Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Atheist Paganism equated to just being called a 'witch'?

Mar 2009
    Religion
    Finding sanctity.
    Phrase
    Mistress of the Ban

Atheist Paganism equated to just being called a 'witch'?

There's a post on r/occult (reddit) that asks about what kind of paths people follow. I answered with 'atheist pagan' and somebody said something that kinda bothered me.

Do you equate being an atheist pagan (or secular humanist, or naturalist pagan, or humanist pagan) to be 'just a witch'? I was a little offended by the remark, which suggested it was just easier to call myself a witch, but I disagree.

Because I'm not a witch.

What do you think?
    “The world is big and I want to have a good look at it before it gets dark.” – John Muir

Mostly art.

Re: Atheist Paganism equated to just being called a 'witch'?

If you only work magic, I would say you are a witch, but if you do not work magic, or it is not your main practice, than atheist pagan is what you are if that is how you define yourself. Then again, even if you do practice magic and don't consider yourself a witch, than, simply, you are not a witch and that responder is rather presumptuous. Not to mention that pagan and witch, and even atheist, are such widespread terms with several different meanings to the individuals who claim those titles. Hell, I've been talking to an atheist magician/occultist and psionist on another forum that doesn't believe in energy bodies and that sort of thing... I didn't think that was possible!

Long story short, you are what you are and what you define yourself as through your own beliefs and practices. That's what I think.

Oct 2006
    Phrase
    I am a leaf on the wind...

Hell, I'm a Shamanic pagan; I do some energy work and I don't call myself a witch. I *personally* think that the term witch applies to certain specific groups. Pagan of any sort does not automatically equal "witch" in my book. Especially Atheist Pagan. I'd consider the source/group and take it with a Grain of salt. I tried to communicate with the "pagan" people on Gaia Online once. Once. Big mistake. Reddit, albeit a different demographic, ranks up there among troll haven and I wouldn't go there myself looking for meaningful discussion. But I'm also very biased. I like PF over any other place. :P
    “Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.”
    ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
    Sneak Attack
    Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Mar 2009
    Religion
    Jedi
    Phrase
    The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant compared to the power of the Force.

No.
    I've dealt with spellcasters that don't acknowledge gods and don't take up the title witch and I've met atheists that adopt elements of pagan philosophy withput much in the way of craftwork.Combining both of those groups and several more theistic groups under the single banner of witch doesn't seem useful to me.
    "It is not simply enough to know the light…a Jedi must feel the tension between the two sides of the Force…in himself and in the universe."
    ―Thon

"When to the Force you truly give yourself, all you do expresses the truth of who you are,"

Yoda

Yoda told stories, and ate, and cried, and laughed: and the Padawans saw that life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Mar 2009
    Religion
    Finding sanctity.
    Phrase
    Mistress of the Ban

Yeah, okay. See, that's what I thought too, but I wasn't sure if I was the only person who had that view point. The argument brought up was that I was 'misleading' people by saying I was pagan because it automatically implies polytheism, and therefore, atheist paganism is an oxymoron.

I thought the dude was an oxy-moron, personally, but I thought I'd have a double-check just in case I was the one in the wrong. Heaven forbid a pagan use the wrong terminology!

Quote Originally Posted by Juniper View Post
    Hell, I'm a Shamanic pagan; I do some energy work and I don't call myself a witch. I *personally* think that the term witch applies to certain specific groups. Pagan of any sort does not automatically equal "witch" in my book. Especially Atheist Pagan. I'd consider the source/group and take it with a Grain of salt. I tried to communicate with the "pagan" people on Gaia Online once. Once. Big mistake. Reddit, albeit a different demographic, ranks up there among troll haven and I wouldn't go there myself looking for meaningful discussion. But I'm also very biased. I like PF over any other place. :P
    I agree. I'm not on the pagan subreddits for their meaningful discussion. I usually just comment once in a while to help a fellow out. PF is the only pagan forum for meeeee!
    “The world is big and I want to have a good look at it before it gets dark.” – John Muir

Mostly art.

Oct 2006
    Phrase
    I am a leaf on the wind...

Quote Originally Posted by volcaniclastic View Post
    Yeah, okay. See, that's what I thought too, but I wasn't sure if I was the only person who had that view point. The argument brought up was that I was 'misleading' people by saying I was pagan because it automatically implies polytheism, and therefore, atheist paganism is an oxymoron.

I thought the dude was an oxy-moron, personally, but I thought I'd have a double-check just in case I was the one in the wrong. Heaven forbid a pagan use the wrong terminology!
    Oxymoron always reminds me of Renaissance Man.

Quote Originally Posted by volcaniclastic View Post
    I agree. I'm not on the pagan subreddits for their meaningful discussion. I usually just comment once in a while to help a fellow out. PF is the only pagan forum for meeeee!
    Woot woot!!!
    “Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.”
    ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
    Sneak Attack
    Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Jan 2013
    Religion
    Hermetics

Out of curiosity, what do you mean when you define yourself as an 'atheistic pagan'? It sounds to me like you mean that you follow the ideals/interests/lifestyles that would generally be considered pagan, but don't believe the deities involved? Or possibly believe, but don't worship them?

As for the 'witch' thing, I don't think it fits at all. To me, the label of Witch isn't a spiritual or cultural one, but a title designated to those who's magical or other occult practices conforms to a particular category.

Bronze Member iflewoverthecuckoosnest's Avatar
    Dec 2012
    Religion
    Searching, drawn to Mayan mythology and Eastern Religions
    Phrase
    Sri Ram Jai Ram Jai Jai Ram Sita Ram Sita Ram.

Atheist pagan most certainly does not mean "witch". If you practice some form of magick, you are a witch, and I certainly don't see that as fundamental to being an atheistic pagan. Whoever said that probably didn't know what they were talking about.

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*
    Nope, a witch is someone that practices witchcraft and self-identifies as a witch. There most certainly is a subset of Paganism that is atheistic, humanistic, naturalistic, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
    Out of curiosity, what do you mean when you define yourself as an 'atheistic pagan'? It sounds to me like you mean that you follow the ideals/interests/lifestyles that would generally be considered pagan, but don't believe the deities involved? Or possibly believe, but don't worship them?
    Not speaking for V here, but for a number of people, this would be an accurate summary.
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

Mar 2013
    Religion
    Celtic Panentheist
    Phrase
    Live like you might die tomorrow--but so you won't be ashamed if you don't.

I have never heard of an atheist pagan, so I wouldn't have called you a witch, if it's any comfort. I would have just said, "huh? how can you be an atheist pagan?"

It only makes sense to me if you're "pagan" in the sense of "not of the abrahamic religions".

I'm sure it might make sense to me if explained, but my first reaction would be "huh?" not "omg, ur a witch and you better call yourself one!" lol.

I don't know how it's anyone else's business what you call yourself, though.