Homeschool-type Resources

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Homeschool-type Resources

I thought I'd start a thread for homeschooling resources in general and specific lesson plans of interest. I've started the goal of a monthly post on a school-at-home lesson on my blog, and thought I'd post it to start off!
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Re: Homeschool-type Resources

I don't have any home schooling resources, but, since I am an art teacher, I have a lot of lesson plans for art assignments.

If anybody i interested, feel free to contact me - I'm happy to share.
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
      I don't have any home schooling resources, but, since I am an art teacher, I have a lot of lesson plans for art assignments.

If anybody i interested, feel free to contact me - I'm happy to share.
      Absolutely!

Mine are pretty happy at that gluing macaroni and slapping paint on a page stage right now, but eventually, I'd like some ideas to actually let them acquire some skills, lol...

...or heck, I'd like to acquire some skills...

forget lesson plans for the kids, can you give me online art lessons?
      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
        forget lesson plans for the kids, can you give me online art lessons?
        LOL - stay tuned...
        Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Can it extend to college?

Find free online courses, lectures, and videos from the best colleges in the country. Take online classes from schools like Yale, MIT and Stanford.

I think some of the courses and lectures on there could apply to high school as well.

Comment

Its not free (its not expensive either), but it looks interesting, and it covers math for pre-K to 8th grade... http://www.ixl.com/

Also, Khan Academy, which *is* free! (here's Salman Khan @ the TED talking about how he got started)

sigpic

Comment

So...we have decided to make the commitment to homeschool for the next two years and I will be reviving this thread...

You have been warned!

By the way Corbin, I know you teach high school, but if you have any art lessons that can be made preschool level and would go well with a lesson on life cycles, I'd be ecstatic.
              sigpic

Comment

A lot of universities have entire courses online, as series of youtube videos. UC Berkley, Harvard, Cambridge, and Stanford are just a few.
                Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

And MIT now has free resources online,check them out sometime.
                  MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                  NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                  don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                  http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

I did my AS levels (I'm from the UK) at home by teaching myself. If anyone's thinking of doing that, feel free to drop me a message if you've got questions or want any help. It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be.

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                      So...we have decided to make the commitment to homeschool for the next two years and I will be reviving this thread...

You have been warned!

By the way Corbin, I know you teach high school, but if you have any art lessons that can be made preschool level and would go well with a lesson on life cycles, I'd be ecstatic.
                      http://www.fungi.com/kits/index.html

(hopefully, your kids won't look quite as scary as the one in the photo)

Oyster mushrooms are amazingly easy to grow, and have a fast life cycle. Start with one of the indoor patches, have the kids tend it & record developments (drawing and/or photos). When mushrooms develop, take a spore print, look at spores under a microscope, draw/photograph, etc.

Then, teach them a little sterile culture work. Some disposable petri plates, a bit of agar, a sterile glove box made from cardboard, a pressure cooker... My kids could inoculate a petri dish before they could butter their own toast.

And there ya go, a full fungi life cycle.

Or just get them a pair of bunnies...

I think, if I were doing this, Thalassa, I would incorporate art into the lesson in two different ways - 1. art as a way of documenting a process, and 2. art as a reaction to observation, in which the natural forms are used as a springboard for an original artwork.

Comment

I have a book on my shelf called Pagan Homeschooling by Kristin Madden. I think I bought it when I was thinking of starting a Spiral Scouts chapter. Never read it, but I thought you might find the idea interesting.

Comment

Ok....I have never heard of Spiral Scouts. What is this? I'm assuming it's a pagan group similar to girl scouts?

Thal, congrats on the homeschooling! I think you'll do a great job. I would strongly suggest Saxon Math. The program is excellent.

Right now, I'm not planning on homeschooling, but I'm not assuming my kids will get much of an education, either...more like covering any potential holes in what we're doing. We'll have to see what the school is like once we have a home in CA. Something I've been working on is a book list. Will post later if/when I have time.
                          Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

Yes, Dez. It's a scouting program for boys and girls, an interfaith sort of thing. Here's a linky: http://www.spiralscouts.org/

Comment

Pre-school fire safety@ firefighterdan.com--there are a few video animations and a ton of downloadable PDF worksheets with safety tips for parents

(message to parents)

For Earth Day...consider The Lorax (not sure if the new movie is still out, but if so, its the perfect time to compare books and movies!)

First School's The Lorax lesson plans and activities (preschool):

Other Lorax stuff:
                              seussville's Lorax page @ http://www.seussville.com/loraxproject/ (they have some activities and games and stuff)
                              printables (from the movie) @ http://www.hp.com/hho/hp_create/them...s_drseuss.html
                              the CBS special from the 70's part 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5jnJ...feature=relmfu
                              part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzYRk...feature=relmfu
                              book reading: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNnXEDUb_zw
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X