This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ThorsSon View Post
    the square root of -1 is FREAKING WEIRD!!!!
    Imaginaries always amused me for some reason.
    life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
      Imaginaries always amused me for some reason.
      because they are fascinating... I have thought that the name for the square root of negative numbers was quite appropriate... "Imaginary"... perhaps i (the square root of -1) is god.

-----------

kidding... please do not take this post to indicate that I believe in a god
      "Don't ever miss a good opportunity to shut up." - Harvey Davis "Gramps"

Comment

No one tells the wind which way to blow.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by dgirl1986 View Post
            I havent read all of the content so I apologize if this has been covered, but...

I am an Atheist also and I am trying to find my spot spiritually and am currently going through testing different things. One thing I wonder is what do you think of Tarot?
            Since I do not believe in anything more than the possibility of the supernatural and do not believe in gods, fairies, spirits, ghosts, or anything else unexplained and seemingly far-fetched, I do not use tarot as a scrying tool. Instead, I find it to be a powerful social and emotional tool. I do not ask questions for myself, like I said, I don't believe, but when my friends ask me to throw cards for them, I oblige. After all, what they're really asking for is advice so I give them advice. Sure, it's tarot advice but chances are they they've already consulted in me about their problems so it's easy as hell to 'read' the cards.

After all, since tarot so much relies on having a relationship with the deck and whatnot, it is basically saying that it's all up for personal interpretation. It's just proverbs with pictures, and everyone can get use out of proverbs.

This all sounds like I'm manipulating my friends. I hope you understand.

Comment

Originally posted by dgirl1986 View Post
              But science doesnt know everything...yet
              Investigations of physical laws often raise more questions than they answer.

The interference pattern produced when a coherent light source is shone through parallel slits onto a background shows us that light travels as waves. However, when photons are induced to pass through individually their discrete impacts are probabilistic. Photons as particles therefore demonstrate an awareness of their function as wave components without having any intrinsic qualities to which this behaviour can be attributed. The same phenomenon has also been observed in similar experiments involving electrons, atoms and some molecules.

I believe that dead matter exists in symbiosis with living matter and that the motion of dead matter orbiting the Sun is governed by the same intangible laws which determine events on Earth. Although an advanced understanding of Astrology can give us clues, any science is limited by the limitations of man.

Comment

Work hard Play hard.
                What is history?

Comment

Originally posted by Amadi View Post
                  I gotst one:

If you previously followed a faith, why did you turn towards Atheism?
                  My faith led me to it.

Sounds sarcastic, but my "faith" requires exploration, experimentation, and removal of self delusion.
                  Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

I gotst one:

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                    My faith led me to it.

Sounds sarcastic, but my "faith" requires exploration, experimentation, and removal of self delusion.
                    This. Soooooooooo much this. I couldn't have said it better myself.

Comment

I gotst one:

It was a false faith for me. I was raised Catholic. But found I actually never believed in a deity. Even as a young Catholic girl doing her prayers. It never connected with me. At all. And I had to find my own level.
                      Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

I gotst one:

fascination with science. The more I learned about science, the smaller and smaller the box that enclosed "god" got, and I finally had to admit to myself that there is no justifiable reason to believe in the supernatural.

Comment

I gotst one:

I wasn't raised under a religion, but I did try the opposite, turning toward faith. I'm pretty sure (no offense, personal opinion here) that religious experiences are just delusions, but they're delusions I'd like to have. I genuinely think my life would be better and I'd be happier if I had god/s.

So I pretty much tried to force my mind open to faith. Unfortunately, faith isn't really something you can force. So I gave up on that eventually. I'm just not capable of believing things on faith alone, I need some modicum of evidence.

Anyway, I've come a ways since then in terms of personal acceptance, and beyond just religious views too. S'all good.
                          Yikes, all that cultural appropriation that used to be here tho

Comment

I gotst one:

Because all experiences, or lack there of, pointed towards there being no gods
                            There is something pagan in me that I cannot shake off. In short, I deny nothing, but doubt everything. - Lord Byron

Come forth into the light of things, let nature be your teacher. -
                            William Wordsworth

Comment

I gotst one:

Science has results.

Comment

Originally posted by Roknrol View Post
                                Holy crap, when did you turn to the Dark Side?
                                somewhere between 5-7 years ago... not sure when the switch flipped, exactly.

I just found myself realizing that I no longer believed in god(s)... but I don't remember a single ah-ha moment.

As you said, science has results... god(s) do(es)n't

Comment

Working...
                                X