How America Turned Poverty Into a Crime

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How America Turned Poverty Into a Crime

From Salon, full article here: http://www.salon.com/news/politics/w...rty/index.html

At the time I wrote "Nickel and Dimed," I wasn't sure how many people it directly applied to -- only that the official definition of poverty was way off the mark, since it defined an individual earning $7 an hour, as I did on average, as well out of poverty. But three months after the book was published, the Economic Policy Institute in Washington, D.C., issued a report entitled "Hardships in America: The Real Story of Working Families," which found an astounding 29 percent of American families living in what could be more reasonably defined as poverty, meaning that they earned less than a barebones budget covering housing, child care, health care, food, transportation, and taxes -- though not, it should be noted, any entertainment, meals out, cable TV, Internet service, vacations, or holiday gifts. 29 percent is a minority, but not a reassuringly small one, and other studies in the early 2000s came up with similar figures.

The big question, 10 years later, is whether things have improved or worsened for those in the bottom third of the income distribution, the people who clean hotel rooms, work in warehouses, wash dishes in restaurants, care for the very young and very old, and keep the shelves stocked in our stores. The short answer is that things have gotten much worse, especially since the economic downturn that began in 2008.
    Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Re: How America Turned Poverty Into a Crime

Interesting article!
    I agree too...$7 an hour doesn't feel well out of poverty at all. Even when I was making $9 an hour in Victoria (which, granted, is expensive) and a small commission, I felt really broke. Like really, really broke.

Comment

I can't read this anymore. I stopped at "the war on illicit generosity continues."
      "A true initiation never ends"-Robert Anton Wilson
      http://www.hermetic.com/crowley
      "Reality has become a commodity"-Stephen Colbert 1/29/07
      http://www.chaosmatrix.org/
      "Sometimes, when you can't breathe, there are people there to breathe for you" - Aesop Rock
      http://upholdingmaat.wordpress.com

Comment

It's not really about the wages, it's about what things cost in proportion to them.
        sigpic
        Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Originally posted by AzazelEblis View Post
          I can't read this anymore. I stopped at "the war on illicit generosity continues."
          Then you don't need to contribute, now, do you Azazel?

I was wanting to welcome you back to the forum, but as you seem determined to be rude about every statement I type or link today, I'm disinclined to do so.

Comment

Des, on a related, but slightly different not...here's something to think about in terms of why there are no solutions.
            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DeseretRose View Post
              Then you don't need to contribute, now, do you Azazel?

I was wanting to welcome you back to the forum, but as you seem determined to be rude about every statement I type or link today, I'm disinclined to do so.
              I agree with what this author presents. I've seen some of it pretty well, but the depth of the problem is almost literally nauseating; if I failed to convey that in my previous post ITT, I apologize. I can't help but agree with the author on her proposed solutions, and a dose of humanity towards the people who desperately need it most.

ASIDE:
              DR, As for the other thread - my bad. I didn't mean for that to be a slight to you, but certain things getting thrown out as blanked statements (you didn't) do get me a little heated. If that was too much, or misdirected I apologize.

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
              Des, on a related, but slightly different not...here's something to think about in terms of why there are no solutions.
              I whole-heartedly agree: in this world where money has been deemed free speech, there is no voice for the penniless. Didn't there used to be public avenues where people could get their ideas out, or is that just my wishful thinking? I guess calling in to NPR just doesn't mean as much as it used to, not that it was ever that much outside of certain circles, and still requires something to invest. Wasn't this what the internet was supposed to be about - if you can learn html/etc, you can get your ideas out?

Either way, income inequality is a growing problem in this nation. All that wealth that slips out of the hands of those sliding into poverty has to go somewhere, and not just China...

Well, all those programs to include others in the convo, or to spread the wealth around cost money. So here's a nice little chart displaying the US's income tax code, year by year, since it's inception. I particularly enjoy comparing 1958's taxes to those of today. 90% for those making $900k or more seems asburd, but it was done. Sadly, a second link must be included for capital gains taxation.

