X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Whats everyone reading now or read lately

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
    The Radium Girls: The Dark Story of America's Shining Women by Kate Moore
    The site of that factory wasn't fully cleaned up until just a few years ago. NJ has quite a history of industrial waste.
    sigpic
    Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Bambi.

I somehow went down the rabbit hole and found out it's an Austrian novel so I had to buy it. It's even more depressing than the Disney, not surprisingly, but the flick wasn't exactly happy.
      No one tells the wind which way to blow.

Comment

Originally posted by Bjorn View Post
        Bambi.

I somehow went down the rabbit hole and found out it's an Austrian novel so I had to buy it. It's even more depressing than the Disney, not surprisingly, but the flick wasn't exactly happy.

I had no idea they even made a book!

I am now reading Joe Hill's The Fireman. A world wide epidemic known as 'Dragon scales' hits the streets. You get these scales and and some time after you just 'poof', go up in flames. Sometimes it just happens. Sometimes you go mad. But one man can control it and he's taking in people and showing them 'the bright'.

Something different from the normal zombies.
        Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

I enjoyed The Fireman. It may have been a bit overlong, but I was happy to stick with it.

Comment

Reading Kitchen Table Tarot. Just started it last night and am loving it so far.
            Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
              I had no idea they even made a book!
              I didn't either! I thought Bambi was, yanno, BAMBI. Movie about deers and hunting and sadness. Nope. It was book by a stoic old Austrian named Felix something. Well written. Christian overtones because the alpine folk couldn't get enough of that shit, but still pretty good. I like anything where the theme seems to be "mad is bad."
              No one tells the wind which way to blow.

Comment

Operation Paperclip by Annie Jacobsen.
                Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

Finally took me two months to finish the Fireman by Joe Hill. But boy, it was amazing. And the narrator was none other than Kate Mulgrew! (Captain Janeway)

Now listening to a non fiction book called Cannibalism: A Perfectly Natural History
                  by Bill Schutt.

aaand Scott Siggler's Earthcore. I don't know what it's about. Something in the core of earth. Could be alienish....he's a kooky far out writer. I love his stuff. Always far fetched but compelling.
                  Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

I'm reading It by Stephen King. I just cannot put this book down. It really is a great book so far.
                    Anubisa

Comment

Originally posted by anubisa View Post
                      I'm reading It by Stephen King. I just cannot put this book down. It really is a great book so far.
                      That's my favorite Stephen King book. I've read it a number of times and each go through I pick up something different from it.

Comment

Originally posted by Munin-Hugin View Post
                        That's my favorite Stephen King book. I've read it a number of times and each go through I pick up something different from it.
                        So far I'm loving it (no pun intended). It's really hard to put down.
                        Anubisa

Comment

I got one of the books from my wishlist for my birthday and I'm in love! It's a collection of lore and medicinal information about 12 common British 'weeds' with a strong pagan angle (I think the author is a druid). I've wanted it for months and it is everything I hoped for and more.

Fiona's illustrations are enchanting and Nathaniel's writing style is so entertaining. The opening sentences of the chapter about wild garlic read; 'Pan is an extremely smelly God. If ever you have hovered around a male goat, you will appreciate there are few animals that savour the scent of their own secretions so profoundly.' I think those lines sum up his style quite adequately!

I'm quite sure this will live on my 'sparks Joy' bookcase for many years to come! The images alone keep me captivated for hours. There's so much detail.

夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

That's awesome Jembru. The cover art certainly is beautiful.

Comment

Because it explains so much... http://changingminds.org/techniques/...ll/overall.htm

Specifically these pages: http://changingminds.org/techniques/...eing_right.htm
                              Last edited by thalassa; 07 Aug 2017, 06:33.
                              Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                                You're heading down the dangerous road that leads to logic geekness.

If you want to see whole fistfulls of these techniques in use, watch the Stephen Miller news conference about immigration reform...
                                Last edited by B. de Corbin; 07 Aug 2017, 06:45.
                                Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Working...
                                X