This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your Altar/Shrine

I know there's a stickied thread for altars already, but it's mainly pictures and I want to go a little more in-depth.

What I'm interesting in is what you have on your altar and why. You can write out a description or post pictures, but what I want to hear is why the items you chose are there.

My altar is a portable one, mainly because I'm working a temporary job with shared housing so it's all I can fit. It's sitting on a shelf in my walk-in closet; the altar cloth is temporary, a blue-and-red bandanna that actually works pretty nicely.

On this cloth sits:

- My deity symbol, a small metal cross studded with crystals (for God/Jesus)
    - Rosary beads I made myself
    - My medicine cards; I use them often so it's nice to have them within reach
    - My lucky "bamboo" plants
    - A tea light candle to represent Fire, sitting on a wood circle I painted with a pentagram
    - A flight feather from a Great Horned Owl, given to me by a coworker, to represent Air
    - A seashell from Sapelo Island, GA, to represent Water
    - Limestone covered in iron pyrite I found at work, to represent Earth
    - A piece of bismuth and some polished green calcite
    - My wand, which I carved myself from a sycamore branch and soldered with runes and my inner totem (Weasel)

My actual altar at home is bigger and much more elaborate- a lot more feathers and gifts from nature. I've always been very Earth-oriented, particularly with animals, and it reflects in my altar (I can give a description of what it normally holds if anyone really wants to hear xD).

What about you? Why do you have the things that you do? What made you choose them?

Re: Your Altar/Shrine

Be careful, StormCat -

If you are in the U.S., owl feathers are illegal to own or possess due to the Migratory Bird Act - even if they are picked up off the ground.

Personally, if it were me, I'd keep the feathers (the likelyhood that you will get busted and fined is very low). The spirit of the law is for the protection of the birds, and so if you have a feather which was picked up from a dead bird or off the ground, you are not breaking he spirit of the law, although you are breaking he letter of the law - and that's all a judge would care about.

So - you might want to be just a bit careful.

(I only know this because I by and sell animal parts)

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...9090058AA0k0LX
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

I know, don't worry. xD I'm a biologist, and on top of that I use them for religious purposes, so I actually already have a license. xP Thanks for the warning though!

Comment

Originally posted by Storm Cat View Post
        I know, don't worry. xD I'm a biologist, and on top of that I use them for religious purposes, so I actually already have a license. xP Thanks for the warning though!
        The only exception for religious purposes are for Native Americans in the US, and even then they still get hassled. Plus I'm not sure how well the biology card will fly when dealing with authorities.
        my etsy store
        My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
        surrounded by plush, downy things,
        ill prepared, but willing,
        to descend."

Comment

LOL - I just didn't want you getting in trouble for a law that most people don't even know exists.
          Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

LOL - I just didn't want you getting in trouble for a law that most people don't even know exists.
            Yeah, I understand. It definitely seems arbitrary when it comes down to feathers you pick up off of the ground, but considering how many small game hunters shoot raptors, the DNR has to be careful.

On that note- you got an altar you can describe? 8D

Comment

I have one I can describe!

My altar is huge, It takes up to counter tops (actually one's a computer desk and one's like a small cupboard thing with 3 shelves inside) the cupboard thing has all my crystals arranged in colour order (ish) because they correspond with each chakra and the colours go from base through to crown and then the 3 additional chakras come after the crown chakra. The altar cloth is an olive green to represent the earth and the olive green factor looks more natural than any other green that was there. There is also my oil burner, affirmation book (made from banana leaves) and my quote bible (the two books have been handwritten by me). Inside the cupboard are my spiritual books, shells, incense sticks and silk pouches.

On top of the computer desk there is no cloth, but my BoS is there, there's a glass scrying bowl in the center, my incense holder behind that and a small draw set full of crystal jewellery, this collectively keeps the energy of my room nice and balanced. On the keyboard shelf bit, there is a glass box with lots of crystals in it, these are kept here to protect their energies as there are the crystals that are used in my rituals and spells as well as healing purposes. Underneath that on the bottom shelf of the desk, there's a box of silver to attract wealth into my life (North/north east corner) there's my candles there too and a tray of rough cut and natural crystals. My altar is set in the window to attract the energy of the sun and the moon at all times of the day. I leave my blinds open on nights of the full moon to recharge and empower my crystals.
              "Otwarty świat; rany zamknięte."
              - Open world; Wounds closed.

Comment

On that note- you got an altar you can describe? 8D
                Well, unlike Amelia-Mary's (which sounds beautiful) and your own (which also sounds lovely), mine doesn't look very altar like. In my practice, work is sacred, so I have a workbench covered with hammers (14 at last count), files, and misc. suchlike stuff. There's also a drawing board.

Comment

My altar is typically Wiccan-ish, but not strictly nature-oriented. It is round and covered in three layers of black cloth, the topmost one being made of a lacy material with a rose pattern. There are two altar candles meant primarily to provide light which are usually black or white depending on the occasion (sometimes other colors for Sabbats) and Goddess and God symbols - Their default symbols are a small pile of stones for the Goddess, including three holey stones, and two pine cones and an antler for the God.

The four elemental weapons - wand, athame, chalice, and pentacle, which are wrapped in cloths of purple, red, blue, and green, respectively when not in use.

