Page 130 of 157 FirstFirst ... 3080120128129130131132140 ... LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,300 of 1562

Thread: Whats everyone reading now or read lately

Dec 2012
    Religion
    Pagan

Re: Whats everyone reading now or read lately

Just finished Following The Deer Trods, and now moving onto Mysteries of the Dark Moon: The Healing Power of the Dark Goddess. It seems like it's along the lines of Reclaiming traditions (or what little I know about it) and looks at religion as a more Goddess-centric point of view, which is fine by me since I don't feel comfortable worshiping a male god (nothing against anyone who does, though). It's the second or third book I've read so far which goes along the theory that Proto-Indo-European patriarchal tribes invaded Old Europe, India and the Middle East around 5 to 6 thousand years ago, who's cultures were matriarchal.

While it sounds nice to think there were tribes that were matriarchal in the the past (or more equal), other than Celtic and pre-Nara Japan, I really don't know of any other cultures that treated women equal to men, and verified by scholars. I'm assuming there must have been others out there that were equal, but I'm still not necessarily convinced about matriarchal old Europe, until I've read some recent scholarly work confirming it.

Anything know anything about this subject? Maybe this would be better as a new topic, but I'll just post it here now.
    Last edited by toxicyarnglare; 05 Sep 2016 at 09:26.

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Militant Atheist. The Satanic Temple.

I'm gonna reread Harry Potter because I have addiction issues.
    No one tells the wind which way to blow.

Nov 2005
    Religion
    Pagan Polytheist, primarily Dionysian

I read The Paper Magician. Meh.

I started Reunion of Ghosts which is alright so far.

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

Quote Originally Posted by Raphaeline View Post
    I read The Paper Magician. Meh.
    I liked the idea of it, but yeah, the execution wasn't what I'd hoped. I didn't think it was bad, and in some ways I thought it was cool (I've read all three because I have to if I read one), but it wasn't great and certain aspects were underwhelming.
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

Oct 2013
    Religion
    Egyptian Wiccan
    Phrase
    Daughter of Lord Anubis and Lady Bast.

Reading Wicked by Gregory Maguire. I really like it. Am about halfway through and am hoping to finish it soon.
    Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

May 2005
    Religion
    LaVeyan Satanist
    Phrase
    A Clockwork orange

Quote Originally Posted by anubisa View Post
    Reading Wicked by Gregory Maguire. I really like it. Am about halfway through and am hoping to finish it soon.
    Omg I love that book! I actually bought it waaay back in the day. It was in a 'budget book store' one of those that is only there for like a week and then gone. I found it in a bin for $1. Best budget book I ever got.

So I just finished the novel The Girl with all the gifts by M.R Carey. It's popular right now because the trailer is out (which looks to be very promising after listening to the audiobook!). It was actually based on a shorter story he did for an anthology on zombies. It broke my heart it was so good. And the audiobook narrator did an excellent job portraying innocence and cold hearted all with the same voice. I listened to the audiobook at night into the wee mornings. Insomnia does come in handy at times. I'm putting this up there as my top ten book of all times. Yup. I'm a stoked listener!

And now on to..duh...more zombies! Resurrection by Michael J Totten.
    Satan is my spirit animal

Oct 2013
    Religion
    Egyptian Wiccan
    Phrase
    Daughter of Lord Anubis and Lady Bast.

Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    Omg I love that book! I actually bought it waaay back in the day. It was in a 'budget book store' one of those that is only there for like a week and then gone. I found it in a bin for $1. Best budget book I ever got.

So I just finished the novel The Girl with all the gifts by M.R Carey. It's popular right now because the trailer is out (which looks to be very promising after listening to the audiobook!). It was actually based on a shorter story he did for an anthology on zombies. It broke my heart it was so good. And the audiobook narrator did an excellent job portraying innocence and cold hearted all with the same voice. I listened to the audiobook at night into the wee mornings. Insomnia does come in handy at times. I'm putting this up there as my top ten book of all times. Yup. I'm a stoked listener!

And now on to..duh...more zombies! Resurrection by Michael J Totten.
    I finally finished Wicked and I loved it! I am thinking about reading the two other books related to the Wicked series. I am about to begin The Devil is Here in These Hills. It's about the WV Coal Miners. Looking forward to some history reading.
    Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

May 2005
    Religion
    LaVeyan Satanist
    Phrase
    A Clockwork orange

You know I find myself gravitating to coal miner stories a lot. I finished this year or last maybe(?) The 33 about those Chilean miners. An excellent read!
    Satan is my spirit animal

The Gaze of the Abyss B. de Corbin's Avatar
    Feb 2007
    Religion
    Alchemist and Neo-American Redneck Buddhist
    Frozen Northern Michigan, near Thunder Bay
    Phrase
    Where are the tweezers?

Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    You know I find myself gravitating to coal miner stories a lot. I finished this year or last maybe(?) The 33 about those Chilean miners. An excellent read!
    The movie was also good.
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Oct 2010
    Religion
    stregheria

I am torn between 33 and The complete Star wars series on cable. The star wars series is well over 12-15 hours to binge watch,and it will most likely not remain in on demand that long. That is a LOT of hours to go through.

- - - Updated - - -

If I do the binge,I am going to have to stock up on snacks to see me through.

- - - Updated - - -

I know Mask is a star wars fan,it is on Comcast on TNT on demand. and ends Oct 25. Just a heads up.
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

http://www.paganforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=186&dateline=1330020104

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html