Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What do you think evil is?

What. The. Fuck.

Okay, I'm gonna puke and then spend time sharpening a machete and plotting violent deeds. That does provide one possible answer to my challenge at least in regard to whichever particular sterling examples of idiocy believe it. Rape peads to immortality. I should know better than to ask for the motives of scum.
    life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Evil is the absence of good. It is not an entity unto itself rather it is the description of what happens when good is completely removed.

Comment

I really hate it when people do something horrible and say 'The devil (or whoever) made me do it.' Evil is not an entity. There are evil people, evil deeds, and yes, sometimes evil entities, but evil itself is not an entity. Neither is good. At least, that's my opinion.

I don't believe personally that anything is totally good or totally evil. Good people can do some awful things. Horrible people can perform unexpected acts of kindness.

So in reply to the original headline, 'What do you think evil is?' I would say it's the result of a choice that someone very ordinary has decided to make.
        www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

What about something like what the Jigsaw Killer did in the Saw movies? I personally think those movies (aside from the first one) suck, but the premise is interesting: This person kidnaps people whom he feels are abusing and wasting the gift of life - men who cheat on their wives, drug addicts, and so forth - and puts them in a situation where they have to use their brains or die. He makes a valid point, but his methods are violent and gruesome to say the least.

Putting somebody in a situation where they have to think fast or die in the hopes that they make it out alive and adopt a new gratitude for their own life. Is that evil?
          Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
          -Erik Erikson

Comment

My personal opinion is that good and evil are purely human concepts. We just view things in a certain light based upon our society and personal values.

Comment

Originally posted by Clive View Post
              Putting somebody in a situation where they have to think fast or die in the hopes that they make it out alive and adopt a new gratitude for their own life. Is that evil?
              I don't feel it's 'evil' so much as misguided, narcissistic and flawed. You can't make people change - it's why interventions tend to fail. What makes the perpetrator of the act believe that they are the one who should place the other person in that situation in the first place? And chances are, the victim isn't going to have a new-found sense of gratitude - they're going to be traumatized and possibly haunted by PTSD among other psychological problems.
              The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

I think evil is based on who is on the other end of the act which is being scrutinized. It is subjective to the community, country or person involved.

For my one part, I tend to consider people to be evil when they do things which affect me or my loved ones negatively. And I am not swayed by their circumstances or knowledge when they committed the act.

The more you repeat such actions, especially if you show enjoyment the more evil I believe you to be.

Further, I do not consider negativity to be innately evil and equally I think that positive things can be evil.

In the case of the Devil and other entities, I would refer to my opening statement. If the 'good' ones did what the 'evil ones' did, it would be good and not evil even if the action was the same. Thus I don't class bodies, or parties or entities as evil until they have interacted with me directly.
                Giving is its own reward.

Comment

I cannot define evil in words. Not at 11am and no breakfast yet, that shit just ain't happenin'. However, I do think that BEHAVIOR can be evil, and I think even good hearted people can have moments of it.

I'll use examples

- molesting children is evil
                  - beating/abusing/raping/intentionally hurting people is evil
                  - beating/abusing/intentionally hurting animals is evil
                  - murder is evil

I use such extreme behavior because evil is an extreme word. There is good and bad behavior (and I don't give a flying flip what anyone says, everyone KNOWS what good and bad behavior is), but Righteous and Evil behavior is something else entirely. Good behavior might be holding doors open for people, or giving up your seat for an old lady. Righteous behavior would be like... giving your own bread bowl to the starving child and going without. Evil behavior might then be stealing that bread bowl from the child and having two bread bowls to yourself.

Again, it's difficult to pinpoint such wiggly concepts with words.
                  No one tells the wind which way to blow.

Comment

Originally posted by Bjorn View Post
                    I use such extreme behavior because evil is an extreme word. There is good and bad behavior (and I don't give a flying flip what anyone says, everyone KNOWS what good and bad behavior is), but Righteous and Evil behavior is something else entirely. Good behavior might be holding doors open for people, or giving up your seat for an old lady. Righteous behavior would be like... giving your own bread bowl to the starving child and going without. Evil behavior might then be stealing that bread bowl from the child and having two bread bowls to yourself.

Again, it's difficult to pinpoint such wiggly concepts with words.
                    Indeed. I think those of us who aren't deranged can agree on your examples of good, bad, righteous and evil behavior. An interesting question that follows is whether or not the acting person's intentions color the nature of the act. Do acts of good such as giving away money with no expectations of repayment become evil when the giver is doing so to boost his or her ego? Does it then become a shameful act of unhealthy pride? Or is the fact that someone received help and was better off for it all that matters?

