This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Contrasting The Wild Hunt with Korean Shamanism and Reiki

I'm still waiting for some actual resources. Where are you getting your information...because as I said, I have been over there. I have studied the culture, and I have never come across this information. Stop speaking about it as if you are the authority on Koreans and show us some actual proof. Citations. Even names of books. This is a debate, and I would really like to know where you are coming up with this stuff. I'm not going to take your word for it, especially since as someone who has studied Asian cultures and is reading about shamanism herself, I have NO idea where you are coming up with this information. I would like to know, for my own education, but it seems no matter how many people ask you for actual sources, you are never going to provide that information.

Unfortunately, as has been said many times, this is still a debate. No one is going to take your word for anything. Where is this information coming from?
    It's a really, really cool thing, to be able to show people that you can be yourself, and you should be proud of yourself, and you should own who you are and what you're about, and never make apologies for it.
    -Adam Lambert

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Comment

Originally posted by Troll_ov_Grimness View Post
      Ok this starts out with a mouthful. But I think they all connect.

Solitary attunement is possible.
      Temple Of The Vampire is an example of that. Which reminds one of The Wild Hunt . Expressed pretty well in a Therion song of the same name.

....And when you start looking into Korean shamanism, you realize it is a lot like the Wild Hunt. Which is... something of note to pagans.

Hence. My whole point.

Thank you. Have at me.

Any other books you recommend along this line of thinking would be great.
      To be honest, cariad, I think part of the problem here is that you try to make connections that are tenuous at best. The Temple of the Vampire is not an example that proves solitary attunement is possible. You do not define solitary attunement, and this is your debate, so you should.

A song and a Wikipedia article aren't particularly good as evidence, it's true, but you are throwing them at us as though they are and getting mighty miffed when people don't agree.

You can't just come out with 'Hence. My whole point,' and expect this to lead anywhere worthwhile as a discussion. Is a discussion really what you want? Or - from the tone of some of your points - is it something else?
      www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

The koreans worship the spirits of warrior generals. From an actual case history of shinbyong (initiation shaman illness),
        True or not, this has little to do with the Wild Hunt.

"That night she had a dream in which many shillyong (spirits) riding horses, came into her house, waving flags and swords. [This signifies in Korean folk lore that one is being possessed].
        Possession is not something the pre-christian Teutonic peoples were familiar with, to the best of my knowledge. Furthermore, there is no possession in the Wild Hunt until after the conversion to christianity. That said, if you want to deal with later versions of what the Wild Hunt became (in which demons were said to possess the dead and the unwary), I cannot stop you, merely caution you that those versions would be virtually unrecognisable to the originators of the practice.

Korean shamanism is close geographically and also similar to shamanic customs in Siberia and Mongolia etc... some Koreans worship Genghis Khan or General Douglas MacArthur. anyone really.
        Okay, but again, how does this relate to the Wild Hunt?

The idea in the wild hunt of being 'taken' recalls spiritual possession. for the Koreans who want to become shamans this a rite of passage.
        Ah. I can at last see what you're trying to get across. That said, your correlation is faulty. Those who were taken during the original forms of the Wild Hunt most certainly never came back, making a line between the Wild Hunt and shamanistic ascension impossible. For later versions of the Wild Hunt, those who were taken were said to have been inhabited by demons, again making links with shamanistic practices highly unlikely. The Wild Hunt was not a rite of passage, and it was certainly not something that brave warriors went out to face. The Wild Hunt was a tale of dread, most likely designed to keep people (especially children) in check, a sort of ancient boogeyman type tale told to prevent misdeeds.
        "The proper office of a friend is to side with you when you are in the wrong. Nearly anybody will side with you when you are in the right."--Mark Twain

"There are only two types of people in this world who walk around beardless; boys and women. I am neither one." --Ancient Greek saying

Comment

The idea in the wild hunt of being 'taken' recalls spiritual possession. for the Koreans who want to become shamans this a rite of passage.
          While that does make for some "pretty" connections in literary analysis, saying that something "recalls" spiritual possession does not effectively demonstrate likeness. In one instance, the song, a person is taken from their body, and in spiritual possession, one's body is generally occupied by something else. Nothing has been said of "where the person goes" during possession, which seems to imply that they are simply suppressed. These are very different circumstances.

