The beggining of the end of the world?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The beggining of the end of the world?

A few months ago, where i live an extremest Christian group claimed that the beggining of the end of the world.

Well, I'm not dead, your certainly not dead, the governments still stand (Most of them) and nothing really has changed lol.

HOWEVER... I am NOT saying that it is definantly not true.

have your say

Re: The beggining of the end of the world?

People have been banging on about the end of the world for centuries.... c. 1000 CE some people gave away all their possessions and sat around waiting for the Second COming. Same c. 1500 CE etc. I couldn't really tell you why they do it, but some people seem to like scaremongering while others just enjoy being scared.

Me? I just believe in getting on with life.
    www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
      People have been banging on about the end of the world for centuries.... c. 1000 CE some people gave away all their possessions and sat around waiting for the Second COming. Same c. 1500 CE etc. I couldn't really tell you why they do it, but some people seem to like scaremongering while others just enjoy being scared.

Me? I just believe in getting on with life.
      Pretty much this. Every religion has an "end of the world" scenario. However, there's no need to dwell on it like many have been. It's gonna happen, even if it's just our world ends because we died. But that's no reason to stop living your life, or worse, living in fear. I had an adolescence full of that, and quite frankly it didn't help my piece of mind. After a while I realized the world isn't going to end anytime soon and if it is not a thing I can do despite what those cartoons on TV tell me.

In fact, lots of groups (not just Christian ones) basically use those scenarios to scare people into following their way. Why play into that?
      my etsy store
      My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
      surrounded by plush, downy things,
      ill prepared, but willing,
      to descend."

Comment

Yeah, But these people are being crazy about it.

Comment

Originally posted by small-fry666 View Post
          A lot are. Trust me.
          my etsy store
          My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
          surrounded by plush, downy things,
          ill prepared, but willing,
          to descend."

Comment

So what? Doesn't mean I have to care about it.

Comment

At some point the world came into existence, and at some point it will cease. Circle of life.
              sigpic
              Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

The world will end....eventually. In a few billion years the sun will crap out, though it will probably grow in size and burn out the earth first. We might have an extinction event before that, but I doubt it will be anything we'll see coming because we've pretty much managed to evolve past everything we already have here that threatens us. Hell I even think we could plausibly survive an astroid hitting the earth.

We might see some massive change in our lifetimes (I think that's very likely), but I"m going to guess that the end of the world isn't coming anytime soon.

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
                  The world will end....eventually. In a few billion years the sun will crap out, though it will probably grow in size and burn out the earth first. We might have an extinction event before that, but I doubt it will be anything we'll see coming because we've pretty much managed to evolve past everything we already have here that threatens us. Hell I even think we could plausibly survive an astroid hitting the earth.

We might see some massive change in our lifetimes (I think that's very likely), but I"m going to guess that the end of the world isn't coming anytime soon.
                  When I was a little girl, I read that, about the sun eventually going Nova, etc., in a book and became terrified. I thought it would happen soon and I obsessed and was upset for a week or two before my parents finally got me to tell them what was wrong.
                  sigpic
                  Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkfeathers View Post
                    When I was a little girl, I read that, about the sun eventually going Nova, etc., in a book and became terrified. I thought it would happen soon and I obsessed and was upset for a week or two before my parents finally got me to tell them what was wrong.
                    Me too. But my granny had a great saying for that sort of situation. It was 'Bollocks, get on with your knitting.'

Comment

I'm starting to get tired of the world ending. Seems like it ends these days once every 3-6 months.

Not like when I was a kid. Back in those days you really got some good, solid, wrong predictions of cosmic cataclysms and man made foolishness. Massive solar flairs and nuclear holocausts at least have some panache to them, even when they don't actually occur.

Now it's all just Jehovah, getting all uppity again. What happened to imagiantion? I have gotten to where I much prefer Lovecraft to Revelations.

Honestly, some of these people really ought to figure out how to keep their gods in line, and teach them to quit being an embarrassment.
                      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Every time someone dies the world ends...for them.
                        Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkfeathers View Post
                          LOL that's kind of cute :P

I read it in a book too when I was a kid, but it said billions of years and I couldn't even fathom 100 years at that point so I figured I was ok. It was about the age where I thought 16 was really old though haha.

============================

I have trouble even believing in my own mortality at this point in my life. 27 is a weird time to start to feel immortal, and it's not like I'm less careful (I'm definitely more careful than when I was younger), but I've seriously almost died so many times that though I'm pretty terrified of death still, I just don't think it's happening for quite a while yet. So in line with that the end of the world seems like a totally alien concept to me.
                          Last edited by DanieMarie; 01 Aug 2011, 12:33.

Comment

There is many different thoughts on how and when the world will end. You might think "Not my problem, i'll be dead". What about the next lives? (If you belive in reincarnation)

Comment

You might think "Not my problem, i'll be dead". What about the next lives? (If you belive in reincarnation)
                              What ultimately happens after death is ultimately unknowable...reincarnation, an afterlife, nothing, etc. IF there *is* reincarnation, it still doesn't make some future self *me* to even be worried about.
                              Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X