Results 1,041 to 1,050 of 1549

Thread: Whats everyone reading now or read lately

May 2013
    Religion
    Shamanic Practitioner & Green / Hedge Witch with Hellenic leanings
    Phrase
    Can't never did nothing till it tried!

Re: Whats everyone reading now or read lately

Haven't read it in years but the book The Talisman by King and Peter Straub was an interesting read. You could definitely tell which parts where written by whom though. King is still one of my more favorite authors but I like his older stuff much better than the newer works. Even writing under the Bachman name was better in my opinion than much of his newer works.
    I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Dec 2010
    Religion
    Northern Tradition

He's an interesting guy. When I had gone to the University of Maine for a few years, since he lived just down the road he would teach one class every semester. It was a freshman lit. class, and for reading material, he would go over his own works. I had the pleasure of sitting in on one of the classes. I had also run into him a number of times on campus, as it was common for him to go to the library there to do some research. There was an unwritten rule that if you did happen to recognize him (he often wore hats and the like, or dressed just like a local), you didn't draw any attention to it. He was just another guy on campus, hanging out just like anyone else.

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Shamanist Witch with heady Celtic notes and a faint wiccan bouquet

I'm reading another kid's story. This time about a fox called 'Gongitsune'... He dies at the end.. you know, as does every animal that appears in Japanese stories aimed at elementary school kids. Because.. honestly, I don't know what this obsession with death is. These books are the ones used in their national curriculum.. so they intend to disturb all their kids with this. First that poor shepherd boy's little white horse, now Gongitsune... Why Japan? Why do you do this???
    夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Oct 2011
    Religion
    Staroverci

House of Night series. I'm on book 4 at the moment.

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

“You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Shamanist Witch with heady Celtic notes and a faint wiccan bouquet

Started reading Ross Heaven's 'Spirit in The City' again. At times his academic writing style feels somehow off kilter for an essentially shamanistic book, but he draws on such an impressive variety of psychological and sociological research to back up his ideas, flowing from 'here are some facts and figures' to.. 'so while in the trance state...' so seamlessly that the techniques just seem logical and common-sense, almost like I'd already thought of it before he suggested it. I'm not sure why I ever stopped using the book.
    夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Jun 2013
    Religion
    eclectic neo-pagan

I recently finished Theatre of the Oppressed by Augusto Boal. I loved it! Boal is a genius! I will say, though, that it's a bit of a pithy read, and it will help if you're familiar with the general aesthetic philosophies of Aristotle, Machiavelli, Hegel, and Brecht before you begin it.
    OO

Book of Spirals is my author site.
    The Sentient Hillside is my blog.
    Spiral Tree is an ezine for pagans I co-founded.

Oct 2015

I'm just about done rereading American Gods by Neil Gaiman and also reading The Poetic Edda for the first time.

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

Just finished reading the Obsidion trilogy by Mercedes Lackey and James Mallory for the 20 zillionth time...
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

Mar 2013
    Religion
    Christian, worships Yahweh and Jesus, but doesn't care if you don't.

William Shakespeare's Star Wars: The Phantom of Menace!