This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DEBATE! Contrasting The Wild Hunt with Korean Shamanism and Reiki

Ok this starts out with a mouthful. But I think they all connect.

Solitary attunement is possible.
    Temple Of The Vampire is an example of that. Which reminds one of The Wild Hunt . Expressed pretty well in a Therion song of the same name.

Hunted by the gargoyles through the labyrinth.
    Loosing Ariadne's thread. I'm gone astray!
    Tumbling into chaos without anything
    And my holy guardian angel has walked away.
    I'm chasing my shadow inside my own soul
    I am the persecutor of my self in the wild hunt
    The horned god take me through infernal journeys
    The dogs are barking and the owls cry out loud,
    Shadows are laughing and screaming in my ears.
    I see the outline of the horned man-in-black.
    He stretch his hand to my left shoulder in fear.
    I throw my self into all the demons. I cast my self into the wild hunt
    The forest is the labyrinth of fear and all the dead running in the hunt.
    I give my self unto all my demons and let they eat of my mind and soul.
    I will gain strange powers in this ravage. I cast my self into the wild hunt

Quick overview of Korean shamanism (Muism) on youtube . It's short. Under 6min long.

Korean television show about the supernatural, called 'Shocking Life'. . This show starts off in a sensationalist television gimmicky sort of way but then it moves to a portrait of a young female charismatic mudang. However the show begins with a portrait of the 'hereditary' style.

FINALLY,
    For a very good overview of these two ideas of the same folk tradition you will want to look at this article. It concerns the training process of charismatic mudang. These are people who start learning their customs beginning with a psychotic episode.

Now.

IMHO,
    Korean shamanism is a lot like reiki attunement.

And when you start looking into Korean shamanism, you realize it is a lot like the Wild Hunt. Which is... something of note to pagans.

Hence. My whole point.

Thank you. Have at me.

Any other books you recommend along this line of thinking would be great.

Re: Contrasting The Wild Hunt with Korean Shamanism and Reiki

I'm sorry but...what's the wild hunt?
    Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

Originally posted by DeseretRose View Post
      I'm sorry but...what's the wild hunt?

"When the winter winds blow and the Yule fires are lit, it is best to stay indoors, safely shut away from the dark paths and the wild heaths. Those who wander out by themselves during the Yule-nights may hear a sudden rustling through the tops of the trees - a rustling that might be the wind, though the rest of the wood is still.

"But then the barking of dogs fills the air, and the host of wild souls sweeps down, fire flashing from the eyes of the black hounds and the hooves of the black horses"
      Kveldulf Hagen Gundarsson (Mountain Thunder)
      I'm not precisely sure whose mythology it really "belongs" to (in origin, I mean, though it seems it might have started out as a tale of Odin) since it shows up in several different mythologies and folktales and attirbuted to different gods, heroes and historical figures (and under different names)...but its basically a supernatural hunting party that won't quit (until they ride their quarry down to the ground). I've seen said to be "'lead" by Odin, Herne, King Arthur in a French tale, King Herla in some English tales (who's story may be a derivative of Odin). Derivatives also show up in several different fantasy novels--The Obsidian Trilogy by Mercedes Lackey and James Mallory, as the Starry Hunt (great books, BTW--and what made me learn more about it),some urban fantasy series that attributes it to Cernunnos...and in LOTR, where Aragon summons the Army of the Dead:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r622O7Kh4B4

...there is even an American version, from an old cowboy song (of which Johnny Cash did a version).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmxB2BwVufA

An old cowpoke went ridin' out one dark and windy day,
      Upon a ridge he rested as he went along his way
      When all at once a mighty herd of red eyed cows he saw
      Come rushin' through the ragged skies and up a cloudy draw.

Their brands were still on fire and their hooves were made of steel
      Their horns were black and shiny and their hot breath you could feel
      A bolt of fear went through him as they thundered through the sky
      He saw the riders coming hard... and he heard their mournful cry

Yipie i oh Yipie i ay
      Ghost riders in the sky.

Their face is gaunt their eyes were blurred their shirts all soaked
      With sweat
      They're ridin' hard to catch that herd but they 'aint caught 'em yet
      'cause they've got to ride forever in the range up in the sky
      On horses snorting fire as they ride hard hear them cry

The riders leaned on by him he heard one call his name
      If you want to save your soul from hell a riding on our range
      Then cow - boy change your ways today or with us you will ride
      Tryin' to catch this devil herd... a - cross these endless
      Skies.

Yipie i oh Yipie i ay
      Ghost riders in the sky.
      Ghost riders in the sky.
      Ghost riders in the sky.
      I don't know enough about Korean Shamanism to say anything on that matter...but the Wild Hunt as a shamanistic sort of journeying would make sense.
      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
      sigpic

Comment

I provided a lot of information in my OP to see the relation.

Korean Mu shamans worship what we would call warrior generals. In their folklore it is believed that they ride across the heavens waving flags and a shaman begins their initiation through communion and/or possession with these spirits.

Comment

Originally posted by Troll_ov_Grimness View Post
          I provided a lot of information in my OP to see the relation.
          But that's the point...the only thing someone who doesn't know more than superficial information on phenomenon can say is "well, it looks like there are some interesting parallels there". This isn't the first myth that has parallels in other cultures. I could also say that there looks to be some surface similarity to Voodoo...but its impossible for that to have any real meaning without real knowledge on the matter. AFAIK, we don't have anyone else onboard that has an interest on Korean Shamanism...actually, in my 18 years of being Pagan and participating in the Pagan community, I can honestly say this is the first time I've seen someone talk about it. It doesn't mean that its not an interesting topic on the matter...but without being properly framed for conversation and without knowing your audience here, I doubt you are going to get the sort of response you are looking for.
          Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
          sigpic

Comment

All I was looking for was perspectives from other old traditions of becoming a psychopomp. The idea of 'Becoming' ...something. Reiki has this idea too.

