Little Brother Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Little Brother Problems

I think you probably need to talk to the other family--if they are seeing this as well, and not saying anything, they are enabling the behavior. As much as you probably need to have this talk with your mom, you probably need other people to have this talk with her as well or she will chalk it up to *just you*--it seems like she is so far in denial about this, its not even funny. Sort of like an intervention or something--she is ruining her child...and allowing him behavior that is not going to serve him well in the future. Heck, I'd figure out how to get someone to get it on film if I could, just to physically show her in a way where she can't brush it aside.
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

Re: Little Brother Problems

Originally posted by Clive View Post
      It's purely a knee-jerk reaction and definitely not the right thing to do, but if I were in your position I'd be beating the hell out of my mother.

In all seriousness, though, I agree with Deseret. The first thing to do is to talk to your mother calmly and rationally. Explain to her how much this kid hurts you, show her the marks he's left on you. Tell her how important it is for this boy to learn discipline while there's still time. If being calm doesn't work then get a little more assertive and tell her she's being a terrible mother by ruining her son's life and allowing him to negatively affect the lives of others (and that's putting it mildly).

If talking to Mom doesn't work then you should definitely go to your Child Protective Services or equivalent. Children are basically lumps of clay. They are shaped and molded by their environment, especially their parents. Shaping a child into an abusive jerk is no less than child abuse in my book, and by allowing Boo to act this way in front of his younger brother your mother is effectively passing this aggressiveness down to him. Violence and abuse are vicious cycles that do not stop until somebody intervenes and it's a hell of a lot easier to reform a younger child than to rehabilitate a teenager or adult.
      And if it *isn't* behavior being molded by your mother?

There are a number of psychological issues that really start to become visible when a child reaches adolescence. It's also entirely possible that there is some sort of major issue at play here, and your mother ignoring it isn't helping him if that's the case.
      Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

Working...
      X