Herbs and fiber

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Herbs and fiber

Can fiber supplements have negative reactions on herbal supplements or medications? I know fiber can suppress the effects of some prescription medications, so just wondering.
    Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
    -Erik Erikson

Re: Herbs and fiber

It's not so much of a negative reaction as maybe moving it out of your system before it has time to fully be absorbed by your intestines. Some of the supplements on the market have a lot of filler material that takes longer to digest, so if you've gotta run before the pills fully dissolve... well, you're flushing good money right down the toilet
    The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

[quote author=perzephone link=topic=366.msg4679#msg4679 date=1287472383]
      It's not so much of a negative reaction as maybe moving it out of your system before it has time to fully be absorbed by your intestines. Some of the supplements on the market have a lot of filler material that takes longer to digest, so if you've gotta run before the pills fully dissolve... well, you're flushing good money right down the toilet
      [/quote]

Thanks, that's good to know...and it made me laugh. :P

What about infusions and tinctures? I typically make those for myself rather than use store-bought capsules.
      Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
      -Erik Erikson

Comment

[quote author=perzephone link=topic=366.msg4679#msg4679 date=1287472383]
        [/quote]

also, another reason with medications is because somethings should not be taken within a certain time frame of eating in general--because of increase in stomach acid...I don't know of any herbs that have this problem, but its something to keep in mind.
        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
        sigpic

Comment

[quote author=thalassa link=topic=366.msg4765#msg4765 date=1287497285]
          also, another reason with medications is because somethings should not be taken within a certain time frame of eating in general--because of increase in stomach acid...I don't know of any herbs that have this problem, but its something to keep in mind.
          [/quote]

Cool, thanks for the tip.
          -Erik Erikson

Comment

[quote author=Clive link=topic=366.msg4681#msg4681 date=1287472687]
            What about infusions and tinctures? I typically make those for myself rather than use store-bought capsules.
            [/quote]

Liquids usually enter your bloodstream faster, so fiber probably isn't stopping them.

I know statin drugs for high cholesterol (along with weight-loss drugs that prevent your body from absorbing fats) can interfere with certain types of Omega fatty acids & fat-soluble vitamins. Oats may do the same thing to a lesser extent.
            The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

[quote author=perzephone link=topic=366.msg4870#msg4870 date=1287508042]
              Liquids usually enter your bloodstream faster, so fiber probably isn't stopping them.

I know statin drugs for high cholesterol (along with weight-loss drugs that prevent your body from absorbing fats) can interfere with certain types of Omega fatty acids & fat-soluble vitamins. Oats may do the same thing to a lesser extent.
              [/quote]

Good info. I don't take any prescription medications so I guess I'm good to go. Thanks.
              -Erik Erikson

Comment

Working...
              X