Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: London's Burning (Riots in London over police shooting)

May 2006
    Religion
    Atheist

London's Burning (Riots in London over police shooting)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14449675
    http://news.sky.com/home/

Mark Dougan was killed by the police on Thursday, in questionable circumstances. And now London is seeing riots like it hasn't seen in 50 years! It hasn't seen this much fire since the Blitz!

And now rioting is starting in other cities. People are angry and unhappy because no one can or will give any decent answers! Who is going to calm the people down? The crooked ex-commissioner of police who is being done for bribery and corruption? I don't think so.

The violence is not a good thing, but the fact that the people are finally reacting to a country that no longer wants the best of even cares for the people IS a good thing. I wish it had never come to this but as many people here are saying it is about bloody time. Our government is shot and the people in power are just corrupt and twisted.

I can't wait to see how the government is going to stop this. I can't even tell who is in charge, but lets be honest who really wants to take responsibility for this mess?

*sigh*
    "You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me"- CS Lewis

https://www.facebook.com/KimberlyHagenART

May 2005
    Religion
    LaVeyan Satanist
    Phrase
    A Clockwork orange

Re: London's Burning (Riots in London over police shooting)

I just saw some lady stealing groceries out of a convenient store. Not exactly what I think of as having enough of their govt. I say this because we did the same thing in LA here. People just acted like complete and utter morons because they could get away with it.
    Satan is my spirit animal

May 2006
    Religion
    Atheist

I agree. There is a lot of people just rioting for the sake of rioting, and looting and grabbing because they can.

Its scary stuff. X
    "You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me"- CS Lewis

May 2005
    Religion
    LaVeyan Satanist
    Phrase
    A Clockwork orange

Quote Originally Posted by FantasyWitch View Post
    I agree. There is a lot of people just rioting for the sake of rioting, and looting and grabbing because they can.

Its scary stuff. X
    When it happened in LA we had curfews etc. How's it going there?
    Satan is my spirit animal

May 2006
    Religion
    Atheist

At the moment?

More riots in Enfield (about 20 miles, I think, from where the original shooting took place) and there has been deaths. Its getting worse with no sign yet of anything cooling down. I seriously blame a lack of leadership in the government and police force. No one is going to listen to a Mayor who wouldn't even come back from his holiday early until last night when someone was killed.

Jun 2007
    Religion
    Norse Something-or-Other
    Phrase
    Nice is not the same as good.

I'm still pretty shocked about this. I didn't know it was happening until I checked Twitter last night and saw what Jamie Oliver was saying about the windows being smashed out in his Birmingham restaurant.

May 2006
    Religion
    Atheist

Its spread. Now in Liverpool, Birmingham and Bristol.

Over 16,000 police are to be deployed in London to stop tonight being a repeat. Doubt it...
    That isn't a police force, its an army! x

One with the Force ChainLightning's Avatar
    Nov 2005
    Religion
    Polytheist with Pan-/Panen- tendencies.
    Phrase
    In the darkest recesses of your twisted mind, a G-rated version of me resides.

And here I hide in my little corner of the world. Sheltered in a cave, windows and doors not letting in any light. Not ready to face anyone, for any reason.

You could almost imagine that I'm in the middle of that unbelievable mess. People getting hurt, everywhere you turn, and not a damn thing you can do about it. Very, very sad. I pull my blanket up, just a little tighter. And it's not riots, going on here, that give me the same reaction.

I can only hope peace returns, soon. And that people come to their senses. My heart is in a shambles.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Dec 2010
    Religion
    Eclectic Pagan/Stregheria

One summer, when I was a kid, there were race riots in the neighborhood. I remember my mother showing me a place to hide in the basement "in case anyone came in", and telling me how I was to stay motionless and not come out no matter what I heard. No one came in. They stayed out in the street breaking bottles and fighting, but it all stuck with me for life.

Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Celtic Pagan
    Phrase
    That was fun. Lets never do that again.

It's a pointless waste of time, the rioters are fighting for justice against the police, who are obligated to arrest them because they're being violent, then the rioters are like 'this isn't fair, more rioting' which then leads to more arrests and so on... They'd have so much more effect by bombarding parliament with paperwork, because lets face it, no-one is going to want to do that. Not saying that they particularly want to deal with angry rioters, but it's harmless.
    "Otwarty świat; rany zamknięte."
    - Open world; Wounds closed.