What does meditation do for you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What does meditation do for you?

I was looking at this article - http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0628160734.htm

In short form, the article points out that, while there are studies indicating that meditation can help with various health problems, the studies were not conducted well enough to be able to draw any conclusions. It's not that they don't work, it's that from the scientific point of view, more research needs to be conducted before any real conclusions can be drawn.

So - it got me wondering...

What is it that you use meditation for, and, in your subjective opinion, does it work?
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Re: What does meditation do for you?

I meditate to relax, unwind, and get my mind more in tune with my body. I have found over the years that if I'm stressed and very tired (and limited with time I have to sleep) one hour of meditation is worth hours of sleep for me. Afterwords I feel relaxed as well as rested so I'd have to say it works for me.

I may try it from a medical stand point and see how that works, it can't hurt.
    Gargoyles watch over me...I can hear them snicker in the dark.

Pull the operating handle (which protrudes from the right side of the receiver) smartly to the rear and release it.

Comment

For me meditation focuses the mind. I usually do an anapana technique for focus and vipassina to help remove cravings and aversions that generally lead to suffering. Meditation is also the foundation of any energy work I do. From chakra clearing to quantum touch, creating a magickal object to weather calling it all begins with meditation for me.

The one notable physical benefit is feeling refreshed after meditation. The mental clarity is also very much welcome! hehe

Comment

Meditation is normally accompanied by prayer with me. When I meditate it is usually to connect with a God or Goddess, usually the Earth Mother. Even in my most anxious times, pouring a glass of milk into the ground and asking for her blessing provides calm that I, myself, could not have conjured.

Philosophical Meditation involves forming my mind to a river, where after a thought passes it just rides downstream where I cannot reach it again. Eventually I find the current that leads me to the answer of my question and I have an "Aha!" moment that snaps me back to reality. As Heroclitus said, "You cannot swim twice in the same river" so this meditation almost always leaves me feeling refreshed and renewed.

YMMV, of course..
        ADF Dedicant of .

"Good humor is a tonic for mind and body. It is the best antidote for anxiety and depression. It is a business asset. It attracts and keep friends. It lightens human burdens. It is the direct route to serenity and contentment." -Greenville Kleiser

Comment

Working...
        X