This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going mainstream?

So, Star Foster @ Patheos had an article on whether or not Paganism has the ability of "Going Mainstream"...for those of us that have been Pagan of one flavor or another...this isn't exactly a new debate...nor is the question of going mainstream in the first place (of which this author is critical)

But, I figure there is a worthwhile discussion here.

First though...WTF do any of you consider "mainstream" in the first place? I mean...I don't know about any of you....but with the exception of my theological opinions, I'm pretty integrated into American society as a whole. One of the commenters said something along the line of it "being time we faced reality and grew up--we aren't some wacky sub-culture anymore" and to some extent, I agree with the sentiments, if not the wording (nah, I agree with that too).
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Re: Going mainstream?

To me mainstream is a facet of society which a vast majority of people consider to be ubiquitous in our culture. For example, American Idol is mainstream. I'd have to worry about an American who had never at least heard of it. It's perfectly acceptable for somebody to assume that I am a fan of American Idol, asking such questions as, "Hey, did you see American Idol last night?" This question assumes that I watch the show, even though I don't.

Heterosexuality is mainstream. Homosexuality is now considered acceptable in mainstream media, but in "real life" heterosexuality is typically assumed of everybody who doesn't exude stereotypical traits. Many people who don't know me well will ask me if I have a girlfriend. It's then time for me to correct their assumption and tell them I don't because I'm gay.

In the same vein I would say that Christianity (and to a somewhat lesser extent, Judaism and Islam) is the mainstream religion in America. It hasn't happened often but I have had people ask me if I go to church or, more presumptuously, "Which church do you go to?" We had never discussed the topic of religion yet they assumed that I am Christian. I don't think there's necessarily anything wrong with that, considering that most religious people in this country are Christian to one extent or another.

Paganism is virtually never assumed of anyone. It's highly unlikely that someone who had no idea what my religion was, or if I even had one, would ask me, "So, do you belong to a coven?" When the word "pagan" is used in fictional books, movies, and television shows it typically means "not Christian." The closest thing we have to Paganism in popular media is witches who have been mostly or entirely fantasized. It's not treated seriously as are the Abrahamic religions.

So I guess to me "mainstream" means popular or at least known of by everybody who doesn't live under a rock. Paganism, in this respect, is not mainstream except in a very "The Craft and Charmed" sort of way. Do I think it would be a good thing if Paganism were mainstream? Perhaps. When shown in a serious light which depicts Pagans as normal people with normal lives and normal jobs, it could very well bring a better understanding of who and what we are. I think it would also cut down on the tendency of youngsters to treat it as a fad. It wouldn't be so "exciting" without all the glamor, glitz and special effects.
    Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
    -Erik Erikson

Comment

I pretty much see mainstream as "mostly acceptable"...and I think the benefit of it is seen directly as not being something worth discriminating about. When "I'm Pagan" becomes as unremarkable as the "I jump out of airplanes...and I'm Mormon"' commercials, and not something that will get your kids taken away because your drug-abusing, cheating, spendthrift spouse with a pedophile boyfriend just happens to be Christian (this happens to people in the military around here in VA, so its not just minority religions that get substandard justice), or will get you fired or not promoted...then we will be mainstream. In some areas, I think its already there...but in others, not so much.
      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
      sigpic

Comment

That was a very thoughtful blog entry, thanks for sharing.

Although some pagans worry about seminaries making dogmatic Pagan clergy there are ways to teach that allow undogmatic beliefs. For some reason Pagans tend to think that being your own priest/ess makes you clergy, so why have seminary schools. But there's more to performing the duties of a cleric than just religious knowledge. A good chunk of a clergy's work is interpersonal skill that may include anything from acting as a therapist, friend, advocate, grief counselor, life counselor to managing social events, publicity, fund drives, or humanitarian assistance.

First though...WTF do any of you consider "mainstream" in the first place? I mean...I don't know about any of you....but with the exception of my theological opinions, I'm pretty integrated into American society as a whole. One of the commenters said something along the line of it "being time we faced reality and grew up--we aren't some wacky sub-culture anymore" and to some extent, I agree with the sentiments, if not the wording (nah, I agree with that too).
        You may be a well mainstreamed Pagan, but the pagan religions are not.
        Re: Living History Blog
        Ancient Celtic Clans

Comment

Interesting question. I think I agree with Clive in the definition of mainstream. If I can say I'm Pagan and not have it be a Big Thing (and hey, actually having people know what I'm talking about) then that's mainstream. I honestly think that will be a good thing. If I can say "I'm Pagan" and get the same sort of reactions I used to get when I said "I'm Christian" then win.

Comment

Working...
          X