Update on Self-Initiation/Dedication

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update on Self-Initiation/Dedication

In a previous post, I stated that I would be dedicating myself to the path on the night of the new moon (tonight). Well, it's now the night of the new moon, and I don't feel ready. I think I will do a little more planning and actually dedicate myself on the next full moon, which is August 13. I am going to dedicate myself to nature (of course) and the Celtic and Norse pantheons. I am also going to honor Odin in particular and appoint him as my patron god. I'm still looking for insight and/or suggestions. I want my dedication to be memorable and, if possible: Incredible. I'm going to do it outside, under the full moon.
    Also: Is there a specific way I should approach/honor Odin? How should I address both Celtic and Norse pantheons? I guess I'm afraid of doing something wrong and pissing off a deity or two; particularily Odin, as I both respect and fear him.

Re: Update on Self-Initiation/Dedication

The site has a number of Heathens floating around. Drop by the Heathen Traditions and you should he able to find answers regarding Odin. I'm pretty sure he likes alcohol if you have access to it (a lot of the Norse deitities do) but I'm not sure which type of liquor he appreciates most.
    life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

I don't have much to contribute regarding heathenry, but I just thought I'd chime in and say that it's good that you waited if you didn't feel the timing was right. When you're ready, you'll feel more confident about it

Comment

I did my little dedication on a sunset. Maybe not the best time, I had a little red candle a glass bowl, I wrote my dedication on the paper, then lit the paper on fire with the candle, and let it burn in the bowl. Its the best I could do, its not like I can drive into the woods, I live in the middle of a city, and there are no woods nearby. I think its intention that counts.

Comment

I think perhaps it would be best not to address the two pantheons together. I don't necessarily mean not in the same ritual, but seperate the two somehow. Perhaps something like Celtic pantheon first, then nature, then Norse pantheon, followed with the grand finale of Odin? I imagine that would be the least offensive path for all involved.
          We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
          It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
          Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
          -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Working...
          X