Tea Blend Recipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tea Blend Recipes

Post your fave blends, and what you use it for!
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Re: Tea Blend Recipes

Mellow Red

1 part Kava
    1 part Chamomile
    1 part hibiscus

I actually cold brew this and drink it iced. It has a bit of a tart, cinnamony, almost fennel flavor.

Southern Sweet Refresher

1 Louisianne tea bags
    2 peppermint tea bags
    1/2 c sugar
    1 qts water

Sun brew, then refrigerate. Tastes like sweet tea with a minty kick.

Nightey-Night Flower Milk

Infuse chamomile in warm milk instead of making tea, add a dash of vanilla. Yummy!
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

sigpic

Comment

2 tsp hibiscus
      1 tsp rose hips
      1 tsp lemon zest
      1 (tea) cup of water

Steep in tea pot for 15-20 minutes, strain and sweeten, pour over ice if desired.

I typically drink this cold. It's very tangy and refreshing. If for some reason I didn't eat enough fruit that day I'll use twice as much for a big vitamin C boost.

My own personal Masala Chai recipe:
      2 very generous pinches of cardamom (it comes to approximately 1 1/2 tsp)
      1 very generous pinch each of cinnamon and orange zest
      A smaller pinch each of nutmeg, ginger, allspice, and cloves (or 2-3 whole cloves)
      An even smaller pinch of black pepper
      A mug filled with a 50:50 ratio of water and milk
      A black or green tea bag
      Vanilla extract

Heat the water/milk mixture to near boiling, add the spices and tea bag to tea pot; pour water/milk over the spices and tea and steep for 15-20 minutes, removing the tea bag after 2-5 minutes. Strain and add sweetener and a dash of vanilla extract; drink hot or pour over ice.
      Last edited by Clive; 10 Aug 2011, 12:14.
      Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
      -Erik Erikson

Comment

My favorite blend I make is

2 parts black currant tea
        1 part Hibiscus
        1 part rose hips

I drink it hot or iced. I cant have any chamomile anything since my ragweed allergies are so high so I have to be inventive LOL

Comment

Love teas! Let me copy my tea recipes over:

Sweet, soothing tea
          • 6-12 oz of water
          • fresh or dried rose petals (4)
          • dried grass (a pinch)
          • dried geranium flowers (8)

Boil, and enjoy as a tea to greet old friends over.

Lavender Mint
          • 6-12 oz of water
          • fresh orange mint leaf (1)
          • dried lavender flowers buds (7)
            OR
          • fresh lavender flowers and/or leaves (3)
          • green tea bag (1)

Purification, cleansing, a tea for any cold day, refreshing and puts your mind at ease.

Sleepy Time
          This tea causes drowsiness and may impair people.
          Consult a trusted doctor/naturopath first before consumption
          • 6 oz of water
          • dried valerian root (a pinch)
          • dried ginger root (graded at discretion)
          • fresh lemon juice or concentrate (2 drops)
          • teaspoon of honey (optional)

Well.. it makes you sleepy! Be careful, valerian causes sleepiness.

Mint Explosion
          • 12 oz of water
          • fresh peppermint leaf (3)
          • fresh spearmint leaf (4)
          • fresh orange mint leaf (3)
          • fresh chocolate mint leaf (optional)

Any purpose, really, aids in digestion most importantly.

Mushroom Longevity
          • 6 oz of water
          • teaspoon of ground reishi mushroom (2)
          • spearmint leaf (add to cup after for decoration)

Ling Zhi is an amazing longevity tea. Reishi is revered in Traditional Chinese Medicine as the mushroom of immortality.

Pomegranate Tea
          • water (12 oz.)
          • green tea leaves (1 bag; 1 tsp)
          • fresh pomegranate arils, or seeds (5)
          • fresh peppermint leaf (1)

Green tea and pomegranate arils in water,
          slowly work up to a boil (approximately 10 minutes),
          add peppermint leaf at boil,
          boil for 1-2 minutes, then serve.

Nightfall Tea Time
          • water (12 ounces)
          • garden sage (1 small to medium leaf)
          • golden sage (1 small leaf)
          • cinnamon basil (1 leaf)
          • orange mint (1 leaf)
          • black tea/orange pekoe (1 teaspoon)

bring water to a light boil,
          drop in both sage leaves and cinnamon basil,
          boil for 2-3 minutes,
          drop in orange mint leaf,
          turn heat off and let steep for a minute,
          then add black tea.
          serve and enjoy.

This tea is great just before bed.

Something Different
          • Water (12-16 oz)
          • Orange peel (3, size of thumb nail)
          • Golden Sage (1, small)
          • Garden Sage (1, small)
          • Cinnamon Basil (1, small)
          • Ground cinnamon (1 pinch)
          • Green Tea bag (1-3 Tsp)
          • Black tea bag (1-3 Tsp)

Bring water to boil,
          Add in green tea, orange peels, golden sage, garden sage, cinnamon basil, pinch of ground cinnamon.
          Boil for 2 minutes,
          Remove from heat,
          Add in black tea bag, once you see a burst of color emerging from the bag, remove it. This is to give it a defined taste and color. If you leave it in, the tea will taste like black tea with cinnamon.

