Thread: Whats everyone reading now or read lately

Oct 2013
    Religion
    Egyptian Wiccan
    Phrase
    Daughter of Lord Anubis and Lady Bast.

Re: Whats everyone reading now or read lately

Quote Originally Posted by Shahaku View Post
    Fundamentals of Funeral Directing: Accounting. I can now say I hate accounting with a passion, but I passed my test.

I haven’t read anything fun in the last couple weeks... maybe it’s time to remedy that. I have exactly 1 week off before school starts again, then it’s 2 weeks of hell where they jam an 8 week course into 2 measly weeks...

I’m thinking of going back home to the Kushiel series for a bit. It’s been awhile since I read it, but it’s so moving for me that I feel I need to again now. Reading it 5-10 times in 2-3 years was a lot.
    I remember when I was in college and studying for business administration and I had to take accounting. I hated it. I'm not a damn math person. Hell I never made it past geometry. You need it though to run a business.

Latest book I'm reading is The Rise and Fall of Ancient Egypt by Toby Wilkinson.
    Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Reading is Love | Serenity Hutchinson (Online Resume)

The Gaze of the Abyss B. de Corbin's Avatar
    Feb 2007
    Religion
    Alchemist and Neo-American Redneck Buddhist
    Frozen Northern Michigan, near Thunder Bay
    Phrase
    Where are the tweezers?

John Dies in the End.

This is oddly facinating...
    Those who have suffered understand suffering and therefore extend their hand.

I can't do everything, but I can do something.

The Gaze of the Abyss B. de Corbin's Avatar
    Feb 2007
    Religion
    Alchemist and Neo-American Redneck Buddhist
    Frozen Northern Michigan, near Thunder Bay
    Phrase
    Where are the tweezers?

The Lotus Quest: In Search of the Sacred Flower

This is an absolutely facinating book. Sure, it's about a flower, but it's a flower which has had cultural and religious significance from the very beginning of culture and religion.
    Last edited by B. de Corbin; 01 Jun 2019 at 04:42.
    Those who have suffered understand suffering and therefore extend their hand.

I can't do everything, but I can do something.

Mar 2009
    Religion
    Jedi
    Phrase
    The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant compared to the power of the Force.

Delta Force

It was interesting. I think I would have hated Beckwith if I ever dealt with him professionally but his book had some pretty fascinating stuff in it.
    "It is not simply enough to know the light…a Jedi must feel the tension between the two sides of the Force…in himself and in the universe."
    ―Thon

"When to the Force you truly give yourself, all you do expresses the truth of who you are,"

Yoda

Yoda told stories, and ate, and cried, and laughed: and the Padawans saw that life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Jun 2013
    Religion
    Northern Tradition Neo-Paganism
    Phrase
    I drink, and I know things

Yo, has Sapiens been discussed yet?
    ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
    Seen the desert and the birds
    You cut your hair short
    Like a shush to an insult
    The world had been yelling
    Since the day you were born
    Revolting with anger
    While it smiled like it was cute
    That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Mar 2009
    Religion
    Finding sanctity.
    Phrase
    Mistress of the Ban

I'm listening to Salt of the Sea by Ruta Septys. It's so good.
    “The world is big and I want to have a good look at it before it gets dark.” – John Muir

Mostly art.

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

Quote Originally Posted by Heka View Post
    Yo, has Sapiens been discussed yet?
    So...its a really good book from a people standpoint, but not so good from an academic standpoint. I love it and dislike it also.
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

Jun 2013
    Religion
    Northern Tradition Neo-Paganism
    Phrase
    I drink, and I know things

It read like a really interesting lecture, I ate it up. What's up with it academically? I thought it was written by a history professor. Definitely happy to be corrected
    ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
    Seen the desert and the birds
    You cut your hair short
    Like a shush to an insult
    The world had been yelling
    Since the day you were born
    Revolting with anger
    While it smiled like it was cute
    That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

Quote Originally Posted by Heka View Post
    It read like a really interesting lecture, I ate it up. What's up with it academically? I thought it was written by a history professor. Definitely happy to be corrected
    The evolution aspect, both cultural and biological in terms of being a reconstructed history of mankind is problematic...its what is called a "just-so" story, and its pretty much bad science, from biology to anthropology. Yes, its based in facts of evolution, but his presentation itself is not the fact he presents it as. AS much as its overall a good book with good ideas, there's problems with parts of it being spurious.

There are a couple of interesting criticisms of the book that have some merit, this is one of them: https://www.thenewatlantis.com/publi...y-of-humankind, and this is another: https://www.newenglishreview.org/C_R..._Humankind%27/, and https://www.theguardian.com/books/20...-harari-review.
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible