X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Parenting Debate: To Snip or no?

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
    The reason I bring up the legislating of it is because of this.
    yeah I think it would be better to just spread more info. The problem is, that in the US, there is SO MUCH misinformation about it. Sooooo many people think it's cleaner (it's not), it's healthier (it's not), and all that jazz.

Not to be cynical, but I actually think it has a lot to do with a private medical care system, and it being just one more procedure doctors get to make money from.....It's not covered by health care, and even in Canada a lot of provinces don't cover it, because it's cosmetic. As it should be classified.
    Last edited by DanieMarie; 17 Jun 2011, 17:16.

Comment

Personally, not being a parent or planning on being a parent, my opinion in these matters means diddly-squat.

I think that all forms of physical modification - circumcision, ear piercing (my best friend had one son circumcised due to pressure from the husband & grandmas, got freaked out, left the second son intact... but had all her daughters' ears pierced while they were still babies...), etc. should be done by the individual when they are old enough to decide that it is right for them.

Western society has lost sight of the importance of 'coming of age' rituals, and circumcision, ear piercing, etc. could all be important components of bringing some of the pomp & circumstance back to officially changing life stations.
      The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Though I have no desire to be a parent, if I was to have a boy I would most certainly have him circumcised.

What's going on in SF isn't about circumcision really, if you don't believe me look at the supporter of the bill's web site ... http://www.mgmbill.org/pressrelease20.htm

Now, a few images from that "comic book" http://www.theblaze.com/stories/proo...-anti-semitic/

The thing a lot of people don't get is, without the circumcision Judaism dies. Period end of story. The entire religion is destroyed by removing this one act. The covenant made by Abraham to God is lost, and the Jewish People would be no more. We don't need a Temple, we don't need the Shabbos, we don't need the Mitzvot. But to continue as a religion, as a People, the circumcision must continue.

Comment

I can understand doing it for religious reasons (actually, it's the ONLY reason I can understand doing it, though I still hold that it's personal/cosmetic so public health care shouldn't pay for it), but I'm just curious....why does Judaism die if circumcision dies?

And I can still understand health care not paying for it because a lot of people in North America do it when they're NOT Jewish.
          Last edited by DanieMarie; 17 Jun 2011, 22:16.

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
            I can understand doing it for religious reasons (actually, it's the ONLY reason I can understand doing it, though I still hold that it's personal/cosmetic so public health care shouldn't pay for it), but I'm just curious....why does Judaism die if circumcision dies?
            Because it is the foundation ritual of our religion. Without it the covenant is broken and when it is broken, there is no more bond between the Jewish People and God. It is the outward symbol of our faith and without it a Jewish Male will not be allowed into the World to Come. Even the most secular Jews will normally seek out a mohel to perform the Brit Milah as a circumcision by a doctor is not considered correct by Jews.

It is the foundation, the cornerstone, the marker that cements the bond, and the sacrifice we make to receive the blessing of God.

Comment

Well I'm glad I am marrying a Muslim. They are all circumcised!
              Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

I'm glad I'm dating a Brit...they're all not, and foreskin is fun

Comment

lol never seen an un cut. I like mine cut
                  "Close your eyes, take 20 paces farther than you thought nessesary and just when you think you've lost your way completely.. you'll be there. open your eyes" Alice Hoffman

Comment

Not sure I'd even notice the difference.....
                    www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

I've never seen a cut! It's just not done here.

Comment

I've only seen one uncircumcised man (and that's not for lack of men in my life, lol)... It looked odd compared to a circumcised one. I could see how a kid might get teased over it if they had to shower in high school or something, but for the most part, having something like that done to a child 'because all the parents are doing it' just seems wrong. Of course, we still live in a day & age when the recommended 'treatment' for hermaphroditic children is 'gender assignment' surgery to 'help them fit in', and when no one really wants to protect girls from genital alterations because Gods forbid you step on long-standing cultural toes.

What if male circumcision was more drastic than just removing the foreskin? What if it was something more akin to female circumcision where it basically mutilated the genitalia?
                        The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Uhoh, circumcision... I foresee a multi-page heated debate coming up!
                          [4:82]

Comment

I guess it's also just whatever you're used to. I grew up in Canada where it's a bit more common, but since I wasn't really sexually active I've mostly only seen uncut guys, so it seems odd to me.

I think it's really less common in Canada as well, because they've stopped recommending it, and a lot of provinces stopped paying for it some time ago, which is fair enough because as much as I'm "pro tax dollars for health care" I'm not really for spending tax dollars to have 50% of the population get cosmetic surgery (which really, is what it is). If you really have to do it, fine, but like anything else cosmetic, you should have to pay for that.

Edit: and I thought that more Canadian guys were than weren't, but just goes to show you how sexually active I was, because apparently it was never more than half, and currently for parents now, it's as low as 3% in Quebec to only 27% in the West.
                            Last edited by DanieMarie; 18 Jun 2011, 08:20.

Comment

Lol Dumuzi everyone has been very mature so far.

and Perz.... whats a female circ? i'mm afraid to google it LOL
                              "Close your eyes, take 20 paces farther than you thought nessesary and just when you think you've lost your way completely.. you'll be there. open your eyes" Alice Hoffman

Comment

I think its removal of the clitoris? Yeah, pretty barberic!

Comment

Working...
                                X