Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

London's Burning (Riots in London over police shooting)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

London's Burning (Riots in London over police shooting)

Sky News delivers breaking news, headlines and top stories from business, politics, entertainment and more in the UK and worldwide.

Mark Dougan was killed by the police on Thursday, in questionable circumstances. And now London is seeing riots like it hasn't seen in 50 years! It hasn't seen this much fire since the Blitz!

And now rioting is starting in other cities. People are angry and unhappy because no one can or will give any decent answers! Who is going to calm the people down? The crooked ex-commissioner of police who is being done for bribery and corruption? I don't think so.

The violence is not a good thing, but the fact that the people are finally reacting to a country that no longer wants the best of even cares for the people IS a good thing. I wish it had never come to this but as many people here are saying it is about bloody time. Our government is shot and the people in power are just corrupt and twisted.

I can't wait to see how the government is going to stop this. I can't even tell who is in charge, but lets be honest who really wants to take responsibility for this mess?

*sigh*
    "You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me"- CS Lewis

https://www.facebook.com/KimberlyHagenART

Re: London's Burning (Riots in London over police shooting)

I just saw some lady stealing groceries out of a convenient store. Not exactly what I think of as having enough of their govt. I say this because we did the same thing in LA here. People just acted like complete and utter morons because they could get away with it.
    Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

I agree. There is a lot of people just rioting for the sake of rioting, and looting and grabbing because they can.

Its scary stuff. X
      "You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me"- CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by FantasyWitch View Post
        I agree. There is a lot of people just rioting for the sake of rioting, and looting and grabbing because they can.

Its scary stuff. X
        When it happened in LA we had curfews etc. How's it going there?
        Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

At the moment?

More riots in Enfield (about 20 miles, I think, from where the original shooting took place) and there has been deaths. Its getting worse with no sign yet of anything cooling down. I seriously blame a lack of leadership in the government and police force. No one is going to listen to a Mayor who wouldn't even come back from his holiday early until last night when someone was killed.

Comment

I'm still pretty shocked about this. I didn't know it was happening until I checked Twitter last night and saw what Jamie Oliver was saying about the windows being smashed out in his Birmingham restaurant.
            Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

Its spread. Now in Liverpool, Birmingham and Bristol.

Over 16,000 police are to be deployed in London to stop tonight being a repeat. Doubt it...
              That isn't a police force, its an army! x

Comment

And here I hide in my little corner of the world. Sheltered in a cave, windows and doors not letting in any light. Not ready to face anyone, for any reason.

You could almost imagine that I'm in the middle of that unbelievable mess. People getting hurt, everywhere you turn, and not a damn thing you can do about it. Very, very sad. I pull my blanket up, just a little tighter. And it's not riots, going on here, that give me the same reaction.

I can only hope peace returns, soon. And that people come to their senses. My heart is in a shambles.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

One summer, when I was a kid, there were race riots in the neighborhood. I remember my mother showing me a place to hide in the basement "in case anyone came in", and telling me how I was to stay motionless and not come out no matter what I heard. No one came in. They stayed out in the street breaking bottles and fighting, but it all stuck with me for life.
                  sigpic
                  Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

It's a pointless waste of time, the rioters are fighting for justice against the police, who are obligated to arrest them because they're being violent, then the rioters are like 'this isn't fair, more rioting' which then leads to more arrests and so on... They'd have so much more effect by bombarding parliament with paperwork, because lets face it, no-one is going to want to do that. Not saying that they particularly want to deal with angry rioters, but it's harmless.
                    "Otwarty świat; rany zamknięte."
                    - Open world; Wounds closed.

Comment

Riots in the UK

I'm really interested especially in how our posters in the UK feel about this....

It just seems totally crazy. I have quite a few friends in London....one even lived in Peckham for quite a while (and I was staying there the times I was there so I've spent quite a bit of time there) but she moved to a new place a while back. I feel, and so do a lot of my friends from the UK, that it's pretty crazy, and that while it was probably started by frustrations about poverty, a lot of it is also wankers who just want to start crap. I especially feel that way because some of the looted shops are also run by poor immigrants. I feel for them too....one guy was interviewed on BBC and he was saying 'I'm here 14 hours a day, 7 days a week...it's my entire live' and his whole shop had been emptied and smashed.
                      I think Londoners have done really well to pull together to clean up though. Apparently they had so many volunteers that they didn't have enough work for everyone.
                      There's an effort similar to the one in Vancouver to identify rioters by posting photos for the police, so if anyone knows anyone in London who took any, let them know!

I feel sad though...London has become somewhat a second home to me. I've messaged all my friends there to ask how they are but I haven't heard back from anyone yet. I guess it's a bit too chaotic at the moment.

Comment

Re: Riots in the UK

Danie there is already a thread for this. I'll join them up x

Done x
                        Last edited by FantasyWitch; 10 Aug 2011, 02:10.

Comment

Haha thanks...sorry about that! I just was looking at the News section and thought 'weird, nothing there!'

---------- Post added at 12:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:15 PM ----------

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
                          I just saw some lady stealing groceries out of a convenient store. Not exactly what I think of as having enough of their govt. I say this because we did the same thing in LA here. People just acted like complete and utter morons because they could get away with it.
                          Hopefully they wont though. They caught a LOT of people in the Vancouver riots a while back because there was a big effort to identify rioters. Thanks to phone cameras and such, it's a lot harder to stay anonymous and since everyone else hates the rioters they're happy to turn you in. London is having a similar effort at the moment!

Comment

So far Wales is managing to stay clear of this. I hope it continues although we have had some violent riots in the past. But to be honest, the only thing that surprises me about the present situation is that it took so long to happen. And the most worrying thing is that once people realise their strength en masse.... well, what will they try next?
                            www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

It hasn't touched Scotland yet either. This just makes me feel so happy that Scotland will be independent from Britain in the next 3-5 years. Thank fucking god.

Comment

Working...
                              X