Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What's a religion?

Oct 2010
    Religion
    solitary pagan witch with a strong interest in Anglo Saxons
    Phrase
    Phantom Turnips never die. They just get stewed occasionally....

Re: What's a religion?

What's a religion?
    For some people it's just another stick to beat the dog with. (Do you have that saying in the US?)
    www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Jan 2005
    Religion
    Atheist

No...we don't beat dogs. Instead we beat dead horses...
    http://www.roknrol.info <-- if the site's down, just check back later

Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's Relativity.
    - Albert Einstein

“It is not necessary to accept the choices handed down to you by life as you know it.” - Hunter S. Thompson

Oct 2010
    Religion
    solitary pagan witch with a strong interest in Anglo Saxons
    Phrase
    Phantom Turnips never die. They just get stewed occasionally....

Quote Originally Posted by Roknrol View Post
    No...we don't beat dogs. Instead we beat dead horses...
    Ah, that's different. Beating a dead horse here is keeping on with something that obviously isn't going to work. A stick to beat the dog with means an excuse to throw your weight around and bully people. Thanks for the explanation Rok!
    www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Jan 2005
    Religion
    Atheist

It wasn't a very good one, apparently - I guess I misunderstood the meaning of the dog thing. Beating a dead horse means the same over here.
    http://www.roknrol.info <-- if the site's down, just check back later

Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's Relativity.
    - Albert Einstein

“It is not necessary to accept the choices handed down to you by life as you know it.” - Hunter S. Thompson

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Pagan

I would say that religion is the belief in and worship of something bigger than you are, whether that be a god, a pantheon of gods, or even just a concept.

Dec 2005
    Religion
    Chaote: It varies.

The subset of culture dealing with the percieved fundamental nature of reality which is not testable by empirical evidence.
    "A true initiation never ends"-Robert Anton Wilson
    http://www.hermetic.com/crowley
    "Reality has become a commodity"-Stephen Colbert 1/29/07
    http://www.chaosmatrix.org/
    "Sometimes, when you can't breathe, there are people there to breathe for you" - Aesop Rock
    http://upholdingmaat.wordpress.com

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Celtic Pagan
    Phrase
    That was fun. Lets never do that again.

A set of beliefs surrounding a God/Goddess/Gods/Goddesses/Deity/Deities etc

I found out the other day that Buddhism is not a religion but a philosophy because it has none of the above (That was the gist)
    "Otwarty świat; rany zamknięte."
    - Open world; Wounds closed.

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

Quote Originally Posted by Amelia-Mary View Post
    A set of beliefs surrounding a God/Goddess/Gods/Goddesses/Deity/Deities etc

I found out the other day that Buddhism is not a religion but a philosophy because it has none of the above (That was the gist)
    Well...thats the thing, there really is no universally agreed upon definition of religion. For example---legally (as determined by the Supreme Court in the US in US v Seeger) religion (and this is paraphrased) is pretty much any sincerely held belief is God or belief that is held that occupies the same role in one's life that God does.

IMO (based on several different definitions, scholars, etc) Religion is the set of practices one engages AND the belief (which those practices are centered upon) in a form of divinity or its equivalent (such as the teachings of a spiritual leader or predecessor--ie. Buddha). TBH, I think religion is more about what one does than what one believes.

Buddhism (in this example) can really be both a philosophy and a religion (as can Druidry)--dependent upon they practice and how they view and engage with their beliefs.
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

futurefaith

We should separate faith and religion. There are people with a strong faith without religion, and religious fanatics without faith.

Faith is an inner belief in something beyond our material world. It is through our soul and spirit we relate to and interact with something immaterial and bigger than us.

Through our intellect we try and formalize this belief into rituals, creating a religion.

Combining faith and religion we can have a better world.

Removing faith from religion and we have a psychopathic system.

It is better to have faith without religion than religion without faith.

Atheism is a religion as LiadanWillows so rightly pointed out.

Sep 2011
    Religion
    Ritual driven spirituality
    Phrase
    Young and supple

Religion is a way of life that governs your actions, guides your thoughts and determines your goals. It can be a force for personal change and positive empowerment. It is emotional, often evoking: pride, hatred, frustration, contentment and wonder. It is capable of dividing, uniting, creation and destruction.

At it most base level, Religion is a life raft; To be alive is to be marching towards death, and along this way you are constantly dodging adversity or tripping over obstacles and falling flat on your face. Faith and the belief that beyond your situation there is something else, whatever it may be, that can affect your life or promise a change is attractive.
    Giving is its own reward.