greek necromancey spell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

greek necromancey spell

I have heard of a spell used in greek necromancey. It has been said to call upon the powers of kore, persephone, ereshkigal, adonis, hermes, and thoth to help bind and coerce spirits of the dead. Does anyone know what this spell is or where i can find out how to preform it.

Re: greek necromancey spell

I personally have never heard of it, but that doesn't mean much. For all I know it does exist. Have you tried your hand at googlemancy?
    my etsy store
    My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
    surrounded by plush, downy things,
    ill prepared, but willing,
    to descend."

Comment

Try the Greek Magical Papyrii. There is a truncated version of the translation by Hans Dieter-Betz on Google Books. I don't think you're going to find Adonis in there though.
      www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

where did you hear of this spell? I went and looked up the gods spoken of above for more detail and i dont see how some of them would be entirely useful in the given situation. Also Kore is the same as Persephone according to wikipedia at least... ereshkigal was mesopotamian, and if you're looking for greek, why is Hades not mentioned? Hermes is a messenger.. and guide TO the underworld, so im not sure how useful he'd be in bringing peoples spirits back, moreso than helping them move on to the next life. and Thoth is associated with judgement and the greeks even saw him as the equivalent of Hermes. There are much better Egyptian Gods for the purposes stated above...

I'm not trying to bring ya down, I just think theres a possibility of misinformation, what is your source of your lead for this spell? that might be the best place to look for more information...
        "Sometimes bad things happen, and theres nothing you can do about it, so why worry?" ~ Timon

Comment

Necromancy to the ancient Greeks was a BIG no-no. Zeus destroyed Asklepios with a tunderbolt for restoring the dead to life. Also, I find it hard to believe that such a spell would not involve Hades.

Comment

Given the inclusion of near-eastern deities, I would expect the spell to be from the Hellenistic world, but maybe not Greece itself.
            If you want to be thought intelligent, just agree with everyone.

Comment

I don't know much about the spell your working in particular, but some of it makes a good deal of sense. The Greeks used and worshiped gods from all the cultures that they knew at the time. They had their biggies, but all others were still minor gods or had some representation in their pantheon.

My friend works with Greek Necromancy. (At least in working with the energy of the dead and various spirits). In some spells, Hermes replaces the need for Hades because instead of getting the spirit from the ground, Hermes can guide them out. At least in a symbolic sense. I'll admit that I'm not sure all of the relevance of the other deities/figures listed, but what exactly is the purpose of the spell. By what I'm reading into it, It seems like you're trying to gather a lot of spirits together for one big conversation.

Be sure you know what you're doing. This sort of thing isn't something to be played around with (not that I'm saying you are). Just be careful. This sort of work, if it's what I mentioned, could if not controlled properly have some hard effects on you and the entire area of the spell.

Comment

Originally posted by Catdemon-Ninja View Post
                Necromancy to the ancient Greeks was a BIG no-no. Zeus destroyed Asklepios with a tunderbolt for restoring the dead to life. Also, I find it hard to believe that such a spell would not involve Hades.
                There is a lot of evidence that ghosts and spirits of the dead were used as magical intermediaries, which is often what is meant by necromancy. There is also some evidence for it being used in ancient Rome in Lucian's satirical work Menippus. I suppose really we need to set out guidelines for what we mean by ancient...
                www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Zeus blasted Asklepios but Orpheus came within a hair length of leaving Hades with his wife. He lost his cool a second or two too early or she'd have completed the trip out of the underworld. Granted that's a unique case but so is a physician that can pull of resurrections.

I would probably involve Hades, meddling around in his realm without being polite enough to mention the issue to him seems like a way to potentially irritate him and I prefer not to piss off deities by accident. It's one thing if I'm looking to be an ass but annoying a deity through carelessness just doesn't seem entertaining.
                  Last edited by MaskedOne; 25 Jan 2012, 06:27.
                  life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

-Resident sorta-amateur necromancer-
                    I've never heard of a spell involving that many deities when dealing with the dead. That's big magic to call all those gods, you just don't need that much power to call a spirit over. As my practice is a different branch I can't claim to be an expert on Greek necromancy, but I do think I'm relatively knowledgeable about death magic in general and can give my opinion at least.

While several of the deities listed *could* be used the most commonly called deities are Hecate or Hades &/or Persephone and sometimes using Hermes, Anubis and Wepwawet to sorta open the way or guide spirits. People sometimes use others but from what I've read seems those are the most common, assuming a deity is called which isn't always. Ancient Greek necromancy involved ritual over a pit dug into the earth, the general thought being that the underworld was underground and the pit would be a symbol of this. Offerings of herbs, incense, fruits, meat or blood were sometimes given to the deity and/or spirits that were being invoked. My opinion is this spell is misinformed and possibly a bit dangerous.
                    Circe

Comment

Working...
                    X