DIY toothpaste

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY toothpaste

I know we had the brief DIY deodorant chat, does anyone do alternative toothpaste?

I found this: http://tammysrecipes.com/homemade_toothpaste

and, for anyone interesting in escaping disposable plastics...bamboo toothbrushes
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Re: DIY toothpaste

When I was young I always used salt for cleaning my teeth. Very effective provided I didn't swallow it and rinsed my mouth out properly.
    www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

I occasionally make my own toothpaste. I use baking soda, salt, and bentonite clay. I'm thinking of the next time I make my own toothpaste to also make tea bags full of myrrh, chamomile, and cloves to steep in water and mix with the salts and clay.
      my etsy store
      My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
      surrounded by plush, downy things,
      ill prepared, but willing,
      to descend."

Comment

I just wet my toothbrush and dip it in baking soda. I wouldn't recommend salt because its crystals are rather jagged and could wear away enamel, whereas bicarbonate crystals are rounded and more gentle.

There is one problem with natural dentifrices, however - where do you get your fluoride? All I can think to do is take some of my roommates' toothpaste and hold it in my mouth for a few minutes. Fluoridated mouthwash would be easier, though.
        Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
        -Erik Erikson

Comment

See, I heard it was baking soda that wore away the enamel and as long as enough water was in the solution it was fine. As for fluoride it depends on your school of thought. Many who make their own toothpaste are actually wary of fluoride for various reasons. Also, if you don't filter your water (i.e. let the water company filter it for you), you have fluoridated water already in the US.
          my etsy store
          My blog

to descend."

Comment

this is the blog I originally read that made me think about it...

...it has an interesting array of possibilities
            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
            sigpic

Comment

You know, my mom has a hobby of soapmaking. I wonder if she would be interested in making a soap for toothbrushing...
              my etsy store
              My blog

to descend."

Comment

Originally posted by Caelia View Post
                You know, my mom has a hobby of soapmaking. I wonder if she would be interested in making a soap for toothbrushing...
                I actually tried this out. Its not bad...though I am sure it depends which soap you are using. Luckily, I was in the middle of my experiment of buying only products made in the USA the week before last, and bought a bar of Burt's Bees mandarin orange, and its not that "soapy" tasting. And my teeth are amazingly clean in a way that maintains itself that just doesn't happen as well with conventional toothpaste.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                  I actually tried this out. Its not bad...though I am sure it depends which soap you are using. Luckily, I was in the middle of my experiment of buying only products made in the USA the week before last, and bought a bar of Burt's Bees mandarin orange, and its not that "soapy" tasting. And my teeth are amazingly clean in a way that maintains itself that just doesn't happen as well with conventional toothpaste.
                  That would be the biggest challenge. Most of her soapmaking has some sort of lye in it, so it would be difficult to find something that would be ok.
                  my etsy store
                  My blog

to descend."

Comment

Lye soap isn't safe for toothbrushing, but some forms of Castile Soap are. There are recipes for making it online...and it's olive oil based.
                    Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

I really liked this post. I was just at the health food store the other day thinking of picking up some more natural tooth paste. Now the next time I'm there, I will be picking up some ingredients for this homemade recipe. As for the toothbrushes, the health food store was also selling eco-friendly toothbrushes. I'll have to look into them a bit more. I've been on an environment friendly and anti-chemical kick lately. So thanks for posting this!

Comment

Thanks for bumping this Gypsy, I'd forgotten about it.

A bit of an update, for me at least--I've used baking soda for the past two months. It takes a bit to get used to the taste, but I have no issues with plaque buildup anymore, and I always have.

I just wet my toothbrush and touch it gently to baking soda inside the little bag I keep in the bathroom.
                        Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

That's awesome you are getting good results. I wonder if I can talk my man into trying this. He has plaque buildup issues and none of the regular toothpastes helped with it.

Comment

Does the backing soda also help whiten the teeth? I saw a video about using hydrogen peroxide? Let me see if I can find it...

In answer to the question of why it happened, I offer the modest proposal that our Universe is simply one of those things which happen from time to time. ~~ Edward P. Tryon

Comment

I rinse with hydrogen peroxide and water. I'm not a fan of brushing with baking soda, its too physically irritating for my gums (though, when I have, I've found that a couple drops of peppermint oil help). The soap worked really well for a while, and then it seems like your mouth bacteria become resistant or something, and the clean didn't last as long. So, now I'm back to conventional toothpaste in a (at least recyclable) plastic container.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X