This still hinges on the song as a resource, which is also a problem. And this doesn't address Reiki; what do you believe is transformed by the act of giving or recieving Reiki? I only say "giving or recieving" because you appear to have snubbed my analysis of attunement as an initiatory experience which varies from the shamanic initiation.

We quite literally want a post that is a short research paper.
          "A true initiation never ends"-Robert Anton Wilson
          http://www.hermetic.com/crowley
          "Reality has become a commodity"-Stephen Colbert 1/29/07
          http://www.chaosmatrix.org/
          "Sometimes, when you can't breathe, there are people there to breathe for you" - Aesop Rock
          http://upholdingmaat.wordpress.com

Comment

Methinks I recognise an old former member of this forum under a new guise...;-) Has anyone else noticed the similarities?

Comment

Not certain. Given the past year, a return under a new name wouldn't overly surprise me but I don't want to try and link Troll to anyone I remember yet.
              life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Has anyone else felt that this individual was replying to our posts very directly... just in the wrong threads? I can't tell if multiple threads is dizzying, whether this is on purpose, or whether this person is even aware of it.
                "A true initiation never ends"-Robert Anton Wilson
                http://www.hermetic.com/crowley
                "Reality has become a commodity"-Stephen Colbert 1/29/07
                http://www.chaosmatrix.org/
                "Sometimes, when you can't breathe, there are people there to breathe for you" - Aesop Rock
                http://upholdingmaat.wordpress.com

Comment

Guys, keep the posts as on topic as possible please. We'll see if the op responds to some of the comments. If not the thread can be closed.
                  It's a really, really cool thing, to be able to show people that you can be yourself, and you should be proud of yourself, and you should own who you are and what you're about, and never make apologies for it.
                  -Adam Lambert

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Comment

Originally posted by kijani View Post
                    Guys, keep the posts as on topic as possible please.

That's part of the problem, here, K. At least with this thread.

Contrasting the Wild Hunt with any sense of Shamanism and/or reiki is no different than 'contrasting Dracula with Southern Baptist and acupuncture.' Except, of course, for the origins of the examples. There is no connection to be made, in order to compare similar threads or contrast variances of the details. None documented, anyway.

Claims are not the same as resources or documentation. I can claim to be the sole inspiration of The Wild Hunt, for instance. However, without any resources to back it up AND with documentation that sharply contradicts the claim....

The notion becomes nonsensical. As is the thread, here.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

Mods - mea culpa. I did stray off topic, although I felt my observation might be pertinent in the circumstances

So, to return to the original post:
                      Now.

IMHO,
                      Korean shamanism is a lot like reiki attunement.

And when you start looking into Korean shamanism, you realize it is a lot like the Wild Hunt. Which is... something of note to pagans.

Hence. My whole point.

Thank you. Have at me.

Any other books you recommend along this line of thinking would be great.
                      'Korean shamanism is a lot like reiki attunement'. No. Not in my opinion.

'And when you start looking into Korean shamanism, you realize it is a lot like the Wild Hunt.' I disagree on this because there are many different Wild Hunts. Even within Wales, where it's known as Arawn and the Cwn Annwn there are variations. I think we might need a whole separate discussion on the nature, appearance and possible function of the Wild Hunts in various cultures. There isn't just a single Wild Hunt.

'Which is... something of note to pagans'. Why? I don't see it. Many pagans go through life without thinking about (let alone encountering) the Wild Hunt or Reiki for that matter. It could be very helpful if the OP explained why he felt association was important.

It's not really much of a debate when all is said and done. More an academic Twinkie Bar...

Comment

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
                        'And when you start looking into Korean shamanism, you realize it is a lot like the Wild Hunt.' I disagree on this because there are many different Wild Hunts. Even within Wales, where it's known as Arawn and the Cwn Annwn there are variations. I think we might need a whole separate discussion on the nature, appearance and possible function of the Wild Hunts in various cultures. There isn't just a single Wild Hunt.
                        Actually...I think this would make a great discussion. Personally, I find the derivatives that have popped up in pop culture to be quite interesting, but I don't know that much about all the mythic variations either,so its all good!
                        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X