Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The boy who died

May 2005
    Religion
    LaVeyan Satanist
    Phrase
    A Clockwork orange

The boy who died

I couldn't think of a short enough or witty enough title. It should really read:

"Boy Who Died Locked in Cage Wrote About Wanting His Family to Like Him"
    I know we've all read about horrific stories about children who are abused or get locked away in their parent's basement. But this story just hit such a sour note with me I had to post it.

GARY, Indiana -- By the time 13-year-old Christian Choate was allegedly beaten to death and buried in a shallow grave in a Gary, Ind., trailer park in 2009, his family had been getting semiregular visits from child welfare authorities for more than 10 years.

The Indiana Department of Child Services' inch-thick case file on the Choate family details more than a dozen investigations of allegations of abuse or neglect dating to 1999. In 2009, Indiana prosecutors say, Christian died after years of abuse, finally succumbing to head injuries caused by blows from his father and older sister.

Click here to find out more!

Related
    Father Gets 15-years for Child Rape, Torture and Imprisonment Father Gets 15-years for Child Rape, Torture and Imprisonment
    Man Charged with Abuse, Torture of Girlfriend's Child Man Charged with Abuse, Torture of Girlfriend's Child
    Father Accused of Savage Family Torture, Murder Appears in Court Father Accused of Savage Family Torture, Murder Appears in Court
    Stories Stories
    Couple Wanted in Torture of 5 Year Old Boy Couple Wanted in Torture of 5 Year Old Boy
    Jurors Recommend Death for Couple in Child Torture Case

Christian's father, Riley Choate, and stepmother, Kimberly Kubina, were charged with murder in May after the older sister, now 17, told authorities about the boy's death.
    Reports released by juvenile court officials Friday provide a portrait of the boy's short, terrifying life — and of missed opportunities to stop the alleged abuse.

Less than a year before he died, DCS records state an investigator interviewed the boy, his parents and siblings in response to a neighbor reporting Christian was kept under "house arrest."

Prosecutors allege Christian endured beatings daily and was kept locked in a 3-foot-high dog cage, where he had little to eat and often soiled himself. The DCS report, dated June 2008, says there was no evidence of neglect.

"We followed all state laws all policies and procedures, and we'll continue assessing this fatality," DCS spokeswoman Anne Houseworth said Friday.

The abuse in Christian's case was exceptional, Houseworth said Friday, but DCS staff did follow agency protocols and performed a thorough investigation of the allegations.

"If we don't see evidence of abuse, and no one admits anything is going on, there is nothing for us to do," Houseworth said.

Also included in the reports are medical records that show Christian made numerous visits to a pediatrician from 2007 to 2008. Notes on the report show his weight dropping consistently, and he told his doctor he was "hit with the door in his bedroom" two days before a February 2007 visit.

A month later, handwritten notes from the doctor state Christian complained of being "very angry all the time."

A March 2008 note reads, "He's locked up at night."

The doctor did not report any abuse to authorities, Houseworth said.

School officials lost track of the boy in 2007, after Kubina informed district officials the boy would be home-schooled. DCS investigators reviewed some of Christian's "assignments" from Kubina, and it appears the boy took the opportunity to express his thoughts and feelings at the time.

"Christian's writings detail a very sad, depressed child who often wondered when someone, anyone, was going to come check on him," the report states. "(He) wrote of why nobody liked him and how he just wanted to be liked by his family ... how isolated and sad Christian was on a daily basis."
    sauce

I have a few choice thoughts about these people and the whole situation. Those who think being a parent is a right might want to just drift their asses right on out of this thread. It's a privilege you should earn.
    Satan is my spirit animal

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Pagan/totalist?

Re: The boy who died

this is sick... ugh... i dont have strong enough words to describe how i feel... ugh... this is so incredibly wrong!! and noone could do shit for this poor little boy!! UGH
    "Close your eyes, take 20 paces farther than you thought nessesary and just when you think you've lost your way completely.. you'll be there. open your eyes" Alice Hoffman

lady sings the blues DanieMarie's Avatar
    Oct 2009
    Religion
    Solitary Pagan

I don't know how people do things like this. It just goes so beyond cruelty that it makes me sick.

It reminds me of a book (a memoir, so true story) called "A Child Called It." Luckily that boy got out into foster care and lived to be able to write his memoir, but not all children do.

Dec 2010
    Religion
    Eclectic Pagan/Stregheria

Humans are one of my least favorite species and stories like this are why.

Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Oct 2010
    Religion
    solitary pagan witch with a strong interest in Anglo Saxons
    Phrase
    Phantom Turnips never die. They just get stewed occasionally....

Duw, Medusa, those are terrible stories. And there must be hundreds, thousands more whose stories are never even told. And in some ways that#s the most terrifying realisation of all.

Thanks for reminding us.
    www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

People like this are the reason why I don't think the death penalty should be eradicated. Or how about the parents of Briana Lopez?
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

Jun 2007
    Religion
    Norse Something-or-Other
    Phrase
    Nice is not the same as good.

Exactly Thal...I think that most people who try to get rid of the death penalty forget just what monsters human beings can become. Some people do things horrific enough to suspend their natural rights. The death penalty seems almost charitable at that point.

Oct 2009
    Religion
    Solitary Pagan

As someone who doesn't believe in the death penalty (especially having grown up and live in two countries that don't have it) I think we could make exceptions for cases like this.

Jun 2007
    Religion
    Norse Something-or-Other
    Phrase
    Nice is not the same as good.

Quote Originally Posted by DanieMarie View Post
    As someone who doesn't believe in the death penalty (especially having grown up and live in two countries that don't have it) I think we could make exceptions for cases like this.

You know, Danie, I'm thinking there's something in what you just said worth pointing out: most people who do support the death penalty don't support it for every poor soul dumb enough, or angry enough, or poor enough to land in prison. It's not "you stole a loaf of bread...off with your head!". It's because there are a select few who's actions are beyond terrible. It is obvious that they did the deed in question, they have no remorse, and are unfit to ever be among other human beings again. That is what support of the death penalty is supposed to be about. Those creatures. The ones that in any other day and age probably would have been strung up before law enforcement even got there.

Oct 2009
    Religion
    Solitary Pagan

Quote Originally Posted by DeseretRose View Post
    You know, Danie, I'm thinking there's something in what you just said worth pointing out: most people who do support the death penalty don't support it for every poor soul dumb enough, or angry enough, or poor enough to land in prison. It's not "you stole a loaf of bread...off with your head!". It's because there are a select few who's actions are beyond terrible. It is obvious that they did the deed in question, they have no remorse, and are unfit to ever be among other human beings again. That is what support of the death penalty is supposed to be about. Those creatures. The ones that in any other day and age probably would have been strung up before law enforcement even got there.
    Yeah I'm aware of that

I just meant that I don't support it in general, but I think it could have a place in very extreme circumstances. Like in the case of political leaders who have committed genocide, and not just murderers but the case of murderers who have tortured their victims (like in this case).