This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tips for keeping warm

The rice packs are awesome. Small ones that can fit in a coat pocket are good when you go outside. Or put in a sweater or hoodie pocket inside. Big ones to put in the bed, or in your lap or under your feet at the computer.

The oven is lovely when the weather gets cold, but even a crock pot cooking all day adds some heat to the kitchen. When it gets really cold and dry I try to keep a kettle of water on very low heat on the stove to add heat and moisture.

Candles, in glass chimneys or jars, also add some heat. Learned this one time when ice took down the power lines. I set out a metal tray with about a dozen candles on it and got both light and heat.

Getting up and moving around warms me up, but I have fibromyalgia and when I get cold I find it very hard to get moving.

I hate wearing hats so I wear my hoodie in the house when it's really cold. I love fuzzy socks but need something more substantial between my feet and floor since we ripped out the carpet and replaced it with vinyl flooring, so I wear slippers with thick foam soles or a pair of crocs that are big enough to wear with socks.
    ------------------------

Of course I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.
    - robert anton wilson -

Comment

I've been wanting a pair of house-shoes, lunacie...I hadn't thought of Crocs! Those would probably help with the support issues I'm giving myself by walking around barefoot all the time, unlike regular slippers.
      Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

[quote author=Deseret link=topic=369.msg18823#msg18823 date=1291164486]
        Hehehe....I take it that it worked?
        [/quote]

Really well!

I did make a wheat bag wayyyy back, but hadn't done it in a while. It smells like bread when you heat it up too!

I guess I'll have to store them in a ziploc so the bugs don't get in them, but I have some of those XL ones. I'm also considering getting my apartment fumigated because the problem just isn't going away and carpet beetle larvae eat silk, wool, cashmere and cotton (aka 90% of my nicer clothes).

Comment

I know some people sneer at crocs, but they are some of the most comfortable shoes I've ever worn - because of the shape of my foot, wide and short.
          ------------------------

- robert anton wilson -

Comment

[quote author=Lunacie link=topic=369.msg18961#msg18961 date=1291211734]
            I know some people sneer at crocs, but they are some of the most comfortable shoes I've ever worn - because of the shape of my foot, wide and short.
            [/quote]

That describes my feet too. Definitely what I'm getting!
            Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

I've got no problem staying warm this afternoon...damn hot flashes!!! :
              I've got the house temp set at 17 and I am roasting....ugg
              What you see depends on what you are looking for.

Comment

[quote author=Celest link=topic=369.msg19046#msg19046 date=1291232708]
                I've got no problem staying warm this afternoon...damn hot flashes!!! :
                I've got the house temp set at 17 and I am roasting....ugg
                [/quote]

It was very strange when I was having hot flashes, I didn't seem to have them in the winter when they would have been more welcome.
                ------------------------

- robert anton wilson -

Comment

Re: Winterizing Your Home

[quote author=ChainLightning link=topic=753.msg15040#msg15040 date=1290212525]
                  Some additional, extra insulation tips that we had to do on the farm?

Hair dryer/shrink plastic crap on the inside of windows, adds an extra pocket of air for insulating against the cold. A couple years, up there, we also added another layer of clear plastic, stapled to the outside trim of the windows. Since the home didn't have storm windows to close.[/quote]
                  Half the houses around here have plastic on their windows either inside or outside ... Some have both ... Shutters are used for winterizing the summer homes ...

Another tip that I've seen, pretty often, is instead of trucking the leaf bags down to the compost heap, line them up against the foundation of the home for some inexpensive extra insulation.
                  [/quote]
                  Also the process of composting generates heat ...
                  I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

Hair dryer/shrink plastic crap on the inside of windows, adds an extra pocket of air for insulating against the cold. .
                    [/quote]

This! I need to get a door draft for the front door. It has the original heavy door on it but its a little drafty on the bottom. Luckly we have a stone house so its pretty insulated so we just got some of that window shrink wrap on the insides so it doesnt look ghetto yet still serves its purpose

Comment

I discovered this topic three months too late lol. I asked my parents what I need to do to prepare for winter, they said new filter for the heater and get it inspected. Other than that no advice... geeeez :P
                      sigpic

Comment

[quote author=Amber link=topic=753.msg25859#msg25859 date=1293748557]
                        This! I need to get a door draft for the front door. It has the original heavy door on it but its a little drafty on the bottom. Luckly we have a stone house so its pretty insulated so we just got some of that window shrink wrap on the insides so it doesnt look ghetto yet still serves its purpose
                        [/quote]Sometimes you can find a sorta broom-like thing that goes along the bottom of the door Sometimes it is a rubber flap ... Sometimes you can replace,raise or modify the threshold ...

Always better with pics ... 8)
                        I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

DIY Insulated Curtains from old comforter
                          Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                          sigpic

Comment

[quote author=thalassa link=topic=753.msg29232#msg29232 date=1295232527]
                            DIY Insulated Curtains from old comforter
                            [/quote]Or well used sleeping bag ...

Comment

[quote author=magusjinx link=topic=753.msg29251#msg29251 date=1295240162]
                              Or well used sleeping bag ...
                              [/quote]

...yeah, but I'm a girl...comforters are usually cuter.
                              Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                              sigpic

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X