This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The strangest book you've read

Didn't a guy called Konstantinos do "Nocturnal Witchcraft" on similar lines? Or at least, it looks similar. I'm sure I've seen a book called "Gothic Grimoire" as well somewhere.

Comment

Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco. I give you warning right now about this book. I concider myself a GOOD reader,but reading this book was HARD. it was the hardest book I ever read. The subject is something like the series that was made into movies "Angels and Demons" "The Da Vinci Code" but a bit more mistic. If you read any of Umberto Eco's works,be prepared for a long and hard read..but it does contain some interesting stuff.

---------- Post added 12-20-2011 at 12:00 AM ---------- Previous post was 12-19-2011 at 11:56 PM ----------

Check out this link for a better explanation on this book.

MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
      NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
      don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
      http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
        Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco. I give you warning right now about this book. I concider myself a GOOD reader,but reading this book was HARD. it was the hardest book I ever read. The subject is something like the series that was made into movies "Angels and Demons" "The Da Vinci Code" but a bit more mistic. If you read any of Umberto Eco's works,be prepared for a long and hard read..but it does contain some interesting stuff.

---------- Post added 12-20-2011 at 12:00 AM ---------- Previous post was 12-19-2011 at 11:56 PM ----------

Check out this link for a better explanation on this book.

http://www.themodernword.com/eco/eco_humanitas90.html

I love this book. It's one of my favorite novels.

Comment

Was it Amber Kay who wrote that the Jack O Lantern was used by witches to escape persecution by wearing them on their heads which scared off on-lookers and allowed them to reach their secret meeting place? I think I actually peed a little when I read it. She said her coven reinact this. If my HPS had asked me to walk around outside with a pumpkin on my head, I'd have told her to see a shrink.

I don't remember the book, just that (I think) it was Amber Kay. If so, THIS is a good canditate in my estimation. Also maybe Bucklands Big Blue Book of SnM was a giggle. Oh and a book called 'faericraft' which I think was co-written by a couple, with a double barrel second name, which I have forgotten. No kidding, it used Fairy kings and queens in place of deities and you needed a glittery wand with a star on the end to cast your spells. I couldn't put it down!
          夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

I've successfully blotted out the name of the book and the author - I use both words in their loosest possible sense - but it claimed to teach an authentic system of Pictish Magic. Quite some trick since the world's best experts in Pictish history still haven't even been able to decipher the Pictish Symbol Stones.

Of course, the book was simply a poorly written collection of basic Celtic Magic with names changed and some photos of the author looking like an extra from Braveheart.

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
              I don't remember the book, just that (I think) it was Amber Kay. If so, THIS is a good canditate in my estimation. Also maybe Bucklands Big Blue Book of SnM was a giggle. Oh and a book called 'faericraft' which I think was co-written by a couple, with a double barrel second name, which I have forgotten. No kidding, it used Fairy kings and queens in place of deities and you needed a glittery wand with a star on the end to cast your spells. I couldn't put it down!
              Big Blue Book of SnM? The first, second and err, third thoughts that come to mind at that title are nsfw.
              Last edited by MaskedOne; 19 Mar 2012, 08:58.
              life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

How did I miss this thread?

Maiden Magick, by CC Brondwin. Never heard of her? Neither has anyone else. It was my first book on magic as a teen, and I gobbled it up like it was truth. I still keep it to this day for nostalgia's sake, but it's mostly about spells to make yourself invincible, and how to cast spells to get good grades in school and shit.

It's awful.

Mostly art.

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post

Yeah, Amber K seems to be good for a lot of laughs. Her history alone in the book I mentioned was just laughable and kept only for such purposes. As for the blue book...that may as well be S&M based on how painful it was to read.

I also think I know which faery book you're talking about. Some of those you just can't tell if they're joking or if it was meant as a children's fiction book.
                  my etsy store
                  My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
                  surrounded by plush, downy things,
                  ill prepared, but willing,
                  to descend."

Comment

The House at Pooh Corners.

Comment

I haven't read a ton, but I think I'd have to say Raymond Buckland's book of spirit communications ... though I've really only read a little bit of it. I haven't read anything else by him, and I'm not so sure of that guy. First of all, the fact that he was a comedy writer is kind of off putting. Secondly, very early in the book he states (without any citations) that ESP has been well proven for a long time, and I see that he also talks about ectoplasm in the book, and shows a picture of some guy exuding it or whatever. In looking up ectoplasm it turns out that it has never been scientifically proven to exist. I'm pretty suspect of this author.

Comment

Originally posted by LirvA View Post
                        I haven't read a ton, but I think I'd have to say Raymond Buckland's book of spirit communications ... though I've really only read a little bit of it. I haven't read anything else by him, and I'm not so sure of that guy. First of all, the fact that he was a comedy writer is kind of off putting. Secondly, very early in the book he states (without any citations) that ESP has been well proven for a long time, and I see that he also talks about ectoplasm in the book, and shows a picture of some guy exuding it or whatever. In looking up ectoplasm it turns out that it has never been scientifically proven to exist. I'm pretty suspect of this author.
                        Most of Buckland's Book of Spirit Communications is based on the practices of Spiritism that originated with Allen Kardec in the 1800s. It's definitely weird stuff, but Buckland didn't come up w/it on his own.
                        The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Working...
                        X