This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Come Little Children"

Many people have heard a version of this poem in the movie Hocus Pocus but apparently it's a real poem, and as far as I can tell nobody knows who really wrote it.

Come little children I'll take thee away
    into a land of Enchantment

Come little children the time's come to play
    here in my garden of Shadows

Follow sweet children I'll show thee the way
    through all the pain and the Sorrows

Weep not poor children for life is this way
    murdering beauty and Passions

Hush now dear children it must be this way
    to weary of life and Deceptions

Rest now my children for soon we'll away
    into the calm and the Quiet

Come little children I'll take thee away
    into a land of Enchantment

Come little children the time's come to play
    here in my garden of Shadows

I find it kind of sad, but beautiful. It sounds to me like it could have been part of the Charge of the Horned God or something. :/
    Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
    -Erik Erikson

Re: "Come Little Children"

Seems to me like it could also be based on something that originated around the plague years as well. Lots of dark and creepy stuff came up then that made its way into popular culture!

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
      Seems to me like it could also be based on something that originated around the plague years as well. Lots of dark and creepy stuff came up then that made its way into popular culture!

I agree with this, actually. And now I want to do a little bit of digging about it, because curiosity is a horrible wonderful thing... hmm.
      It's a really, really cool thing, to be able to show people that you can be yourself, and you should be proud of yourself, and you should own who you are and what you're about, and never make apologies for it.
      -Adam Lambert

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Comment

Hmmm.

Well, some sources say Poe--granted they aren't very reputable. I'm inclined to think that's a load of bull-poo though, as I have read quite literally everything that Poe has ever written. I have never come across this in any of his anthologies, and it doesn't seem like him. Poe worded things quite a bit differently, and the rhyming scheme doesn't really fit something he would do. None of it does, really.

The other opinion is that John Debney, a composer famous for having his hand in quite a few cookie jars, is responsible for the whole thing (he did the music for Hocus Pocus in 1996). Prior to that, he worked on some television shows, and SINCE then, he's done the music for quite a few well-known movies. It appears he works on several projects a year. However, I couldn't find any information on whether or not he was the lyricist behind Sara's song in Hocus Pocus, or just the composer of the music. These are two very separate entities...

So the search continues!
        It's a really, really cool thing, to be able to show people that you can be yourself, and you should be proud of yourself, and you should own who you are and what you're about, and never make apologies for it.
        -Adam Lambert

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Comment

Yeah, Poe surely didn't write it. I've seen other people say that they have his collected works and whatnot also and had never seen this poem. And yeah, it totally doesn't sound like him either.

Hocus Pocus was made in 1993, by the way.
          Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
          -Erik Erikson

Comment

Love this movie and this poem. It sounds familiar but it's defiantly not Poe
            Circe

Comment

Working...
            X