This one I whipped up once when I just wanted something different.

Comment

I wrote a reply to this thread, but it never came through. I guess a moderator didn't like my recipes?

Comment

Originally posted by calcite View Post
              I wrote a reply to this thread, but it never came through. I guess a moderator didn't like my recipes?
              I see your previous post (the one on the 18th, with some tasty looking teas?)...so I'm not sure what happened. We aren't very big on censorship or removing posts (at least not intentionally), so no one would have removed it..............though from time to time the forum has been known to hiccup (when we first switched over, we had "post snacking" problems where half a post would disappear, and I've had problems with posts being sacrificed to the internet gods as well...

~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by calcite View Post
                Mushroom Longevity
                • 6 oz of water
                • teaspoon of ground reishi mushroom (2)
                • spearmint leaf (add to cup after for decoration)

Ling Zhi is an amazing longevity tea. Reishi is revered in Traditional Chinese Medicine as the mushroom of immortality.
                This is pretty cool - I thought I was the only one drinking mushroom tea...

You can make a very similar tea from the common turkey tail mushrom, or from pretty much any hard, woody, bracket fungus (as far as I know, there is not one single toxic bracket fungus, and they all are supposed to be good for the immune system). The "Ice Man" was found to be carrying a cord strung with the birch polyphore - it was probably intended to be used as tinder (it's still used for that purpose today), but it could also have been intended as a survival food for wilderness journeys.

For those of you who have never had mushroom tea, it has a mild, earthy taste, slightly sweet, and an aroma that says "forest." It's really very nice - you need to boil the mushrooms in water for about 10 minutes - you can't just steep it.
                Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                  I see your previous post (the one on the 18th, with some tasty looking teas?)...so I'm not sure what happened. We aren't very big on censorship or removing posts (at least not intentionally), so no one would have removed it..............though from time to time the forum has been known to hiccup (when we first switched over, we had "post snacking" problems where half a post would disappear, and I've had problems with posts being sacrificed to the internet gods as well...
                  Gotcha, gotcha! Thank you for the clarification. I was so, so confused.. I typed up all that and I'm just trying to think, "Well where did it go? :P"

---------- Post added at 12:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:40 PM ----------

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                  For those of you who have never had mushroom tea, it has a mild, earthy taste, slightly sweet, and an aroma that says "forest." It's really very nice - you need to boil the mushrooms in water for about 10 minutes - you can't just steep it.
                  "Boil for taste, steep for benefits," I always say. Prolonged boiling decomposes many of the compounds and chemicals which make the herbs medicinally beneficial to us, as well as killing off enzymes, antioxidants, and such. With spearmint or mint teas, these enzymes and chemicals are important and the sole role of aiding digestion.. so you'd want to steep.

Many do boil for taste, purely, as it extracts woodier, hardier, earthier tastes from the plant material, and that always adds an "I don't know that" touch. For medicine and longevity, you would steep. Those antioxidants are one good reason why tea should be drunk... especially over sodas and denatured beverages. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for doctoring up water to have a unique taste and loaded with beneficial electrolytes.. but do it naturally, man.

Rose hips and sugar = fruit punch. Take some water, play around with natural herbs to get a taste, add some coconut water... boom: you have the next best sports drink.
                  Last edited by Guest; 04 Sep 2011, 08:51.

Comment

I really want to try mushroom tea now...

Headache Relief Tea

1 tablespoon chamomile or peppermint
                    1 large pinch of rosemary (powdered or at least ground down a bit)

Steep in tea pot for 15-20 minutes, strain and drink slowly while inhaling the steam.

Tea for Teeth and Gums

1 teaspoon each:
                    Peppermint
                    Spearmint
                    Garden Sage
                    Optional: One pinch of cloves

Steep for 20 minutes, strain. For each sip, swish the tea around your mouth for about thirty seconds and then spit out. Repeat until the cup is empty. I found this to be very useful when I had gingivitis really bad. Peppermint and spearmint are supposed to be good for infections of the gums and sage strengthens the mucous membrane. The cloves would be useful for soothing pain if you can stand the taste.
                    Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
                    -Erik Erikson

Comment

Originally posted by Clive View Post
                      I really want to try mushroom tea now...

Headache Relief Tea

1 tablespoon chamomile or peppermint
                      1 large pinch of rosemary (powdered or at least ground down a bit)

Steep in tea pot for 15-20 minutes, strain and drink slowly while inhaling the steam.
                      Will have to give that ago,as i suffer from headaches alot

Comment

Working...
                      X