Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Tips for keeping warm

Oct 2009
    Religion
    Witchy Pagan

Re: Tips for keeping warm

I've got no problem staying warm this afternoon...damn hot flashes!!! :
    I've got the house temp set at 17 and I am roasting....ugg
    What you see depends on what you are looking for.

Nov 2010

Re: Tips for keeping warm

[quote author=Celest link=topic=369.msg19046#msg19046 date=1291232708]
    I've got no problem staying warm this afternoon...damn hot flashes!!! :
    I've got the house temp set at 17 and I am roasting....ugg
    [/quote]

It was very strange when I was having hot flashes, I didn't seem to have them in the winter when they would have been more welcome.
    ------------------------

Of course I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.
    - robert anton wilson -

Oct 2004
    Religion
    olde pharte

Re: Winterizing Your Home

[quote author=ChainLightning link=topic=753.msg15040#msg15040 date=1290212525]
    Some additional, extra insulation tips that we had to do on the farm?

Hair dryer/shrink plastic crap on the inside of windows, adds an extra pocket of air for insulating against the cold. A couple years, up there, we also added another layer of clear plastic, stapled to the outside trim of the windows. Since the home didn't have storm windows to close.[/quote]
    Half the houses around here have plastic on their windows either inside or outside ... Some have both ... Shutters are used for winterizing the summer homes ...

Another tip that I've seen, pretty often, is instead of trucking the leaf bags down to the compost heap, line them up against the foundation of the home for some inexpensive extra insulation.
    [/quote]
    Also the process of composting generates heat ...
    I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Eclectic Wiccan High Priestess

Hair dryer/shrink plastic crap on the inside of windows, adds an extra pocket of air for insulating against the cold. .
    [/quote]

This! I need to get a door draft for the front door. It has the original heavy door on it but its a little drafty on the bottom. Luckly we have a stone house so its pretty insulated so we just got some of that window shrink wrap on the insides so it doesnt look ghetto yet still serves its purpose

Oct 2009
    Religion
    ~Eclectic Pagan~
    Phrase
    "Whether you think you can or think you can't, either way you are right." -Henry Ford

I discovered this topic three months too late lol. I asked my parents what I need to do to prepare for winter, they said new filter for the heater and get it inspected. Other than that no advice... geeeez :P
    http://www.paganforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=87&dateline=133754480  9

Oct 2004
    Religion
    olde pharte

[quote author=Amber link=topic=753.msg25859#msg25859 date=1293748557]
    This! I need to get a door draft for the front door. It has the original heavy door on it but its a little drafty on the bottom. Luckly we have a stone house so its pretty insulated so we just got some of that window shrink wrap on the insides so it doesnt look ghetto yet still serves its purpose
    [/quote]Sometimes you can find a sorta broom-like thing that goes along the bottom of the door Sometimes it is a rubber flap ... Sometimes you can replace,raise or modify the threshold ...

Always better with pics ... 8)
    I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

“You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

Oct 2004
    Religion
    olde pharte

[quote author=thalassa link=topic=753.msg29232#msg29232 date=1295232527]
    DIY Insulated Curtains from old comforter
    [/quote]Or well used sleeping bag ...

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

[quote author=magusjinx link=topic=753.msg29251#msg29251 date=1295240162]
    Or well used sleeping bag ...
    [/quote]

...yeah, but I'm a girl...comforters are usually cuter.
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

Oct 2004
    Religion
    olde pharte