X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tips for keeping warm

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
    The fuel companies say its to meet the rising cost of producing energy, but yet their annual profits are still going up. Not slightly reduced, or remaining the same, as you'd expect if production costs were rising, but actually increasing. They are a massive part of the increased poverty and steep reduction in quality of life in this country.
    Same here, and electric as well. For electricity, the government told electric companies that they had to start participating in funding green energy by giving them a surcharge, but of course instead of taking that out of their massive profits, that surcharge was passed on to us.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
    You know, I've never (no matter where I lived) had issues with heating/how much it costs.

Why's it so bad in the UK? Do you lot all have those little coin-operated heaters I've seen in some older buildings? Or floor radiators, or what?

We have central heating, and yeah, it can cost $200 a month sometimes in the winter, but...I dunno, it's seen as normal, or 'the price you pay' or something.
    You've mostly lived in BC though, right? $200 is a lot less to the average BC resident than 125 pounds is to the average British resident, because incomes are higher on average. Also, the cost of energy is so much lower in BC. So, so much lower. I always lived on the coast, which I admit has blissfully low heating costs (mind you, so should the UK as the climate is similar), but even a mild winter here in Berlin (which could also be similar) where I rarely use heat will carry higher costs than if I used the heat daily back home. AND I think heat/gas is a bit cheaper in Germany than the UK. Wages have also stagnated in Germany. I think this is true for the whole country, but as most of the country is fairly high-income, it's not really such a big deal. In Berlin though, it's a HUGE deal. It's traditionally a very cheap city, but rents are rising fast, and the rising costs of stuff like food and energy are felt really strongly. People earn lower wages here than the rest of the country and wages aren't going up, even though costs are starting to resemble other German cities.

I think in general, Europe is facing a lot of intense political corruption, and it's not really being dealt with because of the financial crisis. Even over here where things are better financially, they still use it to justify everything, like "we're doing everything right because we're not in a recession". Unfortunately low labour costs have been cited as one of the things that shelters Germany, so there's little incentive to introduce something like a minimum wage (which would be massively helpful to the high number of people living in Berlin making 4 Euros per hour). The UK isn't so much in a recession anymore as it is stagnant, but "recession" is still used to justify really crappy pay, major cuts, and rising costs.

- - - Updated - - -

Shale gas!! That's why North Americans pay so much less for energy. Was just on TV because there's a big debate at the moment about fracking being allowed in the UK. They asked, 'would it reduce our gas bills?' Then said, 'it has in the US, but they have nearly 30 times as mich shale gas as we have.' (I rewinded the news to give an accurate quote, how's that for dedication?).
    Yep, and looking at this map, it also explains why Alberta is so rich (they also have all the oil):

Back in the day, I also had electric heat, which people went off of back home as they got sold natural gas provided by private companies, but is actually rather green as electricity comes from renewable sources in the province, and is dirt cheap, as it's provided by a provincial crown corporation.
    Last edited by DanieMarie; 14 Dec 2012, 06:13.

Comment

Shale gas!! That's why North Americans pay so much less for energy. Was just on TV because there's a big debate at the moment about fracking being allowed in the UK. They asked, 'would it reduce our gas bills?' Then said, 'it has in the US, but they have nearly 30 times as mich shale gas as we have.' (I rewinded the news to give an accurate quote, how's that for dedication?).
      There are debates about the accuracy of this over here right now... Apparently fracking is not entirely safe, or even remotely good for the environment, but they want to frack wildlife preserves... I am not sure what the point of a wild life preserve that doesn't preserve wildlife. There are arguments as to whether it is as efficient as it could be and whether it really is saving money... which is an agument for a different day...
      http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
      ~Jim Butcher

