A cat has found me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A cat has found me

Oh boy. A sweet, affectionate, beautiful cat has wandered into my yard and doesn't want to leave. I have a parrot and so cannot/will not allow the cat into the house. Dopey me fed the damn thing so I know she won't ever leave. She doesn't bother the birds at the feeder, but the squirrels aren't coming around (which is good). I wouldn't mind keeping her as an outdoor cat, but what happens in the winter or when I go away? She doesn't seem very outdoorsy. No one's reported a lost one fitting her description. Many years ago, before the parrot, I had an indoor cat, but I really don't know what do do with an outdoor one. I'm gonna try & find her a home but that's not easy around here.
    I can't help but wonder why she was sent to me. She seemed to bond to me immediately (before I fed her!)
    sigpic
    Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Re: A cat has found me

I think some cats do oddly bond to some people. My cat did when I moved into the flat that housed him (he used to belong to my roommate). He even liked me when I went to look at the place.
    If you can't find a home for her is there any possibility you could keep her?

Comment

Only if she can live outside. *sigh* I really do like her but this is the last thing I need......my neighbor across the street has 2 cats, I'm gonna try to sneak this one in! What's one more, anyway, right? LOL
      It's kind of freaking me out that she obviously wants to be with me. Why can't some tall, dark, rich, handsome MAN feel that way???
      sigpic

Comment

Hey, the cat my mom adopted ended up adopting me from day one. Even when I left and came back often she was there to drop everything and cuddle with me. Cats, like humans, have "their" person.

I've had an outdoor cat too. In the winter we just winterized her "bed" (a styrofoam box she claimed when we had some meat delivered) with blankets. My dad even set up teh electric blanket for her as she got older. As for traveling, it depends. I don't think we ever traveled during those years so I'm not sure what's best for an outdoor cat. If there's a vet or some sort of kitty kennel that is one option. Our vet had a kennel when I was little so we had someone to care for our dog when we vacationed, and sometimes we used that for our cat too.

But this is contingent on whether or not you keep the cat
        my etsy store
        My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
        surrounded by plush, downy things,
        ill prepared, but willing,
        to descend."

Comment

I don't even have a covered area outside - right now she can stay somewhat dry in the rain, under the table on the deck - but that furniture goes in the shed for the winter. Will a cat live in a doghouse type of thing?
          I know I'm in trouble, I'm talking about "what will happen to her in the winter?" LMAO If my neighbor will take her and I could still visit her, would be ideal.
          sigpic

Comment

Actually, yes. If you get the cat early on sometimes they adjust like that. It also depends on the cat. My cat with AzazelEblis, named Speedy, is very good at adjusting to things but that's because she didn't have a stable life to begin with :\

Do you have a garage? That's where our cat stayed in the winter.
            my etsy store
            My blog

to descend."

Comment

My garage is attached & I don't want to leave the door open. The last thing I need/want is a litter box.....I am simply going to have to find a nice home for Snooki before cold weather sets in.
              Yes, I named her. I know. I'm an idiot.
              sigpic

Comment

(most) cats (particularly outdoor cats) are pretty good about regulating their food intake...so you can always use those food/water dispensers if you are traveling... if you have a garage or shed or something, you could always put a cat door in somewhere for her, if you are worried about weather.
                Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                sigpic

Comment

Our garage is attached too. We had a litterbox for her too (and cats are crazy easy to litterbox train). We even had food and water for her.

If you need more ideas for your new pet let me know
                  my etsy store
                  My blog

to descend."

Comment

I grew up with all my cats being outdoor cats. I only got indoor ones after I moved out of my parent's house. We didn't need to do anything special for winter, but we also live in a place where you can wear shorts in December. However, even when it did get cold the cats always seemed to find a way to get warm. Or you can put out a cat bed that is heated if you want along with a box. And when dealing with traveling we just always left them at the house and had a neighbor feed them while we were gone. They always did fine and where still there when we got back. They never ran off unless they weren't fixed.

Right now I've adopted a local stray. She is way too unclean to let inside. She seems to have been a stray her whole life. She has been taken in to be fixed by a local person or group as her left ear has been clipped and where I live that means she is a feral cat that has had shots and is fixed. I just feed and water her. She comes and goes as she pleases, but she has really taken a liking to me. I'm the only one I know of that she lets pet her. Cats are funny that way.

Comment

A good friend has agreed to take her!!! They have dogs, cats, horses, etc., and I think once she adjusts, she'll be fine.
                      I'll probably bring her over there later in the week. She is a sweetie and I'm glad I'll be able to visit her.
                      sigpic

Comment

Brought her over to her new home today. She took off exploring with one of their cats. (After the initial hissing intro was over.) I hope she'll be OK....
                        sigpic

Comment

The birds have returned to my bird feeder, now that she's gone. And tonight, a fledgeling Cardinal flew into my door and died on the deck. This would not have happened if Snooki had been here. I feel awful.
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X