This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I think Odin chose me before I was Pagan

I have always seen Odin standing in the trees looking at me- though i didnt always accecpt that it was him. his face hidden, for years it was "grow up, boy" that i heard. I tried to be valliant- portecting those that i felt needed it (even if it wasnt what they deserved) and i have the scars for that. I wanted to seek for esoteric knowledge, to walk with one foot in the spirit world- but for me to do that, i needed to sacrifice part of the mundane world.
    I have never refused aid to a stranger, because when i was about five, i read the story of how Odin masqueraded as an old feeble man leaning on a stick and was insulted by a yound warrior (if any of you more litterate heathens want ot point out that story's name or content, i'd appreciate it ) - it's actually one of that things that showed me that my new wife was perfect for me- she always gives money to vagrants for the same reason.
    Has it always been easy? nope. I can hear the Old Man laughing every time I commit to something ridiclous- cause HE knows, even if i don't what it is that he requires. and i think it is this:

Stand up . be honest. pay whatever consequence even your life, for what you belive, truly belive, to be important. and as you pay that price, revel in it. laugh. don't be the miser, complaining you sold your eye for Ominiscience, but laugh merilly at the bargin! be lusty. be honorable. Be the most complete, no regretful you you can be. oh- and hang some mead in a tree. He seems to like that.

(i would like to say, Astaru, that if my tone offends, I say all this with the utmost respect and reverence. Hail Odin.)

Comment

Taliesyn, I'm pretty sure you're thinking of Grimnismal, in the Poetic Edda. The All-Father and the Queen of the Aesir rescue and raise two sons of a king, returning them to society after a couple of years. When they grow up, Odin disguises himself and Grimnir, the wanderer, to prove that the eldest is hospitable. Frigg stacks the cards against him by sending a messenger to the court who says a black wizard is coming.

Instead of just turning him away, he's tortured and mocked, staked between two fires without food or water for days. The king's son disagrees with this, and brings him drink, disobeying his father's direct command. At that point, Odin removes his disguise, strikes down the king and the warriors who participate, and makes the son king in his place.

...sound about right?
      Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

not exactly as I remember it but I think so, Dez. It was in a childern's book about Norse legends- I think they had altered it. I wasn't five either- more like 3rd grade. so 8 years old or so. I guess I had it a bit mangled, but Thank you for pointing it out- I'll go and read the original, maybe if work is slow tonight.
        Last edited by Taliesyn; 28 Feb 2012, 09:25. Reason: corrections and ramblings

Comment

They really mess with some of the myths when they're "tweaked" for kids...I'm not surprised. I'm interested in if I remembered right, though...let me know!

Comment

well I read the Grimnsol on my break last night- and though it didnt read like hte story i remember, I am pretty sure that is where it came from. Thanks Dez.

Comment

Welcome

It's funny...my husband also remembered that one, but had it be very dissimilar...I wonder if you were both exposed to the same source!

Comment

who knows? the book had to be published before 1974, and had blue illustrations . I seem to remember a wolf on the cover.

Comment

Working...
                X