It seems that most of our thoughts of what evil is pertain to acts of harm against others - assault, theft, murder, rape - but what of harmful acts inflicted upon oneself? Are self-mutilation and suicide, for example, evil?
                    Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
                    -Erik Erikson

Comment

Originally posted by Clive View Post
                      Indeed. I think those of us who aren't deranged can agree on your examples of good, bad, righteous and evil behavior. An interesting question that follows is whether or not the acting person's intentions color the nature of the act. Do acts of good such as giving away money with no expectations of repayment become evil when the giver is doing so to boost his or her ego? Does it then become a shameful act of unhealthy pride? Or is the fact that someone received help and was better off for it all that matters?

It seems that most of our thoughts of what evil is pertain to acts of harm against others - assault, theft, murder, rape - but what of harmful acts inflicted upon oneself? Are self-mutilation and suicide, for example, evil?
                      Intent is the driving force of all human behavior. I would suggest that intent does not color the act itself, but the actor. If I wanted to boost my own ego by giving someone who truly needed money some of mine, then this falls into interpretive thinking. To the person who is receiving money, I am a godsend and have acted Righteously. That is their personal Truth given the information at hand. For them to think that perhaps I was giving under false pretenses, or with ulterior motives might color THEIR behavior and make them less grateful.

A good deed is a good deed. It matters not the intent because the deed is done for someone else and that person benefited. However, MOTIVE can be purely evil. But to say that motive colors the output is not always true or fair. Regardless, I gave that money to someone who needed it. I did a good thing for that person, as well as a good thing for myself. In that example, I don't see why this can't be good behavior on both parts because at the root of it, I am making myself feel better not by harming, putting down, or belittling, but by lifting up and helping.
                      No one tells the wind which way to blow.

Comment

Originally posted by Bjorn View Post
                        Intent is the driving force of all human behavior. I would suggest that intent does not color the act itself, but the actor. If I wanted to boost my own ego by giving someone who truly needed money some of mine, then this falls into interpretive thinking. To the person who is receiving money, I am a godsend and have acted Righteously. That is their personal Truth given the information at hand. For them to think that perhaps I was giving under false pretenses, or with ulterior motives might color THEIR behavior and make them less grateful.

A good deed is a good deed. It matters not the intent because the deed is done for someone else and that person benefited. However, MOTIVE can be purely evil. But to say that motive colors the output is not always true or fair. Regardless, I gave that money to someone who needed it. I did a good thing for that person, as well as a good thing for myself. In that example, I don't see why this can't be good behavior on both parts because at the root of it, I am making myself feel better not by harming, putting down, or belittling, but by lifting up and helping.
                        For the most part, I agree. However, I think just the fact that someone attaches part of their self-worth to their generosity is a sign of goodness.
                        If you want to be thought intelligent, just agree with everyone.

Comment

Evil is a term, like good, bad, ect... that is subjective to the viewer and has no basis in objectivity. Like all subjective terms evil exists to positively or negatively reinforce the personal perspective of the viewer. It simply does not exist outside of the human mind. To borrow an old and overused phrase:

"There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so." - from Hamlet , Wm. Shakespeare; Act II, scene ii

This is how evil is currently viewed in my own little world haha!!

Comment

Good and evil are nothing more than ideals, but they are based on and rooted in something I believe is far more important and fundamental to the human experience: Instinct and rationality.

Morality is just an extension of what we think and how we feel.
                            Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

To me 'evil' is just a word. A word used to describe things which are considered to be bad. Good, evil, to me they are just descriptive words which us humans created in need of making norms all humans are expected to follow. In need of an order.

'Evil' is a very strong word that people use to judge each other for their believes, doings, ways of living or pretty much just anything these days. Yes, murdering or raping someone isn't an rightful act, but I think we should look deeper into things before going after their heads. No one is born with a weapon in his/her hand. There are other reasons than just being 'evil' why people do these horrible things we see as 'evil'.

And well, what you see as 'evil' might not be 'evil' to someone else. Cultural differences should never be forgotten when talking about these things.

But to me it's just a word.

Comment

To me, "evil" is a consistent attitude and pattern of behaviour of immoral or unethical action. While "immoral" is usually simply discounted as a relative concept, constantly changing between cultures and religions and so is not relevant to the modern experience. I have a belief that human-created morality is capable of being objective. It just takes time and thought to find the best system. One that works for everyone and provides for a way to achieve a virtue or "highest Good" as Aristotle said.
                                My morality is based around the Aristotelian ethic of reciprocity and a Kantian consistency of action; all people ought to treat others the way those people wish to be treated in order to achieve happiness for oneself and others. While how to treat those people will vary from person to person and situation to situation, and therefore be subjective and not absolute, I believe this to be an objective moral system. It proposes that the highest moral Good is happiness, for oneself and others. An objective ideal or virtue, rather than one that change with the times and culture.
                                In such a paradigm, "immoral" would be actions that inhibit the happiness and freedom of oneself and others.

Some say that it's wrong for people to make judgements about good and evil, or to judge people or cultures as evil or bad. I say that there's a reason we have a sense of judgement. We just have to use it properly.
                                Last edited by Louisvillian; 30 May 2012, 21:46.

Comment

Working...
                                X