This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Whack-Job Threshold

The one thing I can honestly say about homeopathy is that, at the given dosages and amounts, unless you are extremely allergic/sensitive to alcohol extracts, it can't hurt you.

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
    As I understand it, its not your internal organs so much as your connective tissues--your fascia. Either way, the philosophy of rolfing doesn't have any scientific grounding...but the technique of it has some, for completely different reasons (like altering muscle tone).
    In my quest for back-pain relief (I've got scoliosis), I tried going to a 'licensed rolfer', trained at the Rolfing Institute in Colorado. It seemed like chiropractics at first - rubbing, stretching, some posture work... and then the rolfer tried to reach my spine through my guts, while telling me that my intestines weren't aligned with the gravitational field.

Spinal surgery seemed a lot less invasive at that point.
    The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Well,as far as internet terms I found this,and it was only the first one in the Google search.

This site contains thousands of definitions about computers, the Internet, and the online world of business, technology & communication :-) A popular online dictionary it includes one of the largest collections of text messaging, acronyms and smileys!

Then there is this on Pagan terms,though I haven't looked close yet.

The Pagan one seems a little sparse but the net lingo one is huge.
      Last edited by anunitu; 23 Feb 2012, 09:39.
      MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
      NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
      don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
      http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by perzephone View Post
        and then the rolfer tried to reach my spine through my guts, while telling me that my intestines weren't aligned with the gravitational field.

Spinal surgery seemed a lot less invasive at that point.
        Oh geeze...yeah, I'd have issues with that as well. I was going to a massage therapist for awhile that had has some training in rolfing, but wasn't a Rolfer (if that makes sense), and she did wonders for my carpal tunnel and ulnar compression issues.
        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
        sigpic

Comment

LOL, you actually do have a muscle that could be jacking up your posture and causing you pain that can ONLY be reached by going through your guts to your spine. It's called ilio-psoas and it is a very deep muscle. I'd work on it if I felt it was necessary, it's the "gravitational field" bit that makes it sound crazy to me. And rolfing makes sense to me because it focuses on fixing things that have gotten out of whack as we've grown. Scar tissue can and does affect your body's alignment and posture. And alignment and posture is just about everything when it comes to pain management. Sorry... /tangent.

Craniosacral therapy is something I'm still on the fence about, I wish they'd call it an energy modality rather than trying to church it up the way they do. I don't call Reiki anything other than energy medicine. *sigh*

WJT... my tolerance is pretty high. I used to get worked up over "Christian" Wicca. I mean, wtf? Really? Most new agey BS makes my teeth itch, in fact. I can even get on board with laughing at the vampire thing, but I've seen energy vampires in action... not the kind that SAY they are... but the kind that just suck all the goodness out of a room, make you exhausted to be around and just plain angry in their presence for no apparent reason. These kind of folks are usually not aware that they are even doing it.

Actually my tolerance for the pagan / new age community is alot higher than it is for the "adult" community. And society in general (bigotry, etc.)

As with most others here, alot of the things I believe in I'm sure are crazy when viewed by others. So, I try really hard not to do anything but snicker quietly behind my hand at other folks who I think are ridiculous.
          Last edited by Omidottir; 03 Mar 2012, 06:18.

Comment

Originally posted by Omidottir View Post
            LOL, you actually do have a muscle that could be jacking up your posture and causing you pain that can ONLY be reached by going through your guts to your spine. It's called ilio-psoas and it is a very deep muscle. I'd work on it if I felt it was necessary, it's the "gravitational field" bit that makes it sound crazy to me.
            I'm familiar w/my iliopsoas, lol. My chiropractor/ortho guy gave me some yoga postures that are relatively effective - but because of the scoliosis, I am resigned to the fact that I won't get lasting relief from anything. I'm just hoping that it doesn't progress any further than it already has too soon. But the rolfer seriously invaded my personal spaces.
            The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Nut jobs? For me, that would be almost every Wiccan that has ever featured in a tv documentory or been interviewed in a non-pagan magazine.

I know they twist stuff to make these people seem nutty, but they always seem to find the fluffiest, weirdest or ego-centred individuals.

Having said that, I know a very respectable Wiccan who was interviewed by a local newspaper and they very much twisted what she said and only featured the stranger parts of the interview. So I do know they're not all the nutcases they come over as!
              夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Originally posted by perzephone View Post
                I'm familiar w/my iliopsoas, lol. My chiropractor/ortho guy gave me some yoga postures that are relatively effective - but because of the scoliosis, I am resigned to the fact that I won't get lasting relief from anything. I'm just hoping that it doesn't progress any further than it already has too soon. But the rolfer seriously invaded my personal spaces.
                It can be frustrating. :/ And yeah, it is an invasive procedure to work on that muscle. So, I totally understand. Glad the yoga provides at least some relief.

Comment

my idea of wack - jobs? Doctors.
                  well, the ones that shouldnt have graduated. I had a client for a while (like six months) that when she first came to me pointed at hte middle of her back and said "i have pain right here in my scalenes" - the scalenes are muscles in your NECK, from your cervical verterbrae to your upper three ribs- and she was a cardiac surgeon. you know what they call the person htat graduates last from medical school, right? doctor.

Comment

Originally posted by Taliesyn View Post
                    my idea of wack - jobs? Doctors.
                    well, the ones that shouldnt have graduated. I had a client for a while (like six months) that when she first came to me pointed at hte middle of her back and said "i have pain right here in my scalenes" - the scalenes are muscles in your NECK, from your cervical verterbrae to your upper three ribs- and she was a cardiac surgeon. you know what they call the person htat graduates last from medical school, right? doctor.

So.. would that be a 'quack-job' then?
                    夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Working...
                    X