And here's the much-vaunted Warren Buffett, "Stop Coddling the Super-Rich" editorial in the NYT.
              We mega-rich should not continue to get extraordinary tax breaks while most Americans struggle to make ends meet.

I find it practically criminal that we have all this info that says these things; yet instead of connecting a human face to this problem, this feels to me somewhat swept under the rug by all but the most left-leaning sources.

And here's something to just rub it in worse: http://www.berkeleydailyplanet.com/i...acramento-Coup
              If you want your unemployment check in Sacrimento, you've lost the right to choose where you bank.

Western economies currently battling the effects of a long term recession and pressures from the International Financial industry might benefit from adopting a few of the measures that Argentina put in place in the aftermath of the 2001 crisis.

Here's a weird idea that worked in Argentina, and is sweeping the less solvent nations of Europe: End so-called free trade, and let people organize themselves into unions/community activist groups. These folks had to deal with the IMF demanding a misguided agenda in their policies, which invaded their national sovereignty. Could this work here?

Or how about a joke-turned-serious, the coffee party? http://www.coffeepartyusa.com/rx-brooks-corruption

There's also US Uncut, which goes after tax-dodging companies with sit-ins to shut down their stores. Right now, they're overly focused on Bank of America and Verizon, but the broader intent is there waiting to be tapped, and directed in a new direction. You can find the national, state, and some regional chapters all on facebook.
              Last edited by AzazelEblis; 17 Aug 2011, 21:50. Reason: (spelling, & additions bc I hate double posts)
              "Sometimes, when you can't breathe, there are people there to breathe for you" - Aesop Rock

Comment

What I find so horrifying in the UK - which is trying more and more to follow the US way - is the refusal to understand the human face behind all this. Everyone who suffers is someones child, partner, parent, brother, sister, friend. They all have a tale to tell. And yet the media are like a hunt in full cry (for those of you in the US, think of the toffs in their red jackets, hunting on horseback with foxhounds - no longer legal in the UK but still a potent image) after the weakest and most vulnerable.

And this worries me. Because when you create people with nothing to lose, you are in deep trouble. You can no longer control or threaten them because you have nothing to control or threaten them with.
                www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
                  What I find so horrifying in the UK - which is trying more and more to follow the US way - is the refusal to understand the human face behind all this. Everyone who suffers is someones child, partner, parent, brother, sister, friend. They all have a tale to tell. And yet the media are like a hunt in full cry (for those of you in the US, think of the toffs in their red jackets, hunting on horseback with foxhounds - no longer legal in the UK but still a potent image) after the weakest and most vulnerable.

And this worries me. Because when you create people with nothing to lose, you are in deep trouble. You can no longer control or threaten them because you have nothing to control or threaten them with.
                  Totally agree.
                  I was actually reading an interesting editorial about how the riots in London were most spurred by a loss of that sense of community. Whether actual desperation was behind them or a sense of idiocy caused by mass hysteria, those are not the kinds of actions committed by people with a solid sense of duty to their community, their neighbours and their families.

Comment

Azazel, sorry it took me a while to respond to this...thank you for clarifying. Your tone was coming across as rather prickly, and it seemed directed at me. That makes much more sense. Thanks.

Tylluan, I agree entirely. That's one of the things that makes me the most nervous about the Tea Party here in America right now. I have several extended family members who agree with the Tea Party, and they feel like they have nothing to loose. They honestly thing that the only way America can get back on track is if the citizens rise up and take the government back. By revolution, if it comes to that.

Comment

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
                      It's only a matter of time before people realize how little they have to lose already. As misdirected as the London riots were, (and knowing a mob mentality, its either hard or negates the premise of a riot to direct it "properly") the less-affluent young folks involved seemed like they were trying to lash out at those they decided were keeping them down.

