This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Was I brainwashed into a cult?

Well, I was out on the internet, trying do find the religion right for me, thats when i came accros "Kids and Teens for Satan" on google. It was part of a site called Joy Of Satan, apparently its a Nazi cult and i'm extremly confused and upset. I was told to hate jews and christians, and all other religions and that they are false evil crap. Is this true, or is that part of the brainwashing? However, I DO belive that Satan is the creator and I belive that the "Demons" are the gods, whats going on!?

PLEASE.. I'm only 13, you can imagine how hard it is to find out a group you belong in is a cult!!!!!!
    Last edited by small-fry666; 31 Jul 2011, 05:28.

Re: Was I brainwashed into a cult?

Calm down.

Mental indoctrination tricks do exist but they generally take a bit more effort than simply writing propaganda. JoS is unlikely to have subverted your mind on any extensive level with just one site. A single half baked hate site is not gonna magically alter your thought processes any more than a good book or decent speech. JoS is not that potent. They can use written words to make a case. They cannot compel you to believe that case without significantly more effort.

Now regarding the site ideology, I react badly to certain ideologies. Anti-Semitism is high on the list of things that irritate me. I have nothing good to say about an organization promoting it. I would hold "hate all Christian" messages in equal disdain except that right now it's easier to laugh my *** off over them. There are over 2 BILLION Christians on this planet. Barring major cataclysm, Christianity ain't going anywhere for quite some time. Taking the time and energy to nurture hatred for a little under a third of the planets population because of their religion is a sufficiently wasteful hobby that I'm willing to be entertained by it as long as it doesn't lead to violent action. If it does lead to violence, well I'll be entertained by what happens to the perpetrators. Hating Christianity just isn't a plan that gets you much except a lot of headaches.
    Last edited by MaskedOne; 31 Jul 2011, 06:40.
    life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

I've already done a dedication ritual that joS told me to do. Is this good or bad!?[COLOR="Silver"]

[S

Comment

Originally posted by small-fry666 View Post
        I've already done a dedication ritual that joS told me to do. Is this good or bad!?
        Do you do everything the Internet tells you to do? If so, please get all the cash you can scrounge up & deposit it in my PayPal account.
        The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Don't be a d!ck!!!! I'm serious. Don't make me break my foot off in your ped0f!le a$$!!!!

Mod note: #1 You've been here all of five posts, loose the attitude. #2 We don't allow personal attacks...consider this your first warning. #3 If you want to be taken seriously, maybe you should work on your delivery a bit...or maybe you should learn to take sarcasm a little better if you are going to post whatever random action you want advice on over the net.

Thanks,
          Thal

P.S.

If you can't say it without TXT TLK, maybe you shouldn't bother saying it at all.

Comment

Cease.

Perze's comment may have been less than tactful. Your's is a good way to bring in a mod or admin.

Post a link or copy of the dedication. As a rule of thumb, I don't tend to think it easy to screw oneself over on an eternal basis but it'd be good to see the thing.
            life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Comment

First off, I'd stay far away from any group that tells you to hate anyone else based on their religion. That's bad news. And I'd stay far away from anyone who claims or even appears to be Neo-Nazis. Speaking as someone who lives in the former home of the original Nazis (Germany), nothing good can come from Nazi-ism. So just walk away.

Second off, you're awfully young to be joining a group. You're still very impressionable and there are people out there who aren't so nice. I can understand the desire to find some companionship from like-minded people, but you have to be careful. Take your time, do some reading on Satanist beliefs and maybe even other beliefs and religions too. Do research and take your time. Then slowly branch out and meet people who share the beliefs you form yourself. Don't just latch onto a group because they claim to be Satanist and believe whatever they tell you. I have a feeling that you already know this, because you're asking and you seem wary of them. Trust your gut...it's trying to tell you something and you need to listen.

Comment

I was once involved with the Joy of Satan, at the age of 17. It does have cultish traits, I find. I took a lot of things I read on that site as "You should do/believe this!" and I did and it took it's toll on me mentally, which I had tried repairing and fixing after I got out of JOS 3 months later. I was rather young and foolish at the time.

Nothing bad has happened to me since I left JOS. Nothing incredible happened when I did the dedication ritual at the age of 17 and nothing happened when I revoked it. Nothing happened except for a lesson learned and I learned more about other forms of Satanism. If you are interested in Satanism, research other forms (if you're interested in theistic satanism I suggest Diane Vera's (theisticsatanism.com) and Venus Satanas' (spiritualsatanism.com) sites.). There's tons of forms of Satanism out there.

