Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Prayers for my cat

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
    Yeah he is definitely still in a bit of a funk, but he's more chipper than before. My mom says though that his mood changes when I come home...when I'm gone he's apparently just miserable. The vet also said he could have some stress and separation anxiety so maybe that's coming out, especially with him having an infection. I'm trying to figure out ways to make him happy while I'm gone. So far I've read birds on tv, getting a fish bowl (that he can't get into), leaving a CD of harp music on (apparently it's calming for all animals).
    Get a cheap (but comfy) tee shirt and wear it to bed 2 nights in a row, then line the area he likes to lay in with it. Your scent on the shirt will calm him more than tricks and gadgets.

Comment

Originally posted by LadyGarnetRose View Post
      Get a cheap (but comfy) tee shirt and wear it to bed 2 nights in a row, then line the area he likes to lay in with it. Your scent on the shirt will calm him more than tricks and gadgets.
      good tip..thanks

Comment

My cat was 21 when she died, She had a kidney infection and started to smell funny, but she was still happy until the end, sending prayers to your kitty ^^
        "Otwarty świat; rany zamknięte."
        - Open world; Wounds closed.

Comment

Originally posted by LadyGarnetRose View Post
          This is what I do for my kitty. She is such an attached to mommy kitty that she can get kinda destructive if I'm gone too much after work. She's used to me being at work but if I'm gone too much right after work she gets highly pissed off!

Comment

He was doing so well....I bought him a bigger litter box because he's a big cat and he used to move around to fit himself in his litter box but he just wasn't doing it anymore (even when I uncovered it) so I got him a big one that he could fit in with no effort, and he was using it ever since, but today he had an accident on the sofa while I was at home. I was getting prepped to give him his medicine and he just started peeing. I think it was definitely a stress thing. Maybe I should change his pill routine around so that he's not expecting it and getting worked up beforehand.
            He was really good before that though. He sat in the living room (since I kept him in the bathroom he's sort of stayed there), and he even cuddled with me and my dad for a bit. He ate loads today too.

Comment

He started to get better but then he started scratching at his neck and upper body, taking off hair with it. It looks really painful and horrible and I took him to the vet and she thinks his medication is making him itch and want to scratch. He has to go off it now and we have to try something else. She recommended a homeopathic remedy but I don't really believe in homeopathy (one of the natural medicines I feel is more 'quack' than useful), but at this point I'm willing to try anything because I'm desperate. He looks so awful and I cried all evening because I just don't know if he'll live really. I guess I have to see but I'm afraid that I might have some tough choices ahead of me.

I did a healing ritual with him, because I'm getting past my mundane point, and he's a patient enough cat that, even though I had to make it short, he sat through it.

I am going to the vet on Wednesday after work to talk about our options for helping his thyroid without the scratching. I hope something works.

EDIT: I ordered some softpaws online....you can't get them easily in shops in Germany but lots of internet shops sell them. I hope they at least help him from hurting himself as the itch wears off.
              Last edited by DanieMarie; 22 Aug 2011, 12:09.

Comment

Shall keep you both in my thoughts and send a blessing this evening.
                www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Thank you

Comment

Any word yet on the vet trip?
                    my etsy store
                    My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
                    surrounded by plush, downy things,
                    ill prepared, but willing,
                    to descend."

Comment

Yeah she thinks it was a reaction to his meds, but he's been off it for nearly a week and he's still scratching. He's also been on hypoallergetic food so it's not that either. I'm just glad my SoftClaws arrive today...wont stop him from scratching but at least he wont hurt himself! Good timing too because he's learned how to take the cone off his head.

Comment

Oh my! He took off the cone of shame. I hope the soft claws keep him from hurting himself too. One of my friends uses it for her cats all the time.
                        my etsy store
                        My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
                        surrounded by plush, downy things,
                        ill prepared, but willing,
                        to descend."

Comment

Thanks...they're a bit awkward on his hind paws and he walks funny at the moment, but he seems to be getting used to them and I haven't seen as much fur scratched off!

Comment

Danie, what meds was he on for his thyroid? Is he hypo or hyperthyroid? Are you sure its the medication *causing* is and not because the medication isn't working properly? I mean...thyroid meds, if they are for replacement, aren't just something you can go off of...and hair loss (and dry skin which would be itchy, mood swings, etc over a period of time) for me (though I am not a cat, the thyroid does have the same function) are signs that my meds probably need adjusted, which means blood test to see if my thyroid levels are at the right dosage.
                            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                              Danie, what meds was he on for his thyroid? Is he hypo or hyperthyroid? Are you sure its the medication *causing* is and not because the medication isn't working properly? I mean...thyroid meds, if they are for replacement, aren't just something you can go off of...and hair loss (and dry skin which would be itchy, mood swings, etc over a period of time) for me (though I am not a cat, the thyroid does have the same function) are signs that my meds probably need adjusted, which means blood test to see if my thyroid levels are at the right dosage.
                              It was hyper, and the vet was the one who told me the medication was causing it. Apparently it's a side effect that happens rarely (about 4% of cats) but does happen. She already took a blood test from him (the third and most recent) and the medication is working great and all his vitals including thyroid are in great shape, but this side effect is happening for some reason. Since it so badly affected his mood and was causing him to stop eating and therefore his health to rapidly decline (as well as the fact that he scratched off chunks of fur off his ears, face and neck) she thought it was best he gets off the medication and try an alternative.
                              I wouldn't take him off them either and we're trying a replacement homeopathic treatment. Unfortunately, there just aren't as many options for medications for cats as there are for people.
                              Anyway there's more info about it here (these were the meds he was on):

I'm just hoping the new treatment works

Comment

Update: VAST improvement since going off his meds. He even uses his litter box again (and will walk through the house to get there and not just go where he is). He's eating again, his wounds are healing...my only worry is that this new medication wont be as effective with the thyroid, though the vet did say that even if it's not, the thyroid condition is preferable to the side effects the medication was causing.

The best part is, he has his personality back! He's not just lying there all lethargic and seeming depressed...he's walking around, 'talking', purring, cuddling....

Comment

Working...
                                X