Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Pagan Forum Gospel: What is YOUR Good News?

Jun 2011
    Religion
    ADF Druid
    Phrase
    "Nothing a little lavender and wine can't fix!"

Re: The Pagan Forum Gospel: What is YOUR Good News?

I want to know what you think the best part or your faith is. What does it foster in your life? What does it bring to others?

The best part of my faith is the endless amount of awe it keeps me in. The bounty of the Earth Mother is ever fruitful, and it inspires my mind to be free and refreshing like the Air.

My awe of life is what gives birth to the philosophy in me. The Earth Mother provides my mind with a plethora of things to reflect about. The Animists knew well the Psychology of Mother Earth herself, having a piece of her soul present in all her creations. The humans could foresee her anger when Poseidon takes the oceans to swell, and her lust when the aroma of Persephone dances across the nose of lovers. We humans have not yet lost our connection to nature, for She is present everywhere and in all things. Her beauty is the morning sky of a new day, her love the warmth of the sun. Her subtly is the blade of grass breaking through the concrete.

To others I would say it brings the ability the have faith as well. We are more like Fire than we realize: our personal warmth spreads warmth to those who are near, and igniting those with the same passion who touch us. When two flames meet they become one flame burning brightly, and even when they separate the fire is still alive inside both of them.

Nov 2010
    Religion
    Slavic polytheist

My good news? It would take me awhile to describe where it all comes from. There are stories with pagan roots in Eastern Europe with many versions and variations, and collectively they contribute to my religious philosophy and framework. One type of tale from Slavic (and occasionally in Baltic) folklore describes how man was created from the sweat or saliva of "God". This story is very pervasive; it shows up from Lithuania to Slovenia, and the Chronicles of Nestor even put it in the mouths of pagan priests. It seems to be very old, certainly pre-Christian.

In some stories this act is unintentional, but it clearly portrays mankind as being part divine. This story, I think, highlights the close relationship between Gods and men. (both descended from the common progenitor deity described by Helmold.) Gods may appear human, and humans may appear Godlike, precisely because of this close relationship. One story says that because we were made from sweat, we must work hard ourselves- which I find motivating.

For me, this puts more emphasis on looking within for strength, wisdom, and for morality. Deities may help us to pursue these things, especially the traits that they embody, but they exist naturally inside of most of us, I believe.

I could go on, but I think that's the best news about my path. There is some idea of an afterlife, but I don't think that's the Gospel I would preach, especially to people today- probably because most religious people focus so much more on the afterlife than I do.
    If you want to be thought intelligent, just agree with everyone.

Oct 2010
    Religion
    solitary pagan witch with a strong interest in Anglo Saxons
    Phrase
    Phantom Turnips never die. They just get stewed occasionally....

My good news? That a deity's primary function is to teach and comfort, not to judge. I can handle that.... I think.
    www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Mar 2006
    Religion
    In transition -- Seriously looking into Shamanism

My religion gives me a sense of comfort. I feel like it sort of strengthens who I am, and it just makes me feel better. Does that make sense? I feel like without it, something would just be...off.
    It's a really, really cool thing, to be able to show people that you can be yourself, and you should be proud of yourself, and you should own who you are and what you're about, and never make apologies for it.
    -Adam Lambert

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Oct 2011
    Religion
    eclectic
    Phrase
    "Nothing in the world is free" is not totally true. You can get a ton of sarcasm if you ask for it.

Adaptation is the key to life. If you learn from your mistakes and make a conscious effort to change, you cannot be held back by regret and stubbornness. No one knows what is to come when we die, but if we can say that we always tried to be the best possible person, not for the sake of religion or fear of retribution but for ourselves and those affected by our actions, what could we have to fear?

When we do make mistakes, we are always able to adapt to what is caused. I think that we overlook this ability alot. All life that exists owes its existence to adaptation. To me, it is one of our greatest gifts.
    Last edited by babyfyrefly; 07 Dec 2011 at 14:00.

The Gaze of the Abyss B. de Corbin's Avatar
    Feb 2007
    Religion
    Alchemist and Neo-American Redneck Buddhist
    Frozen Northern Michigan, near Thunder Bay
    Phrase
    Where are the tweezers?

It all goes around and around and around again.

But it doesn't have to.
    Those who have suffered understand suffering and therefore extend their hand.

I can't do everything, but I can do something.

Jun 2007
    Religion
    Norse Something-or-Other
    Phrase
    Nice is not the same as good.

That I don't need some sort of divine intervention to have a better life...often all that is needed is a nudge to create a plan and DO what I dream about, instead of just talking about it.

Oct 2010
    Religion
    stregheria

The one thing I find,at least for myself in being attached to the strega tradition,is that I do not follow anything strictly. I pick and choose what feels right,and to me rules are more suggestions and choices. My path changes daily sometimes, as I explore all the aspects of my spirituality.

Dec 2011
    Religion
    Naturalistic Pantheism

Again for me its the idea of being on a path. I was raised a Catholic (I stress the word raised as I was never really free to choose wheather I believed it or not being a child at the time), before becoming an Agnostic and then realising that I was actually a Pantheist.

Identifying with Pantheism has allowed me to feel more of a sense of belonging which was missing as an agnostic. It could well be that I could change my opinions again, but im fairly certain that i'm on the Pagan path now and will remain so.
    "Men of broader intellect know that there is no sharp distinction betwixt the real and the unreal..."

Gaiano

The best part of my personal beliefs is that the universe and beyond is so complex and chaotics it is actually simple to understand.