Comment

I keep records of my electric & natural gas bills, and in New Jersey they were higher. Both homes heat with nat. gas, and have (electric) central a/c, gas stove. I've been here in MO over 3 years now and my annual average for gas is $632.25, and for electric $707.86 (that includes central air. The last 3 years I lived in NJ, the annual gas avg. was $732.37 and electric $980.43.
        Electric in particular was much higher in NJ - and my water heater and clothes dryer there were both gas - here both are electric.
        Procurement is different here - the county buys electricity for the rural areas, and the city buys for within city limits. But it all boils down to profits and who makes the best deal.
        sigpic
        Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

I know it's not really keeping warm, but saving on your energy bill that we've started to drift towards, but I think they go hand in hand. If you're using alternative methods of keeping warm, you will save money and if you find ways to cut back on your energy bill, you'll feel more confident to turn up the heating when it gets colder. So I think this post is on topic.

We have decided to ban me from having baths all the time. I'm allowed a bath no more than once a week and have to shower the rest of the time. JP prefers to shower, but I almost always take a bath to get clean and I know this is wasteful of hot water. We have also turned the hot water right down so that the shower is at the right temperature without having to turn on the cold water too. That should save a bit of money. It's too cold for a bath though, so on bath night, I'll have to turn the hot water back up. It also means we're washing our dishes in cooler water, but most washing up liquid is antibacterial so I don't think the water needs to be scalding anyway. Hopefully this will save a few pennies at least.

It's been slightly warmer this week actually, so we've been able to keep the heating off most of the time. We do need to wrap up because it's 16 degrees in here, but 16 is nothing compared to the temperatures of last week, so we're saving money while we have the option.

I probably mentioned this all ready, but in addition to my dressing gown, I also wear lovely fleecy pajamas that I got cheap from Primark. Primark's adult night clothes are a bit too big for me, which means I can wear them over clothes or other PJs. This is soo snuggly and I definitely recommend it. I've got two pairs and I have thick fluffy socks and two pairs of slippers in matching colours. I like to be stylish AND cosy! ^^
          夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

I know it's not really keeping warm, but saving on your energy bill that we've started to drift towards, but I think they go hand in hand. If you're using alternative methods of keeping warm, you will save money and if you find ways to cut back on your energy bill, you'll feel more confident to turn up the heating when it gets colder. So I think this post is on topic.

We have decided to ban me from having baths all the time. I'm allowed a bath no more than once a week and have to shower the rest of the time. JP prefers to shower, but I almost always take a bath to get clean and I know this is wasteful of hot water. We have also turned the hot water right down so that the shower is at the right temperature without having to turn on the cold water too. That should save a bit of money. It's too cold for a bath though, so on bath night, I'll have to turn the hot water back up. It also means we're washing our dishes in cooler water, but most washing up liquid is antibacterial so I don't think the water needs to be scalding anyway. Hopefully this will save a few pennies at least.

It's been slightly warmer this week actually, so we've been able to keep the heating off most of the time. We do need to wrap up because it's 16 degrees in here, but 16 is nothing compared to the temperatures of last week, so we're saving money while we have the option.

I probably mentioned this all ready, but in addition to my dressing gown, I also wear lovely fleecy pajamas that I got cheap from Primark. Primark's adult night clothes are a bit too big for me, which means I can wear them over clothes or other PJs. This is soo snuggly and I definitely recommend it. I've got two pairs and I have thick fluffy socks and two pairs of slippers in matching colours. I like to be stylish AND cosy! ^^

Yeah saving on energy does lead to finding alternative ways of keeping warm! Or perhaps keeping warm in other ways has the added benefit of saving money. For me it's the former haha.

I also limit myself to one bath a week...two if there's something special or I'm sick (I swear it helps clear my sinuses!) I also plug the shower drain when I shower...just a tip! it helps you see how much water you use. I turn off the shower when I'm shampooing my hair and shaving my legs. Otherwise I can use as much water as when I have a bath!

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
              Yeah saving on energy does lead to finding alternative ways of keeping warm! Or perhaps keeping warm in other ways has the added benefit of saving money. For me it's the former haha.

