Gay Man Severely Beaten in SLC *Graphic*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gay Man Severely Beaten in SLC *Graphic*

This just bothers me to no end. I just don't get it, no matter how I look at it I do not understand why they would want to do this. I can say I do not ever want to go to Utah. I hope that guy is going to be okay.
    Circe

Comment

I'm going to need to read up on that, Thjoth. It isn't something I've considered before.

Corvus, this sorts of acts don't just happen in backwater areas. Salt Lake is a very nice city, all said and done...it's one of the few places in Utah I really wouldn't mind living, even now. Sometimes, though, people stop seeing a particular type of person, and only see what they've been told that sort of person is like. It can happen even to good people.
      Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

What...the...hell. I'm not victim-blaming here, not one bit, but this is why I encourage everybody who patronizes gay bars and clubs, whether they're gay, straight, or otherwise, to carry pepper spray, if not a gun - because of sick bastards like these guys who apparently think they're on some kind of divine mission to eradicate homos. Self-defense, as opposed to an unprovoked revolution, is entirely justified.

And seriously, what is up with the lack of coverage? We hear so often about people who are mugged, beaten, or otherwise abused or harassed but are too embarrassed to come forward and report it to the police. Now here we have a brave man who almost died and evidently is more than willing to get the law involved and talk to reporters and the media is trying to hush it up? Seriously?

On a more positive note, I must say that even disfigured Mr. Hall is a very attractive individual.

And Corvus, I understand where you're coming from but things like this can happen anywhere. I know most people would probably assume that West Virginia is a very homophobic state but we're actually pretty progressive when it comes to gay rights. In spite of that, I'm aware of two incidents: One, a man pretended to be gay and initiated a "hook-up" with another man online and then stabbed him when they met in person; two, a girl was run over by a car in front of a (now closed) gay bar in the town I live in several years ago and the driver didn't bother to stop.

Use the buddy system, carry a (legal) weapon, and/or take a self-defense class. The Pink Pistols isn't a bad idea, either.
        Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
        -Erik Erikson

Comment

There's been a third attack. Don't read the comments unless you have a strong stomach. http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/52...-fork.html.csp

Comment

Lovely news to come back to. Sheesh, the world is definitely a scary place. From one citizen whose constabulary sucks to another, my thoughts go out to these people. As twisted as it sounds, I hope the perpetrators of all three crimes are the same people. If not, it leads to a more disturbing thought; that they may be part of some larger organisation.
            "The proper office of a friend is to side with you when you are in the wrong. Nearly anybody will side with you when you are in the right."--Mark Twain

"There are only two types of people in this world who walk around beardless; boys and women. I am neither one." --Ancient Greek saying

Comment

I'm with you, Crimson. It's disturbing enough without thinking there might be MORE of these violent morons.

In other news, not related, the local police (which, honestly, consisted of just two people) has had two people step down from the force. And crime has all but disappeared.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

WTF???? Good Gods, I couldn't imagine what was going through the victims minds while this was happening

Comment

Originally posted by Crimson Horizons View Post
                  Lovely news to come back to. Sheesh, the world is definitely a scary place. From one citizen whose constabulary sucks to another, my thoughts go out to these people. As twisted as it sounds, I hope the perpetrators of all three crimes are the same people. If not, it leads to a more disturbing thought; that they may be part of some larger organisation.
                  I agree. I would be terrified to be a gay man in Utah right now.

Large organizations need to remember that whatever tone they set, will be followed by a select minority to the Nth degree. Don't say things, unless you're prepared to have the zealous back them up.

Same goes for politics.

Comment

Working...
                  X