This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello, Spiritual/Openminded Individual With Pagan Curiosity

Hello my name is Steven and I am a 19 year old Chicagoan. Since I was around 14 years old I have curiously explored different religions. I was raised Catholic, but found going to church was inconvenient and simply not fun. :/ I explored an all American "Christian Youth Group" and that was a nightmare. Being a young gay man, it was, "Hate the sin, love the sinner." (That one made me cringe). I then was introduced to non denominational Christianity and quickly got a lot of anti-gay backlash. . which was the point in my life where I stopped getting involved with Christianity and organized religion. I doubt I would have stayed with any of these churches or beliefs for long had I not been gay, because I never believed in Jesus no matter how hard I tried or wanted. At the time it was what I thought I needed, because I was convinced it was necessary to adhere to a monotheistic belief system to experience joy and contentment.

Anyways, as I got older I dabbled with Buddhism, because of a then boyfriend. I really admired the attention to mental well being and calmness-- but it still wasn't for me. It felt forced. Soon after, I started developing appreciation for many things people take for granted.. The beauty of the sky, the trees, the bodies of water. I saw (and still do see God(s) in nature. I can look up in the sky for hours and be mesmerized. But maybe that's as far as my faith goes, being in awe at what's already seen. Just recently I began hearing the word Pagan and Wicca and it has grabbed my attention. I don't want a how-to become a Pagan, but I want to learn a lot more and see if some Pagan or Wicca beliefs or practices can be integrated into my everyday life and help me achieve something greater than myself-- perhaps: mental clarity, relaxation, inspiration, meditative-focus?

Can I get some advice on where to start? Not looking to purchase anything..

articles, websites, or any personal words of advice from you is awesome and would be highly appreciated. Thank You.

Comment

Re: hellllo...helllooo...helllllooooooo x

Hello welcome. I just joined PF early this morning-- this is my first time ever using a forum.

Comment

Re: Howdy from everyone's favorite sexy Texas Heathen

Originally posted by Eisheth View Post
        It's good to see you hanging out again.
        $hi+! I didn't realize I'd posted that picture... dammit, I guess what happens on PF stays on YouTube!
        "Don't ever miss a good opportunity to shut up." - Harvey Davis "Gramps"

Comment

Re: hellllo...helllooo...helllllooooooo x

Hello and welcome!
          http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
          ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Re: It's alive!

Hello and welcome! and I don't see any reason to have to call yourself something that you don't really want to call yourself! so enjoy your stay here!

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
            ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Re: Hello, Spiritual/Openminded Individual With Pagan Curiosity

Hello and welcome! It is good that your are not looking for a how-to on becoming a pagan because I don't know that any 2 here would agree on what that entails. Be who you are and that is really all that matters! There are quite a few people hanging around who see the world much like you do, with the awe and the possible godliness and deity within nature, and dont take it any farther than that. I think that part of the biggest magic trick is becoming comfortable in your own skin and with your own personal spirituality, not adhering to someone elses.

~Jim Butcher

Comment

Re: It's alive!

Hello Terry. *new member here. Las Vegas seems like a fabulous city to visit. Even my hometown Chicago is testing at times, which is why I like to escape to eco-villages in North Carolina from time to time. .

Comment

Re: Hello, Spiritual/Openminded Individual With Pagan Curiosity

Thank you! That is truly great advice!

Comment

curious newcomer

hello. I'm Jade. I'm curious about general paganism and thought this was a good place for me to start finding out about it. I dabbled in some witchcraft and crystal cleansing a few years back but lost any connection to faith after that. now I'm trying to refind my former belief. I think having faith would help me with the healing process I'm undergoing for my mental disability. I like the Greek Pantheon and have always loved polytheism.
                    so anyway! just wanted to say hi

Comment

Re: curious newcomer

Welcome to our family Jade. I hope you learn a lot and enjoy it here
                      Circe

Comment

I'm new to this site, and to Paganism.

I've been a Christian for most of my life, and turned Agnostic, and finally, Pagan. I'm not practicing yet though, I really need to find a group in my area and also a store to buy supplies and I admit I still know very little about Paganism but Wicca got me interested in Paganism (although I'm not exactly Wiccan, still trying to find the right belief system for me).

I feel a strong connection to Ireland, and also to faeries (which probably explains my connection to Ireland). I've never seen a faerie in my whole life, although I think I've seen signs that they do exist and possibly even been visited by faeries in my dreams.

I'm also a gamer, although I've been taking a break, but I'm waiting for Legend of Edda to come out and I also might start playing League of Legends again.

Not much more to know about me, and I'll lurk and post from time to time.
                        What one believes in is infinitely more important than WHO they believe in.

Comment

Re: I'm new to this site, and to Paganism.

Welcome aboard.

The only thing you need to practice is your body, the heart to try, and the will to make it happen. You can check out my "ghetto altar" thread that talks a bit about that. My first bit of advice would be to read what you can on it. I'd suggest Wicca: Guide for the Solitary Practitioner and Spiral Dance. Spiral Dance has some overt feminist overtones but a man can read it well, too. And you don't have to be Wiccan to use the information in those books, it just happens to lean that way.

Fairies are tricky. They'll throw sound and distract and disorient you, so they're really hard to find. There is magic, or journeys that you can do to find them, though.

Also, a gamer! Awesome, me, too.

Have fun. Learn. And be well.

And good luck.

Comment

Re: curious newcomer

Hi alternatingSelves!

Comment

Re: I'm new to this site, and to Paganism.

Nice to meet you. Faerie are not only native to Ireland you should know. They're nature spirits capable of being found in most places.
                              You don't necessarily need a group to be practicing pagan either. Many of us are solitary and prefer to have our own systems of belief rather than join or adhere to another group. However it is your choice
                              Circe

Comment

Re: Howdy from everyone's favorite sexy Texas Heathen

Originally posted by ThorsSon View Post
                                $hi+! I didn't realize I'd posted that picture... dammit, I guess what happens on PF stays on YouTube!
                                Tumblr is where it's at now. :P
                                �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
                                ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
                                Sneak Attack
                                Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Working...
                                X