Vancouver BC Riots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vancouver BC Riots

I wasn't sure whether to post this here or in Healing/Prayers. Figured I'd post it here for now.

To all of our Vancouver BC members, I truly hope you are all safe and and well.

�Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
    ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
    Sneak Attack
    Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Re: Vancouver BC Riots

I lost 100 million ISK (EVE currency) on this game to a drunk, retired Boston cop. I was rather unhappy.

That said, I wasn't THAT unhappy
    "Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Let a man never stir on his road a step
    without his weapons of war;
    for unsure is the knowing when the need shall arise
    of a spear on the way without.
    -

Comment

DAMMIT I tried sooooo hard not to check facebook because I had to tape the game and didn't want to know the score....didn't think anything would come up here....

Anyway, Jeeeeez Vancouver. I'm from around there, and I'm ashamed of my city when stuff like this happens. The city blames stuff like alcohol, but in Berlin public drinking is LEGAL and happens at EVERY event, and you don't see Berliners rioting when Germany loses the World Cup (which is a BIG deal, probably even bigger than the Stanley Cup....Euros take soccer SERIOUSLY). It's not that Berliners never riot, but it's over political stuff....still stupid but I can see the logic a bit more. Vancouver riots over STUPID stuff. Like losing a GAME, or Guns and Roses canceling their show. It's not the concentration of people on the streets either, because 100,000 or so is nothing compared to the MILLION we get on our streets here to celebrate games, and once again, no riots.

Seriously Vancouver....Seriously.....

I knew this was going to happen too. the Canucks are "my team" so of course I wanted them to win because of that, but a part of me also wanted them to win to avoid this situation. It's what happened in 1994 as well.

A LOT of my friends are in Van, downtown for the game...hope they're ok...

EDIT: Just scrolled through facebook, and everyone I know who lives there is pretty embarrassed for their city, my downtown friends are PISSED because their neighbourhood is a mess (a lot of "WTF, I live here!" status updates), and everyone visiting had the good sense to leave early.
      Last edited by DanieMarie; 15 Jun 2011, 22:27.

Comment

Uh...does this mean that arriving in BC on Saturday is probably a bad thing?

Comment

No, by the end of tomorrow it will be like it never happened.

Comment

I hope you're right

Comment

Well, it's not LA....if there's riots it calms down pretty fast....it's usually just passion of the moment stuff. And the citizens are already coming together to try to fix it....there's a ton of sites and fb and twitter pages up to post pics to aid the police in making arrests and handing out fines, and apparently there's a citizen-led clean up effort scheduled for tomorrow morning.

I'm embarrassed to be from the area, but I'm also proud of how, when crap goes down, they pull together and get through it pretty fast.

Comment

Honestly...I was so tempted to start a drinking game, watching that report. Every time they say "hooligan", take a shot.
                �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
                Sneak Attack

Comment

What is not understood, they destroy...
                  What makes em fear, they destroy...
                  What makes em angry, they destroy...
                  What is different from them, they destroy...
                  What they create, is to destroy or be destroyed...

And I can go on and on... so no surprises there.

Comment

Originally posted by Taiga Pagan View Post
                    What is not understood, they destroy...
                    What makes em fear, they destroy...
                    What makes em angry, they destroy...
                    What is different from them, they destroy...
                    What they create, is to destroy or be destroyed...

And I can go on and on... so no surprises there.
                    I thought Canadians were supposed to understand hockey...
                    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                    sigpic

Comment

Obviously the Canucks defeat was not understood!

Comment

I'm pretty sure this had less to do with hockey and more to do with people looking for an excuse to start trouble.
                        Sneak Attack

Comment

Yeah my dad was saying on facebook that he heard of people going there specifically to start trouble. I'm getting sick of people blaming it on people being drunk. yes, people were drunk, but people get drunk all the time at big events over here (maybe even far drunker than back home) and this stuff doesn't happen, at least not at sporting events or due to alcohol. It's people who want to cause trouble and don't care if they ruin a nice time for everyone else, or wreck up people's neighbourhoods. I see the attitude a lot in my hometown....once someone wrote on its facebook page: "Campbell River for me is getting drunk and wrecking stuff." There are just idiots around who have no regard for anyone else. It also manifests itself here, but in different ways. Over here it's less drunk sports riots and more uppity extreme politics. The same type of people are the ones who end up smashing all the shop windows in Prenzlauer Berg as a protest against "capitalism."

Comment

Originally posted by Juniper Raven View Post
                            I'm pretty sure this had less to do with hockey and more to do with people looking for an excuse to start trouble.
                            ...that is (sadly) usually the case with riots, in which case, there probably would have been one even if they won...
                            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                            sigpic

Comment

Probably: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/...rticle2063226/

Comment

Working...
                              X