Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast

Thread: Tips for keeping warm

lady sings the blues DanieMarie's Avatar
    Oct 2009
    Religion
    Solitary Pagan

Re: Tips for keeping warm

Quote Originally Posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
    Thanks.... in a way I understand we're in a catch-22 situation here. If the price goes up, we use less to save money. Then the firm's profits go down so they put the price up some more!
    I think this is an essential problem with privatized electric and heat services. They need to make profits. If they're a government corp, profits aren't really the #1 concern.

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Shamanist Witch with heady Celtic notes and a faint wiccan bouquet

Quote Originally Posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
    Just had a letter from the gas and electricity provider. They are putting their prices up.
    We got ours last week. All companies are doing it because they're scared by government promises to ensure all households are put on the cheapest tariff by fuel companies, because so many homes were paying more than they needed to due to confusing tariffs. I wish the government had just banned companies from increasing prices. If they find they were price fixing, as it appears they were, goodness knows what will happen to prices.
    夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Oct 2010
    Religion

Just popping by to see how everyone has been coping with the cold lately? I know I've mentioned it before, but honestly, the futon in the living room idea is saving us a small fortune. It used to be a 'treat night' thing. When we were both off work, we'd bring the futon through and laze around eating junk food and drinking beer. We had noticed that we needed to keep turning the heating down, or even off, when we did this, and we turned the radiators off in the front bedroom too.

I was off work all last week and it has been a particularly cold week with a few splatterings of snow. However, we were in the futon in the livingroom all week, and spent less than half of what we were spending on our gas. As I write this, it is 12 degrees in here and I am wearing my fleecy primark PJ's and have a hot water bottle on my lap. I'm perfectly warm and the heating is switched fully off.

We're getting a bed soon, so eventually hope to let go of this tatty old thing, but we have agreed that when we replace the sofa, we will get a sofa bed. We'll be keeping the futon until then of course. I'll be really sad to see it go. But I've outgrown it really. I got it at a time when I slept in a room just under 5 meters squared. My room here when it was Michelle's flat, was similarly small. Having a bed that folded up so I had room to do yoga, or a cosy sofa lounge on, was a good idea. Now we have lots of space, well, comparatively, so it's bye bye student lifestyle...

Anyway, it's great. If you can get a sofa bed, or move your mattress into your livingroom, even just when it drops below 0, I recommend it. It's roughing it a bit, but saves money. Maybe even enough to buy a bed!
    夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

May 2012
    Religion
    Optimistic Agnostic
    Phrase
    Suspend Judgement

It's just heading into cooler weather here in sub-tropical Queensland, Australia. I remember reading an article that proposed wearing socks to bed and nothing else helps maintain body temperature. Well, I gave it a go and it worked really well. If I sleep this way, I don't make a mess of the bed throwing blankets on and off all night and I sleep through the 3-4am temperature drop. I think you could do this in summer or mild winter nights. Not sure how you'd be in very cold places, though.

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Celtic Pagan
    Phrase
    That was fun. Lets never do that again.

Sounds odd, but don't take really hot showers, you'll cool down faster when you get out, just a couple of degrees about room temperature (if you're fancy and have the choice, I have to jut guess). Also a hot water bottle when you go to bed, if you get too hot, you can just shove it to the bottom of the bed to keep your feet warm.
    "Otwarty świat; rany zamknięte."
    - Open world; Wounds closed.

Oct 2010
    Religion

Ah, I couldn't be without my hot water bottle! We've really managed to keep our costs down this year. Haha take that energy companies 凸(^o^)

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Militant Atheist. The Satanic Temple.

I have learned to climb into bed with a very large, hairy man that closely resembles a bear in order to keep warm.
    No one tells the wind which way to blow.

Oct 2010
    Religion

Quote Originally Posted by Bjorn View Post
    I have learned to climb into bed with a very large, hairy man that closely resembles a bear in order to keep warm.
    I would, but I think JP would complain.. well, unless it's Simon from Yogcast.. I think he has a little man crush..

Jul 2013
    Religion
    Kemetic reconstructionist, I guess... Solitary. devotee of Djehuty and Bast
    Phrase
    Rawr

Try to concentrate on the heat your body makes, and stay focused on this heat.

Aug 2013
    Religion
    Pagan

Oh let's see. I found a handy dandy thing this last year. They're hot packs from Sam's Club. I can't remember the name of them but they have a little metal disc that you pop and they heat up. They're not just good for keeping warm, but also good for using as a heating pad. To get them back to "normal" you boil them and then you can use THAT warmth to keep warm. They have foot and hand shaped ones too. They have a lifetime guarantee too.

- - - Updated - - -

That does nothing for poor circulation.

Quote Originally Posted by Gleb View Post
    Try to concentrate on the heat your body makes, and stay focused on this heat.