X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Whats everyone reading now or read lately

Originally posted by Chris the Bold View Post
    Also, name of the wind and a wise man's fear by Patrick Rothfuss
    Good choice there, bud! I can't WAIT for the third one to come out.

Mostly art.

Comment

Picked up my two new books on hold from the library. Best in Horror vol 2 and an awesome graphic novel of Thomas Ligotti short stories. On hold for me is an actual thick book called Weapon X. Yes, they write big ass X-men novels. No pictures. Just good 'ol stories. Can't wait!
      Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
        The Religion of the Etruscans
        This sounds interesting! Was etruscan society in the Mediterranean area? like Italy-ish?

Comment

Originally posted by Chris the Bold View Post
          This sounds interesting! Was etruscan society in the Mediterranean area? like Italy-ish?
          Yep they pre-date the Roman's and even the Greek settlements in Southern Italy. Yet their social and cultural system so complex and complete a lot of it became the backbone for Roman beliefs.

From the book

The standard chronology of the periods of Etruscan cultureis as follows:
          Iron Age/Villanovan—1000/900–750/700 bce
          Orientalizing—750/700–600 bce
          Archaic—600–475/450 bce
          ‘‘Classical’’—475/450–300 bce
          Hellenistic—300 bce–first century bce
          I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

The Road to Hel by H. R. Ellis Davidson. Very dry academic work about after-life beliefs and funerary customs of Teutonic peoples from the Neolithic through the Viking Age. Fascinating stuff. Available as a free legal download at www.heathengods.com .
            I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and Country
            Tribe of my Tribe
            Clan of my Clan
            Kin of my Kin
            Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
            And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Comment

I'm currently reading a couple of books:

Old Irish Tales- A text concerning the more "folksy" and lesser known Irish mythos

Gods and Fighting Men- A book containing various collected myths from Irish literature and oral tradition, especially those concerning the deities and heroes, including one of my favorite heroes Cu' Chulainn!

Gotta love that Ulster Cycle. ^-^

Comment

Originally posted by Unus Mundus View Post
                I'm currently reading a couple of books:

Old Irish Tales- A text concerning the more "folksy" and lesser known Irish mythos

Gods and Fighting Men- A book containing various collected myths from Irish literature and oral tradition, especially those concerning the deities and heroes, including one of my favorite heroes Cu' Chulainn!

Gotta love that Ulster Cycle. ^-^
                Amen, hallelujah, and peanut butter to that.

Now presently reading The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch

Comment

I'm reading a book called Hothouse Flowers/The Orchid House (it had different titles in the UK and US). I'm reading it in German and I'm almost done. It started out as an interesting and gripping story about a pianist grieving over her dead child and husband and the aristocratic family her grandparents worked for (it jumps back to the past). Now that I'm almost done, it's turned into a soap opera on paper. Her husband wasn't really dead, she's the grandchild of the lord of the house who had an affair in post-war Thailand, her sister is adopted....etc. I'm kind of loving it haha. I'd never put up with such an over-the-top plot in English!

Comment

I'm reading Devil of the Highlands.
                    "Turn, and look in the mirror. What do you see?" Her own brown eyes stared back at her until she was nothing but a blur.

"I see you. Red lipstick spread perfectly over your lush mouth, brown eyes that hold centuries upon centuries of secrets. A face made to entice even the most celibate of men and women alike. A red dress that sways and moves with your body, making you a temptation like no other."

Comment

I'm reading several books at the moment. Right now the two worth mentioning are "Be Different," which is about the author's experiences with Asperger's. More than half done with it and it's awesome. The other book is "On Violence," by Hannah Arendt which is an intellectual look on the relationship between power and violence. Also excellent but a bit more abstract than what I had in mind.

Comment

I'm reading papers on, neurological conditions,spinal surgery and general anaesthesia.

Last book I read for fun was "The Worm Ouroboros" by Eddison. (not counting things I read to Winter )

Comment

Originally posted by Optimistic discord View Post
                          Last book I read for fun was "The Worm Ouroboros" by Eddison. (not counting things I read to Winter )
                          Fantastic book!

One of my all time favorites, but it can be a difficult read...
                          Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

"Being With Dying" by Roshi Joan Haliflax and "Boundaries of the Soul: The Practice of Jung's Psychology" by June Singer.

Comment

I'm reading "The Mark" it's the seventh book in The Left Behind series. A very good series thus far.

Comment

I'm re-reading an old friend: Of Men and Monsters by William Tenn.
                                OO

Book of Spirals is my author site.
                                The Sentient Hillside is my blog.
                                Spiral Tree is an ezine for pagans I co-founded.

Comment

Working...
                                X