This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Whack-Job Threshold

I would love to see your opinions when the 3rd Korea War will happen... make no mistake, it will happen...

Thinking that humans are wise, reasonable, non impulsive and fundamentally good, is something that goes above my WJT. It's BS, and it's simply madness to think such.

I am more for balanced actions, where we all gain something and lose something, between each sides.

Comment

Since the first one never really ended (technically there is still a state of war between the Koreas) I'll probably wonder when the second one happened. That said, I find it entertaining that you've completely dodged half a dozen posts to make a point that has no bearing on what you are being challenged over.
      life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

I don't personally care much what people believe provided their actions remain more or less legal and sociable. However, Taiga, your claims are extremely dangerous because of the murderous intent they could easily arouse and justify. So, just to nail my colours to the mast here:

My ancestors are not responsible for my actions because they never even knew I would exist.
        I am not responsible for my ancestor's actions because I wasn't there at the time and nobody could ask me how I might feel about it.

And anyone who claims otherwise is talking bollocks. Sorry. That's just the way I feel about it.

With regard to the original post however, I admit I have been lurking around, wondering whether or not to post here. Why? Because I strongly suspect that I have crossed the line already and would probably meet most people's criteria for a Whack-Job Threshold. Fairies, dragons, ghosts, magic.... I never started out wanting to believe in any of it. Life just had a way of introducing me to some really strange stuff...
        www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Dragons, cool...

Anything past that and I'm sticking to the universe being vast and strange. Many things are possible.
          life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post

With regard to the original post however, I admit I have been lurking around, wondering whether or not to post here. Why? Because I strongly suspect that I have crossed the line already and would probably meet most people's criteria for a Whack-Job Threshold. Fairies, dragons, ghosts, magic.... I never started out wanting to believe in any of it. Life just had a way of introducing me to some really strange stuff...
            You mean I'm not a whack-job in your eyes?
            my etsy store
            My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
            surrounded by plush, downy things,
            ill prepared, but willing,
            to descend."

Comment

Originally posted by Caelia View Post

Holy cats, Caelia! If you might be, I definitely am.

But then, I too never once denied being a whack-job, quack or whatever, for the things I believe in. Just that I don't think I am. What others may think of me is still open for debate.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
                Someone said it a page or two ago, but I can't find it again.

Often, it's not so much the belief itself that hits the Whack-Job Threshold, it's the presentation.

For instance, I've been shopping for books on lunar lore & magic this morning (there ain't a lot out there that isn't Wicca-centric), and I ran across one by Al G. Manning. Now, some people go ghost hunting and haunted-house hunting, there are folks (especially out here in proximity to Area 51/Groom Lake) that look for UFOs, I myself believe in faeries/deva/elementals after a fashion. Tylluan, you are always a fantastic resource for the folk-tales & beliefs of your locality.

But Al G. Manning, who has written numerous books on ghosts, hauntings, UFOs, pyramids, etc. & so forth, and contributed blurbs to numerous 'Secrets of the Ages' type encyclopedia/Time-Life collections, hits my WJT with a resounding gong. He always has, ever since I was like, 7 & beginning to be interested in cryptozoology, which used to be lumped together w/other 'occult' titles, witchcraft, etc. under the old Dewey Decimal System. It's not that the information is too 'out there' for me, it's because every single one of them is written like he's pitching a lemon to me from a used car lot. They're all about using 'the power of the pyramids/psychism/magic(k)™/spiritual ectoplasmic goo' to improve your life!!!11!!!!!' In fact, I've always been leery of Manly P. Hall's stuff because every time I see a book title w/his name on it, my brain associates the way his name looks w/Al G. Manning's name, that's how hard he hit my WJT.

I never thought about Tom Cruise in any fashion until he started jumping on couches & eating placentas. It may have indeed been a publicity stunt because it got people thinking about him who wouldn't normally think about him in the first place. Either way, it hit my WJT along with the rest of Scientology.

(Ah, Gods, I just looked at Manning's ESP Lab website and now I am blind...)
                The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Originally posted by ChainLightning View Post
                  Holy cats, Caelia! If you might be, I definitely am.

But then, I too never once denied being a whack-job, quack or whatever, for the things I believe in. Just that I don't think I am. What others may think of me is still open for debate.
                  It won't let me plus you, but this totally made my day and is plus-worthy lol
                  my etsy store
                  My blog

to descend."

Comment

This is exactly why I think that attitudes should take precedence over content when determining whether something passes the WJT. Life experiences lead people in all sorts of directions that might seem illogical from the outside, but make sense given the steps to get there.

Heck, if someone had told me 5 years ago that I'd have a shrine to Freyr in my kitchen, I would have laughed them out of the room. But here I am...and some of the things I believed 100% (Exibit A?) 5-10 years ago sound pretty darn silly.
                    Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

Exactly, DR. We're all whack-jobs to someone else. Luckily if we're still capable of discourse about it I feel it works out fine.
                      my etsy store
                      My blog

to descend."

Comment

Second you both! DR and Caelia.

Comment

It IS the presentation. We've seen that, quite clearly, in this very thread.

Most people on the site, here, have no bones about another's beliefs until those beliefs are presented in a fashion that offends, at least, one's sensibilities.

Specifically, as an example, if I believe in flying purple monkeys, nobody would really bat an eyelash. Maybe a quiet, "yeah, whatever" under their breath and go about their business - or at most, a tinfoil hat joke. It's when I start telling detailed stories and expect readers to believe in the same flying purple monkeys just because I said so, even though I might even try to back it up with some flying purple monkey anecdotes, that people starting putting up a hand to ward me off.

Ward off that lunacy, lest it be contagious. Or fatal.

It's really what people expect me to think (and sometimes do) that fires my WJT. And that expectation is only shown by their presentation, not by their beliefs.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

Hey, your Purple Flying Monkey could be the next Flying Spaghetti Monster, may He bless you with His noodly appendages. Ramen.
                            The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Originally posted by perzephone View Post
                              Hey, your Purple Flying Monkey could be the next Flying Spaghetti Monster, may He bless you with His noodly appendages. Ramen.
                              This just made me laugh hysterically out loud in my office LMFAO!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Caelia View Post
                                Certainly not! Perish the thought!
                                www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Working...
                                X