This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tips for keeping warm

My neighbours are home, so it's warmer now without needing so much heat!

Comment

Drink tea

Really cold over here atm. Lots of snow too. Brrr!

Comment

It's supposed to rain on the weekend...booooo! It'll be warmer, but rain and slush always feels colder than cold and snow.

Comment

It's so cold here today that I can no longer function. I think I should signal the Mothership to come and get me.....
          www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

We pay about $275 a month for electric year round. The bill is averaged for 12 months. When it gets cold I use the woodstove, but we have an inground pool that the pumps run all summer so that keeps the bill high.

Comment

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
              It's so cold here today that I can no longer function. I think I should signal the Mothership to come and get me.....
              I wanna send you better gloves!... thats terrible that it is too cold to function in your own home!
              http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
              ~Jim Butcher

Comment

We had £15 on our heating on Sunday, it is now Thursday and already ran out. We only have the heating on for 6 hours a day and this is a tiny 2 bedroom flat. I can totally see why someone like Tylluan, living in a house, would struggle to afford heating costs. We've been told we're due another fuel hike in the new year and its really not long since the last time our bills went up. The fuel companies say its to meet the rising cost of producing energy, but yet their annual profits are still going up. Not slightly reduced, or remaining the same, as you'd expect if production costs were rising, but actually increasing. They are a massive part of the increased poverty and steep reduction in quality of life in this country. Our flat is currently at 13 degrees. Daybreak said this morning, that more and more people now have to choose between eating or heating, as food prices have also shot up (how can farms and factories cover overheads when the fuel needed to produce the food is so expensive?). These companies are evil. Pure evil. They must know what they are doing to people. The government has threatened to start legislating against the pricing of fuel, so they're taking the piss while they still can.
                夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

I cannot imagine what the temperature is here today.... but it's very cold. We manage the heating on for about two hours a day, sometimes a little more, but I do use an electric blanket on a low setting at night. We use very old (victorian) quilts which are incredibly warm too! The fault - as Jembru says - is largely due to the unmitigated greed of the energy companies. Prices only go up - rarely down, even when costs reduce. And that really makes me want to spit!

Comment

I know it is trivial, but are you using a hot water bottle? We are currently sitting with the duvett over us and I made a hot water bottle. I am really rather cosy now and the thermometer says it is 16 degrees in here, which is usually uncomfortably cold. I'm sure you already do this, but couldn't help suggesting it as it really helps me so much!
                    夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

I need to buy a hot water bottle! At the moment its about -2 here, if my housemates didnt have a baby i would suggest turning the heating off and just wrapping up with hot water bottles etc because the energy bills are so expensive! It's one reason im in the process of making a draught excluder for the front and back doors, so we can maybe turn the heating down or off a little while.

Comment

Oh another thing. I always wear a hat indoors during the winter. Mind you, in my teen years, I always wore a hat or a bandanna indoors or out, no matter what time of year it was. I have some cool hats, some of which I never, or rarely wear outdoors. House hats, I guess!!

Comment

You know, I've never (no matter where I lived) had issues with heating/how much it costs.

Why's it so bad in the UK? Do you lot all have those little coin-operated heaters I've seen in some older buildings? Or floor radiators, or what?

We have central heating, and yeah, it can cost $200 a month sometimes in the winter, but...I dunno, it's seen as normal, or 'the price you pay' or something.

Mostly art.

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
                            You know, I've never (no matter where I lived) had issues with heating/how much it costs.

Why's it so bad in the UK? Do you lot all have those little coin-operated heaters I've seen in some older buildings? Or floor radiators, or what?

We have central heating, and yeah, it can cost $200 a month sometimes in the winter, but...I dunno, it's seen as normal, or 'the price you pay' or something.
                            could see some form of compensatory action. Who knows though. These are wealthy and powerful organizations, but then so are the banks and look what has happened to British banking.

Comment

I do wear a hat indoors! Yay! And fingerless gloves..... but I have to admit I have a horror of hot water bottles since I was badly scalded by one when I was a child (and still have the scars!) I tend to stick with wool whenever possible, and wrap up warm, but at the temperatures this week, I don't think anything is touching it!

Oh - and I drink lots of hot tea!

Comment

Shale gas!! That's why North Americans pay so much less for energy. Was just on TV because there's a big debate at the moment about fracking being allowed in the UK. They asked, 'would it reduce our gas bills?' Then said, 'it has in the US, but they have nearly 30 times as mich shale gas as we have.' (I rewinded the news to give an accurate quote, how's that for dedication?).

Comment

Working...
                                X