Clear All

Re: Whats everyone reading now or read lately

Currently reading, The Stand
    -Jessica [aka Whitewolf]

Comment

Originally posted by White Wolf View Post
      Currently reading, The Stand
      So...we will see you in a month? That book is so long. But completely crazy awesome.
      Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Yup, you will see me. I tried reading the whole book once. Never did get to finish it.
        -Jessica [aka Whitewolf]

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
          So...we will see you in a month? That book is so long. But completely crazy awesome.
          Reading The Stand always reminded me of trying to read IT as that was also a long book. I think The Stand and IT are Steven King's two longest books. Well single story books I vaguely recall a couple of the story compilations were as long.
          I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
            Reading The Stand always reminded me of trying to read IT as that was also a long book. I think The Stand and IT are Steven King's two longest books. Well single story books I vaguely recall a couple of the story compilations were as long.
            IT is one of my favorite, all time books, though it does suffer from the same affliction that all of Mr. King's novels suffer from: A constant case of beating the dead horse. Even after he makes his point, he keeps driving it into our skulls over and over until it starts to become a little tedious.

As for the Stand, I enjoyed it, but I felt that the second half started to get a little over-preachy with the Christian overtones that the first half didn't have.

Comment

Haven't read it in years but the book The Talisman by King and Peter Straub was an interesting read. You could definitely tell which parts where written by whom though. King is still one of my more favorite authors but I like his older stuff much better than the newer works. Even writing under the Bachman name was better in my opinion than much of his newer works.
              I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

He's an interesting guy. When I had gone to the University of Maine for a few years, since he lived just down the road he would teach one class every semester. It was a freshman lit. class, and for reading material, he would go over his own works. I had the pleasure of sitting in on one of the classes. I had also run into him a number of times on campus, as it was common for him to go to the library there to do some research. There was an unwritten rule that if you did happen to recognize him (he often wore hats and the like, or dressed just like a local), you didn't draw any attention to it. He was just another guy on campus, hanging out just like anyone else.

Comment

I'm reading another kid's story. This time about a fox called 'Gongitsune'... He dies at the end.. you know, as does every animal that appears in Japanese stories aimed at elementary school kids. Because.. honestly, I don't know what this obsession with death is. These books are the ones used in their national curriculum.. so they intend to disturb all their kids with this. First that poor shepherd boy's little white horse, now Gongitsune... Why Japan? Why do you do this???
                  夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

House of Night series. I'm on book 4 at the moment.

Comment

The consumer advocate and former presidential candidate's new museum in Connecticut is filled with items like defective toys and unsafe machines.
                      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                      sigpic

Comment

Started reading Ross Heaven's 'Spirit in The City' again. At times his academic writing style feels somehow off kilter for an essentially shamanistic book, but he draws on such an impressive variety of psychological and sociological research to back up his ideas, flowing from 'here are some facts and figures' to.. 'so while in the trance state...' so seamlessly that the techniques just seem logical and common-sense, almost like I'd already thought of it before he suggested it. I'm not sure why I ever stopped using the book.
                        夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

I recently finished Theatre of the Oppressed by Augusto Boal. I loved it! Boal is a genius! I will say, though, that it's a bit of a pithy read, and it will help if you're familiar with the general aesthetic philosophies of Aristotle, Machiavelli, Hegel, and Brecht before you begin it.
                          OO

Book of Spirals is my author site.
                          The Sentient Hillside is my blog.
                          Spiral Tree is an ezine for pagans I co-founded.

Comment

I'm just about done rereading American Gods by Neil Gaiman and also reading The Poetic Edda for the first time.
                            Come geek out with me and my buddies on The Bizzarp! Podcast - new episodes every Friday!

"Biting my truant pen, beating myself for spite,"Fool," said my Muse to me, "look in thy heart, and write."
                            - Sir Philip Sidney

Comment

Just finished reading the Obsidion trilogy by Mercedes Lackey and James Mallory for the 20 zillionth time...
                              Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                              sigpic

Comment

William Shakespeare's Star Wars: The Phantom of Menace!
                                hey look, I have a book! And look I have a second one too!

Comment

Working...
                                X