The four Elements themselves - an incense dish for Air, a shot glass full of salt for Fire (in my usual practice rock salt represents semen and therefore the male principal), and a small glass bowl of Water; my pentacle doubles as the elemental weapon and the Element of Earth itself, as it is made of wood.

Other religious tools kept on or near the altar include the Book of Shadows, a bottle of anointing oil, a small bell, the ritual broom, a censer (one is actually a mortar made of soapstone, the other is gilded and reserved for Sabbats), and the cauldron.

Beneath the altar I keep a box of matches, a candle snuffer, a Tupperware container for charcoal, and a ceramic mug for discarding used matches and other refuse.

Naturally other tools are added or replaced depending on the occasion and I have a tendency to keep Sabbat decorations on the altar between holidays. Right now, for instance, there are stalks of wheat, acorns, and pine cones left from Mabon.
                  Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
                  -Erik Erikson

Comment

I have several shrines - I assemble altars separately whenever I need them.

My Dionysos shrine has several depictions of him, including a bust, a framed painting, and a small statue. It has plastic ivy and grapes, as well as grapes that are painted gold. I keep an incense burner and special candle holder for the ritual candle, but I also have a separate offering candle that I burn if I don't happen to have a different physical offering, like wine or food, and there is a decorated offering plate and cup for those. I keep wine corks on the shrine from special occasions, like my first Anthesteria, my first Bacchanal, etc. I also have devotional jewelry that I keep there when I'm not wearing it.

Ganesha's shrine is more simple - I have a framed painting and small statue of him, a devotional candle, my mala and an incense burner. I like to keep his shrine simple.

Comment

I have three that line my walls - one in the corner, one on top of my bookcase, and one on the "bedside" (quotations because it ain't bed-side) table along the wall nearest to the bookcase one.

Sheesh. For a writer, that was a shoddy description. I tried to depict a photo of it here with spacing and such but it ruined it, so forget it.

On the circular table in the corner there is a lime green skirt that I can't figure out how to wrap so I tied it over the top and like it there. On there I have my dagger, penny flute, most sacred stone, owl bell, Father Bear fetish, ram fetish, owl fetish, feathers (hawk and chicken, I think), candle holder, and probably some other stuff I'm forgetting because there's a lot there. Lavender is sprinkled over top.

On the bookshelf is the LOVELIEST burgundy fabric with some gold stitching and fancy-pants patterns along it. I have Buddha in the exact center with a nice incense boat behind him, a vase full of incense sticks and feathers at one corner, a pie-shaped crystal at another, a candle in the opposite corner, and...something in the front corner. Man. I have GOT to pay more attention. This is the cleanest altar and the one where I burn things.

On the bedside table is a photo of myself with some little trinkets I have made or have been gifted to me that remind me to incorporate more spirituality in my life (apparently that's failing a bit). This has my potions, candles, and dry ingredients in it.
                      No one tells the wind which way to blow.

Comment

Mine is a simple table in the bedroom. I don't have a cloth anymore (an unfortunate candle accident coated it in wax and I never managed to get it all out) so everything just sits on the bare table top. I have a upright pentacle candle holder at the back, a pair of candles for the goddess and the god before it, an offering bowl to the left, a pentacle inscribed box in the centre and an incense burner to the right. At the front of the table are four tealight candles for the elementals (the corners or whoever you may call them).

It's simple and suits me.

Comment

Erox, have you tried using an iron and paper towels to get the wax out? Place the warm iron on top of a couple of paper towels and just watch and wait...the heat will melt the wax, which will then wick up into the paper.
                          Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

Originally posted by DeseretRose View Post
                            Erox, have you tried using an iron and paper towels to get the wax out? Place the warm iron on top of a couple of paper towels and just watch and wait...the heat will melt the wax, which will then wick up into the paper.
                            Old newspapers work well for this too.
                            Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
                            -Erik Erikson

Comment

I have three altars in my bedroom. The first is a simple prayer/devotional altar with a candle for Apollo and a box where I keep my ritual jewelry. I keep my set of the Olympian Oracle on this altar too. It's nothing extravagant, just the highest dresser that my cat can't reach. There's also a selenite wand for healing work. It's not an official shrine to Apollo, but I guess if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck....

My other two altars are the top of a book shelf and the first "true" shelf. The lower one is my ancestor shrine, with mementos of loved ones and offerings I leave behind for them (Necco candies, a pack of marlboro reds, other things they found appealing). This just has a black plaid scarf at the bottom, various little square-shaped mirrors and the prayer cards you get at funerals.

My third altar is my main working altar. As per how we do things in ADF it always contains a representation of our three hallows: The Fire, the well, and tree. Being a Hellenic Druid I also keep the omphalos stone there as well. This is also where I keep my loose gemstones for grid-charging too. The other items on there change depending on what I'm using or not using. It's in desperate need of some remodeling, I just haven't found any scarves I like enough to line it.

In fact.. all of my altars are in desperate need of some remodeling. Maybe I'll go check some pictures of other altars for inspiration :P
                              ADF Dedicant of .

"Good humor is a tonic for mind and body. It is the best antidote for anxiety and depression. It is a business asset. It attracts and keep friends. It lightens human burdens. It is the direct route to serenity and contentment." -Greenville Kleiser

Comment

Working...
                              X