I'd also take DanieMarie's advice into consideration.
                Wild Witchy Dusk | TwitterMy Art Blog | My Deviantart

Comment

Something tells me you be a troll.
                  [4:82]

Comment

Just an aside: When I was that age, I read magazines like "American Girl" and "Seventeen" where I was told I "had" to bat my eyes and show interest in a boy's hobbies if I wanted to "catch" him. Things you read can be "cultish" on many levels, not just spiritual.
                    Read all you can, then use your own mind, and be who you truly are.

I'm hoping no one decides that being a troll is a viable choice for any length of time.
                    sigpic
                    Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Actually, I joined a youth group that exhibited cult-like behavior at 13. Heck, I'm turning 28 in a couple of weeks and I still seem to find such groups. So I'm going to pretend this isn't an attempt to troll to use this to share my experience with people who may discover this as well as the OP.

If it's just an internet group (I'm assuming the JOS is) you're actually at a better advantage. You can just leave. I recently left a group that exhibited cult-like behaviors and the worst that happens is I'm still considered a member. Real cults don't just run online. When I left the youth group I was hounded at school constantly for leaving. I suspect they were the ones who spread the rumor that I was not Christian anymore, which was far from the case at that time. Compound that with being the unpopular kid in school dating a "druid" (his research was mostly Monroe's books) and it just made my life worse.

As an aside it does seem odd that a group would take a 13-year-old without parental consent. While not every group that does this is bad, it's certainly a red flag given what I've heard about JOS.

ADD: And no, you haven't lost your soul. I'm a firm believer that no one can take your soul. I understand some faiths even believe you can sell other's souls, but that makes the concept of owning a soul a lot more nebulous and faulty.
                      Last edited by Caelia; 31 Jul 2011, 13:24.
                      my etsy store
                      My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
                      surrounded by plush, downy things,
                      ill prepared, but willing,
                      to descend."

Comment

Ah, JoS. I was wondering when we'd hear from one of their members. Some of their meditations are useful, but their attempt at pulling Neonazis into Satanism is laughable. They'll pull from the craziest conspiracy theories as though they were verified facts, so long as it validates their ideas on race and heirarchy. You'd be surprised how much they plagiarize Gerald Gardiner's fake history of Wicca.

But seriously, if you want to see Satan as a creator, liberator, or other things along those lines... so be it. I can't stop you. With you being a minor and getting in over your head so quickly, it would overstep your parents' rights and only harm you if I endorsed your newfound idea of Satanism. However, I do have some experience there.

The most Satanic thing you can do is use your head. Did you dedicate yourself to this organization, or to something higher? A dedication to an organization can be easily revoked with disbelief. This group exists entirely online, so you never have to deal with them again. They only keep your soul if you keep giving it to them.

If you dedicated yourself to something higher/lower and you actually believe in it, what makes you think that JoS has everything right about this? You're free to decide otherwise. JoS is just one of literally THOUSANDS of online groups on Satanism, and no two groups seem to agree. LuciaStar's suggestions seem helpful - they'll give you some things you're used to, but hopefully without as much hogwash. Most healthy Spiritual/Theistic Satanists that I've met view Satan or Lucifer as a Liberator, more than anything else. Why would something that wants to free you want to trap your soul?

If find that you must, undedicate yourself - Christians turned atheists had unbaptisms with hairdryers. You're free to do something similar. And to help you with that, we'd need to see the original dedication.
                        Last edited by AzazelEblis; 31 Jul 2011, 14:02.
                        "A true initiation never ends"-Robert Anton Wilson
                        http://www.hermetic.com/crowley
                        "Reality has become a commodity"-Stephen Colbert 1/29/07
                        http://www.chaosmatrix.org/
                        "Sometimes, when you can't breathe, there are people there to breathe for you" - Aesop Rock
                        http://upholdingmaat.wordpress.com

Comment

Not sure if this was the actual rite used but revoking the rite that JoS posts here doesn't seem particularly problematic. It's little more than a loyalty pledge.

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
                            Not sure if this was the actual rite used but revoking the rite that JoS posts here doesn't seem particularly problematic. It's little more than a loyalty pledge.
                            To the organization? Well shoot, just leave!
                            my etsy store
                            My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
                            surrounded by plush, downy things,
                            ill prepared, but willing,
                            to descend."

Comment

Nope, to their variant of Satan. One could actually keep the pledge and invite JoS to perform acts not meant to be seen with a large blunt object and/or local farm animals.

Comment

Working...
                              X