I fear that with the way that Obama has been so successfully demonized that Malcolm's revolution by the ballot won't work here until we fix a few things about fairness and slander in media. The only other alternatives look less appealing by the day.
                      Azazel, sorry it took me a while to respond to this...thank you for clarifying. Your tone was coming across as rather prickly, and it seemed directed at me. That makes much more sense. Thanks.
                      Hey, no problem. After your post I re-read mine and realized just how vague it was. And with how heated I was elsewhere... well, your interpretation was quite understandable.

Tylluan, I agree entirely. That's one of the things that makes me the most nervous about the Tea Party here in America right now. I have several extended family members who agree with the Tea Party, and they feel like they have nothing to loose. They honestly thing that the only way America can get back on track is if the citizens rise up and take the government back. By revolution, if it comes to that.
                      What bothers me most is the Tea Party. I see them as a more-radical rebranding of the Republican party itself. Remember when the Tea Party of Texas released their platform for the 2008 election? Going in, there was all this speculation that, as a 3rd party, they could shake things up. Then, the platform released was word-for-word the same as established Republican yearly-platforms in Texas.

Then I dug around about Freedomworks, the organization credited with starting the Tea Party as we know it today. Here's their entry on Sourcewatch: http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php...d_of_Directors
                      From the beginning, Republican strategists were in on that game. Oil companies, petrochemical companies, obscure wall street firms that Wall Street goes to in order to hedge their bets, temp agencies... they've all got someone on the board there at freedomworks. Freedomworks has its own roots elsewhere in Americans for Prosperity, a climate-change-denial group set up by Koch Industries. Both Kochs have served on the board at Freedomworks. Last I checked, Sourcewatch was still current with Freedomworks.org's list of the board of directors. This fabrication of grassroots movements is increasingly being called "Astroturfing".

Fun Fact: The Koch brothers' father tried to pull the same "Birther" nonsense on President Kennedy! Lacking a place in established media, it didn't take hold.

So, there's a reason why the Tea Party "Solutions" look just like the policies that got us into this mess... at best, they're written by the same people, holding on to the same ideas that don't work, but certainly benefit themselves.

It's gonna be ugly when people finally vote that filth in, and come to realize that it wasn't about helping us.

Comment

... They honestly thing that the only way America can get back on track is if the citizens rise up and take the government back. By revolution, if it comes to that.
                        Here's what bothers me about this kind of thinking -

If a person can not get what he/she wants through fair and open elections, it must mean that it is a minority view.

If that is the case, then a "revolution" to "take back the country" should be understood to literally mean: A small group forcing it's views on the majority through force of arms.

What does it mean to "take the country back"? Take it back from whom? All those nasty immegrants? - as soon as these people get their citizenship, they are avery bit as American as I am.

Take it back from the minority groups who have value systems that differ from mine? They are Americans, just like me, and their vote counts just as much as mine does.

Take it back from people who's lifestyles differ from mine? Like maybe they have a yacht, or a condo somewhere - these people are also American...

As near as I can figure it, "taking back the country" means taking it away from most Americans so that it can be ruled by a few superAmericans. This is also what revolutionaries want - to be master of the many.

You can trust people who stay out of your private business to stay out of your business, but revolutionaries want to run your private business, or take it away from you. Don't bite. That's a rubber worm on the hook.
                        Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                          What does it mean to "take the country back"? Take it back from whom? All those nasty immegrants? - as soon as these people get their citizenship, they are avery bit as American as I am.
                          Besides, last I knew, the recession was driving a number the illegal residents back home, that could go there safely. Many of the rest would likely have a claim to political asylum if our nation granted such a thing.

Glad to hear that I'm not the only one who remembers or is learning certain things:

Meanwhile:

Some of the comments are just plain ignorant, but they epitomize the point of this thread.
                          Last edited by AzazelEblis; 22 Aug 2011, 11:18. Reason: BC I hate double posts.

Comment

Great video, Azazel.
                            Allow me to lend a machete to your intellectual thicket. ~ Captain Jack Sparrow

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                              Immigrants are fine, as long as they get here legally. It's the ones who break the laws of the land that I have an issue with.

Comment

Working...
                              X