I also limit myself to one bath a week...two if there's something special or I'm sick (I swear it helps clear my sinuses!) I also plug the shower drain when I shower...just a tip! it helps you see how much water you use. I turn off the shower when I'm shampooing my hair and shaving my legs. Otherwise I can use as much water as when I have a bath!
              That's a very good tip! I try to be in and out as fast as I can, but I admit I keep the shower running while I shampoo my hair!
              夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Just had a letter from the gas and electricity provider. They are putting their prices up.
                www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
                  Just had a letter from the gas and electricity provider. They are putting their prices up.
                  That sucks. My heat has actually gone down this year - substantially.
                  Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                    That sucks. My heat has actually gone down this year - substantially.
                    Thanks.... in a way I understand we're in a catch-22 situation here. If the price goes up, we use less to save money. Then the firm's profits go down so they put the price up some more!
                    www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

I have an agreement with my landlords, where we pay a solid $200 a month for utilities/heating. In the summer, he makes money. In the winter, we save money. And it balances itself out for the rest of the year.

Mostly art.

Comment

Thanks.... in a way I understand we're in a catch-22 situation here. If the price goes up, we use less to save money. Then the firm's profits go down so they put the price up some more!
                        I think this is an essential problem with privatized electric and heat services. They need to make profits. If they're a government corp, profits aren't really the #1 concern.

Comment

We got ours last week. All companies are doing it because they're scared by government promises to ensure all households are put on the cheapest tariff by fuel companies, because so many homes were paying more than they needed to due to confusing tariffs. I wish the government had just banned companies from increasing prices. If they find they were price fixing, as it appears they were, goodness knows what will happen to prices.

Comment

Just popping by to see how everyone has been coping with the cold lately? I know I've mentioned it before, but honestly, the futon in the living room idea is saving us a small fortune. It used to be a 'treat night' thing. When we were both off work, we'd bring the futon through and laze around eating junk food and drinking beer. We had noticed that we needed to keep turning the heating down, or even off, when we did this, and we turned the radiators off in the front bedroom too.

I was off work all last week and it has been a particularly cold week with a few splatterings of snow. However, we were in the futon in the livingroom all week, and spent less than half of what we were spending on our gas. As I write this, it is 12 degrees in here and I am wearing my fleecy primark PJ's and have a hot water bottle on my lap. I'm perfectly warm and the heating is switched fully off.

We're getting a bed soon, so eventually hope to let go of this tatty old thing, but we have agreed that when we replace the sofa, we will get a sofa bed. We'll be keeping the futon until then of course. I'll be really sad to see it go. But I've outgrown it really. I got it at a time when I slept in a room just under 5 meters squared. My room here when it was Michelle's flat, was similarly small. Having a bed that folded up so I had room to do yoga, or a cosy sofa lounge on, was a good idea. Now we have lots of space, well, comparatively, so it's bye bye student lifestyle...

Anyway, it's great. If you can get a sofa bed, or move your mattress into your livingroom, even just when it drops below 0, I recommend it. It's roughing it a bit, but saves money. Maybe even enough to buy a bed!

Comment

It's just heading into cooler weather here in sub-tropical Queensland, Australia. I remember reading an article that proposed wearing socks to bed and nothing else helps maintain body temperature. Well, I gave it a go and it worked really well. If I sleep this way, I don't make a mess of the bed throwing blankets on and off all night and I sleep through the 3-4am temperature drop. I think you could do this in summer or mild winter nights. Not sure how you'd be in very cold places, though.

Comment

Sounds odd, but don't take really hot showers, you'll cool down faster when you get out, just a couple of degrees about room temperature (if you're fancy and have the choice, I have to jut guess). Also a hot water bottle when you go to bed, if you get too hot, you can just shove it to the bottom of the bed to keep your feet warm.
                                "Otwarty świat; rany zamknięte."
                                - Open world; Wounds closed.

Comment

Working...
                                X