Jun 2005
    Pronouns
    female
    Religion
    Kemetic
    Phrase
    Ferocious as a furby

Re: Was I brainwashed into a cult?

Actually, I joined a youth group that exhibited cult-like behavior at 13. Heck, I'm turning 28 in a couple of weeks and I still seem to find such groups. So I'm going to pretend this isn't an attempt to troll to use this to share my experience with people who may discover this as well as the OP.

If it's just an internet group (I'm assuming the JOS is) you're actually at a better advantage. You can just leave. I recently left a group that exhibited cult-like behaviors and the worst that happens is I'm still considered a member. Real cults don't just run online. When I left the youth group I was hounded at school constantly for leaving. I suspect they were the ones who spread the rumor that I was not Christian anymore, which was far from the case at that time. Compound that with being the unpopular kid in school dating a "druid" (his research was mostly Monroe's books) and it just made my life worse.

As an aside it does seem odd that a group would take a 13-year-old without parental consent. While not every group that does this is bad, it's certainly a red flag given what I've heard about JOS.

ADD: And no, you haven't lost your soul. I'm a firm believer that no one can take your soul. I understand some faiths even believe you can sell other's souls, but that makes the concept of owning a soul a lot more nebulous and faulty.
    Last edited by Caelia; 31 Jul 2011 at 13:24.
    my etsy store
    My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
    surrounded by plush, downy things,
    ill prepared, but willing,
    to descend."

Dec 2005
    Pronouns
    male
    Religion
    Chaote: It varies.

Ah, JoS. I was wondering when we'd hear from one of their members. Some of their meditations are useful, but their attempt at pulling Neonazis into Satanism is laughable. They'll pull from the craziest conspiracy theories as though they were verified facts, so long as it validates their ideas on race and heirarchy. You'd be surprised how much they plagiarize Gerald Gardiner's fake history of Wicca.

But seriously, if you want to see Satan as a creator, liberator, or other things along those lines... so be it. I can't stop you. With you being a minor and getting in over your head so quickly, it would overstep your parents' rights and only harm you if I endorsed your newfound idea of Satanism. However, I do have some experience there.

The most Satanic thing you can do is use your head. Did you dedicate yourself to this organization, or to something higher? A dedication to an organization can be easily revoked with disbelief. This group exists entirely online, so you never have to deal with them again. They only keep your soul if you keep giving it to them.

If you dedicated yourself to something higher/lower and you actually believe in it, what makes you think that JoS has everything right about this? You're free to decide otherwise. JoS is just one of literally THOUSANDS of online groups on Satanism, and no two groups seem to agree. LuciaStar's suggestions seem helpful - they'll give you some things you're used to, but hopefully without as much hogwash. Most healthy Spiritual/Theistic Satanists that I've met view Satan or Lucifer as a Liberator, more than anything else. Why would something that wants to free you want to trap your soul?

If find that you must, undedicate yourself - Christians turned atheists had unbaptisms with hairdryers. You're free to do something similar. And to help you with that, we'd need to see the original dedication.
    Last edited by AzazelEblis; 31 Jul 2011 at 14:02.
    "A true initiation never ends"-Robert Anton Wilson
    http://www.hermetic.com/crowley
    "Reality has become a commodity"-Stephen Colbert 1/29/07
    http://www.chaosmatrix.org/
    "Sometimes, when you can't breathe, there are people there to breathe for you" - Aesop Rock
    http://upholdingmaat.wordpress.com

Mar 2009
    Religion
    Jedi
    Phrase
    The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant compared to the power of the Force.

Not sure if this was the actual rite used but revoking the rite that JoS posts here doesn't seem particularly problematic. It's little more than a loyalty pledge.
    "It is not simply enough to know the light…a Jedi must feel the tension between the two sides of the Force…in himself and in the universe."
    ―Thon

"When to the Force you truly give yourself, all you do expresses the truth of who you are,"

Yoda

Yoda told stories, and ate, and cried, and laughed: and the Padawans saw that life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Jun 2005
    Pronouns
    female
    Religion
    Kemetic
    Phrase
    Ferocious as a furby

Quote Originally Posted by MaskedOne View Post
    Not sure if this was the actual rite used but revoking the rite that JoS posts here doesn't seem particularly problematic. It's little more than a loyalty pledge.
    To the organization? Well shoot, just leave!
    my etsy store
    My blog

to descend."

Mar 2009
    Religion
    Jedi
    Phrase
    The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant compared to the power of the Force.

Nope, to their variant of Satan. One could actually keep the pledge and invite JoS to perform acts not meant to be seen with a large blunt object and/or local farm animals.
    "It is not simply enough to know the light…a Jedi must feel the tension between the two sides of the Force…in himself and in the universe."
    ―Thon

"When to the Force you truly give yourself, all you do expresses the truth of who you are,"

Yoda

Yoda told stories, and ate, and cried, and laughed: and the Padawans saw that life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Jun 2005
    Pronouns
    female
    Religion
    Kemetic
    Phrase
    Ferocious as a furby

Well, if nothing else I found this on the aforementioned site:

Question:
    Can I reverse the ritual at a later date?
    Answer:
    Satanic rituals, unlike the rituals in other religions, are real and permanent. I received a very small number of letters from people who were confused and harassed by Christians. One person performed a reverse ritual and Satan left him. Totally. Satan does not push himself on anyone.
    Christians are deceived. They believe their "God" to be "loving" and "forgiving." In truth, this monster is a spiteful, hateful attacker of human beings. When one is with Satan, one is always under his protection. He looks out for us and we enter a new life where we no longer have the worries that others endure. Things are not perfect, but they are always much better. Satan does not punish people who reject him, he simply leaves and one is left all alone to endure the torments of the enemy.

These people wrote to me because after several months, they were begging for Satan to take them back. The enemy did absolutely nothing for them. All were extremely regretful they ever left and very desperate to come back.
    So my earlier statement of "shoot, just leave" stands.

BTW, if you try to read this stuff in a dark, ominous voice it's a lot more amusing.
    my etsy store
    My blog

to descend."

Mar 2009
    Religion
    Jedi
    Phrase

Hmm, wonder how it'd come out if I switched all Satan references with Hasbro and Yahweh/Christ/etc with other game companies.
    ―Thon

Yoda

Jun 2005
    Pronouns
    female
    Religion
    Kemetic
    Phrase
    Ferocious as a furby

MaskedOne, I think we found a new connection: Hasbro and the Joy of Satan.

But all rituals must be recited in a dark, ominous tone.
    my etsy store
    My blog

to descend."

Mar 2009
    Religion
    Jedi
    Phrase

Lol

Nah I'm not sure of a link. JoS seems a bit clumsy for Hasbro. I just think subverting the rite to Hasbro would be uttterly hilarious.
    ―Thon

Yoda

Oct 2010
    Pronouns
    Neither
    Religion
    Polytheistic Hedgewitch
    Phrase
    Call me Tay.

I love you guys, just saying~ <3