I don't mean to be vague. I mean to be very specific...

Comment

Thanks for that, Thal!

I agree with Thal that there are issues that can happen if someone works too hard to find correlations from distant cultures. There are all sorts of examples from my own childhood I could use as an example.

My bet is that what you are seeing are variations on themes that are often found in shamanistic practice, the world over. In many places, shamanism ended up integrating into later more organized religious systems, or even eventually into the local concept of christianity or buddhism, depending on geographic location. As for mentions of the wild hunt, I'd heard of it before, but needed you and Thal to remind me what it was (long week, been feeling yucky, long story). While most heathens worship the Aesir in a fairly standardized way, there are a small minority who have an interest in shamanism, and who claim that practitioners of Seid, followers of Odin, were possibly part of a shamanistic tradition similar to that of the Sami people (sometimes called Laplanders).
              Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

What I am mainly curious about is that both reiki and korean shamanism hold something in common which is that they can often result in the initiate developing a kind of psychosis. there are very real effects that draw the two disciplines together.

Any other transformative religious practices that develop a psychosis without any drug use?

I'm intrigued to learn of more. This is a hobby of mine.

Today (any of you live in Montreal?) I found some korean shamanism books in the local Concordia University library (although it didn't have the one I wanted) I took out a few things...

Shamans, Housewives, and Other Restless Spirits. Women In Korean Ritual Life by Laurel Kendall
                University of Hawaii Press Honolulu

Korean Shamanism : The Cultural Paradox by Chongho Kim

An Initiation Kut For A Shaman
                Filmaker Diana S. Lee with Anthropologist Laurel Kendall
                An old shitty VHS from 1991 I almost broke.

This is a small world.
                Last edited by Troll_ov_Grimness; 20 Sep 2011, 14:34.

Comment

You might want to try Supernatural by Graham Handcock. He's particularly interested in the use of psychoactives by Shamanic cultures. Despite treating Terence McKenna as a creditable source, it's a pretty good book.
                  Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

I have an anti drug policy.

You do not need drugs to do reiki for example.

Korean Shamanism is an entire civilization's worth of drugless shamanism

Street drugs or whatever you call them are illegal. And if I was a moderator I would ban you right now.

Many shamanic traditions are drug-less

Comment

I'm sorry - I misunderstood what you had said. It's still a good book and might be useful to you anyway.

And I think I'll let the moderators decide if I need to be banned for trying to help somebody with a question.
                      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Troll, I AM a moderator. Nothing in Corbin's post was meant to promote drug use. He was merely commenting on an aspect of the book (and I saw nothing in his post about street drugs), something that is sometimes indeed prevalent in shamanic cultures and religions, especially depending upon which ones you are looking at and time periods. It is not for ANYONE other than the staff of this website to reprimand another member. Corbin's not going to be banned for making a comment.

Continue on with the debate please.
                        It's a really, really cool thing, to be able to show people that you can be yourself, and you should be proud of yourself, and you should own who you are and what you're about, and never make apologies for it.
                        -Adam Lambert

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Comment

Originally posted by Troll_ov_Grimness View Post
                          Street drugs or whatever you call them are illegal. And if I was a moderator I would ban you right now.
                          I'm not going to bust out the mod-red, since K already did that...Instead I'm just going to say that the use of mind and mood altering substances (legal or not) is someone's own business, and is a valid topic of conversation, depending on how it is handled. I might add that an idea of the Wild Hunt as an experience that involves the use of drug-aided journeying is not a new one (and that isn't even what Corbin was talking about).

Corbin never specifically mentioned using illegal substances--there are plenty of legal ones, and even if he did, its not an automatic reason for censure, and even if it was, that's not your job. If you want to speak for yourself--that for some reason you have personal issues with drug use (not to be confused with drug abuse or drug addiction, which I don't think *anyone* supports here), its your business, provided its polite. But please, don't presume to tell a beloved member of several years what he can or cannot say on this forum, when you haven't been here long enough to find out for yourself.

With the exception of spam, there is very little we actually censor on this site. We carry the expectation that we are all reasonably mature individuals capable of making our own choices and carrying on (mostly) civilized conversations. And it takes a helluva lot more than talking about smoking a joint on here to get banned, much less a discussion of reading material.
                          sigpic

Comment

Maybe then but now those drugs are mostly illegal, and they do NOT provide any advantage to becoming or practicing as a shaman.

So it OUGHT to be discouraged and punished.

But go ahead ruin your critical capacity and ruin your lives with criminal records

Comment

Troll, drop it or the thread will be locked.

Plain and simple. Corbin was making a point about the book he referenced. The end.

ALSO, on many native american reservations, the use of certain substances is in fact legal for traditional religious ceremonies. EITHER WAY, put it to rest and get back to the matter at hand, or I'll put it to rest for you and no one will be able to comment in the topic anymore.
                              It's a really, really cool thing, to be able to show people that you can be yourself, and you should be proud of yourself, and you should own who you are and what you're about, and never make apologies for it.
                              -Adam Lambert

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Comment

Working...
                              X