X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Whats everyone reading now or read lately

Reading The Victors by Stephen Ambrose.
    Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

Deeply Odd, number 7 in the Odd Thomas series.

Miss Edie is a jolly old lady...
      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

CSS instructional book. My brain... it melts!

Comment

This isn't a book. It's a link to a one page comic called Pages. I think everyone here who reads and/or listens to books will totally understand.
          Clickee mee
          Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
            This isn't a book. It's a link to a one page comic called Pages. I think everyone here who reads and/or listens to books will totally understand.
            Clickee mee
            That's brillant
            You remind me of the babe
            What babe?
            The babe with the power
            What power?
            The Power of voodoo
            Who do?
            You do!
            Do what?
            Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Comment

Originally posted by Ljubezen View Post
              CSS instructional book. My brain... it melts!
              You were expecting something better from CSS?
              life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Reading Parable of the Sower now. Gonna follow that up with Parable of the Talents.

There are some really awesome religious ideas in Earthseed.
                Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
                  You were expecting something better from CSS?
                  Well I made it through the book today, I probably shouldn't have crammed 4 chapters into 5 hours but... it's my only day off this week and I wanted it done so I could move on to the next one. I'll let my brain rest for a day or two, let it all sink in, and then look back over my notes to see how much I actually retained and how much needs reminding and extra attention.

Of course... the last chapter said to start looking into things like PHP, JavaScript, MySQL, Dreamweaver, ASP, ColdFusion, Perl, Python, and Ruby on Rails so.... I may have to spread this out a bit if I ever want to get to a point where I can function decently with it and maybe build up some professional foundation for future years.

Tomorrow I'm going to delve into a slow-cooker cookbook a coworker recommended to me called Lazy Day Cooking.

Comment

Two books, one during the day: A druids herbal for the sacred earth year, and then Kalevala at night before bed accompanied by some sleepy time tea with a pinch of mugwort.

Comment

A Witches' Bible: The Complete Witches Handbook by Stewart & Janet Farrar.

The lads and lassies have made it all-the-rage-must-read; curiosity had gotten to me and I decided to investigate. So far, it seems to be an invaluable resource for beginners and a steady read for those that aren't looking for a spell book/how-to be a Witch book.
                      "By yarrow and rue, and my redcap too."

Comment

Well I made it through the book today, I probably shouldn't have crammed 4 chapters into 5 hours but... it's my only day off this week and I wanted it done so I could move on to the next one. I'll let my brain rest for a day or two, let it all sink in, and then look back over my notes to see how much I actually retained and how much needs reminding and extra attention.

Of course... the last chapter said to start looking into things like PHP, JavaScript, MySQL, Dreamweaver, ASP, ColdFusion, Perl, Python, and Ruby on Rails so.... I may have to spread this out a bit if I ever want to get to a point where I can function decently with it and maybe build up some professional foundation for future years.

Tomorrow I'm going to delve into a slow-cooker cookbook a coworker recommended to me called Lazy Day Cooking.
                        You can make a functioning dynamic page with HTML, CSS, PHP and MySQL. PHP can be switched out for another server side programming (markup doesn't cut it here) language and MySQL can be swapped for any database language capable of interacting with PHP or your chosen substitute (another SQL variant works in place of MySQL since they're all pretty similar or something more rare). You can mimic some database features with Python if you want but it's a bad idea for most things. Python is an awesome language in its own right just not as vital to web design. Javascript is a nice bonus and a lot of sites use it. It also gets disabled by a number of more paranoid browsers because malicious Javascript can do messy things.

The other languages mentioned can depending on language replace one of the 4 I mentioned or just add cool stuff. I believe ASP can swap for PHP and ColdFusion can swap for HTML but don't quote me on those (especially ColdFusion). Can't really comment on the others.
                        life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Comment

You can make a functioning dynamic page with HTML, CSS, PHP and MySQL. PHP can be switched out for another server side programming (markup doesn't cut it here) language and MySQL can be swapped for any database language capable of interacting with PHP or your chosen substitute (another SQL variant works in place of MySQL since they're all pretty similar or something more rare). You can mimic some database features with Python if you want but it's a bad idea for most things. Python is an awesome language in its own right just not as vital to web design. Javascript is a nice bonus and a lot of sites use it. It also gets disabled by a number of more paranoid browsers because malicious Javascript can do messy things.

The other languages mentioned can depending on language replace one of the 4 I mentioned or just add cool stuff. I believe ASP can swap for PHP and ColdFusion can swap for HTML but don't quote me on those (especially ColdFusion). Can't really comment on the others.

Braaaiiinnn leaaakiinng. haha My eyes went bug-eyed turning my computer back on after spending how many hours with this earlier today.

It's nice to weed that to-learn list down a bit though, thanks! Friend of mine back in EU does all this weird programming stuff for a living with a massive company, so by next year I'll be able to pick his brain when I get stuck. Nice little bonus to socialization. But I can definitely see this being a years-long learning endeavor. And I'm sure there will be many future posts regarding brain leakage over those years too!

As of today I actually know what database languages and programming languages are. Which is amazing, because I have been technologically illiterate in a very bad way forever... ^^

- - - Updated - - -

P.S. I totally copied and pasted your post to my web training file so I can look at it better when my brain is less mushy. B-)

Comment

Braaaiiinnn leaaakiinng. haha My eyes went bug-eyed turning my computer back on after spending how many hours with this earlier today.

It's nice to weed that to-learn list down a bit though, thanks!
                            I should tell you the bad news now. You can make a dynamic site with those 4 languages but other people may use different ones so if you are hired to work on another person's site then you may need to pick up a new one so you can modify something. Syntax also changes over time so you'll need to keep up with some languages as they change. The good news (see, sometimes I provide that) is that programming (not markup and not database) languages may change syntax but not normally logic. Once you're pretty good at two or three of them, you'll pick up the rest pretty easy. At least, I generally do. I know a guy whose experience is different but he has no talent for the field whatsoever. He gets by on pure determination and a hefty dose of sleep deprivation. He does good work in the end and he enjoys the field but he is the most clear cut example of determination trumping talent (or lack there of) that I've ever met.

Comment

Reading The Nirvana Sutra and rereading The Lotus Sutra in a different translation.

Comment

I should tell you the bad news now. You can make a dynamic site with those 4 languages but other people may use different ones so if you are hired to work on another person's site then you may need to pick up a new one so you can modify something. Syntax also changes over time so you'll need to keep up with some languages as they change. The good news (see, sometimes I provide that) is that programming (not markup and not database) languages may change syntax but not normally logic. Once you're pretty good at two or three of them, you'll pick up the rest pretty easy. At least, I generally do. I know a guy whose experience is different but he has no talent for the field whatsoever. He gets by on pure determination and a hefty dose of sleep deprivation. He does good work in the end and he enjoys the field but he is the most clear cut example of determination trumping talent (or lack there of) that I've ever met.

Stubborn I can do at least.

Well hey, if it was an easy thing, everyone would do it and there would be no viable market for it. Which is more or less what I'm banking on at this point (although getting to a point of being able to make pretty looking and fully functional websites would be a plus in itself).

Comment

Working...
                                X