This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ask an Atheïst

Quick poll of the group: how many atheists believe in the concept of the soul? It just struck me today that we don't have one. It was a harder blow than I'd anticipated and so I was wondering if this is just one of the steps towards truth, so to speak.

So, guys?
    No one tells the wind which way to blow.

Comment

I have no idea. Soul is of emotion. Emotion is of chemicals. The ladder down on that one leads to a biological answer I'd rather not really care about.

I dunno.
      Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Bjorn View Post
        Quick poll of the group: how many atheists believe in the concept of the soul? It just struck me today that we don't have one. It was a harder blow than I'd anticipated and so I was wondering if this is just one of the steps towards truth, so to speak.

So, guys?
        Hey miss agnostic, I have absolutely no idea I err on the side of definitely maybe.
        Yikes, all that cultural appropriation that used to be here tho

Comment

So, guys?
          Our legacy is the only part of us that lives on when we die. Of that, I am pretty damn sure. So, invest in cryogenics and life extension folks! At any rate, even if we did have a "soul" I don't think that would be "us." Who we are depends on our brain, something goes kaput in yer noggin then you aren't you anymore. If we had souls that were us, then that shouldn't happen.

Aside from that, people have "essence" or rather that is to say people feel like themselves. I can look at something my mom wrote and it just feels like her, but that is most likely just a quirk of how our brains work. We do most of our thinking subconsciously after all.
          Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

When we aren't 'aware' of ourselves, like when we sleep, are we soulless?
            Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

So, guys?
              In Alchemy, there is a thing called a "soul." It's created by the emotional feelings one has for another, or for a thing, and isn't much like the generally accepted definition of the soul.

So - yes and no.
              Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
                Good question.

I've been contemplating the following:

Soul vs Consciousness

Brain = Consciousness? ------> (is that why I don't feel like bugs and plants are 'sentient,' like animals and humans?)

Soul is supernatural. There's no evidence for it. I ain't got one. OUCH.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Quetzal View Post
                Hey miss agnostic, I have absolutely no idea I err on the side of definitely maybe.
                But what do you think?

Comment

But what do you think?
                  If I had to hazard a guess at something it's not possible to know for sure? Then probably not. The brain is probably the source of everything you are. The concept of a soul is likely just something thought up because we don't want to think that after we die, everything we ever were or would have been ceases to exist.

Of the two options, soul or no soul, no soul is the most likely.
                  Yikes, all that cultural appropriation that used to be here tho

Comment

So, guys?
                    I have no belief in a soul.
                    "Don't ever miss a good opportunity to shut up." - Harvey Davis "Gramps"

Comment

Originally posted by Quetzal View Post
                      If I had to hazard a guess at something it's not possible to know for sure? Then probably not. The brain is probably the source of everything you are. The concept of a soul is likely just something thought up because we don't want to think that after we die, everything we ever were or would have been ceases to exist.

Of the two options, soul or no soul, no soul is the most likely.
                      Wasn't so hard, was it? XD

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by ThorsSon View Post
                      I have no belief in a soul.
                      Yeah, I just realized today it didn't make sense. Talk about old habits dying hard, I didn't even notice until I actually said it. "Wait, there's no such thing as a soul."

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                      In Alchemy, there is a thing called a "soul." It's created by the emotional feelings one has for another, or for a thing, and isn't much like the generally accepted definition of the soul.

So - yes and no.
                      How are yes and no different in this instance?

Comment

So, guys?
                        Well, take a deep breath.

First, nothing has changed. You are the same person you were a week ago (just with a week's experience tacked on), so no reason to panic.

Does it bother you that there aren't angels? Or that Hell doesn't really exist? So no need to sweat other made up words

What we consider to be a "soul" is...well...intelligence and consciousness. That hasn't changed at all - there are still good and bad people (good and bad souls).

But maybe I do understand what you mean.

For me, the "soul" crisis was about the afterlife though, not about the soul (although for me they went hand in hand). It was the revelation that between now and the next 50 years or so I won't exist anymore.

Then I realized that if I wasn't going to exist anymore, I probably wouldn't be in a position to have an opinion about it anyway.

So I thought about it - quite a bit - and I realized that if it was going to get done by me, it would have to get done NOW, because tomorrow is not a guarantee. "It" being...well...whatever. There will not be another life for me to be a rock star or an actor - if it's going to happen, it has to happen in this one.

Does it bother me? I guess, sometimes, but I chalk that up to the brainwashing I underwent for the first 25 years of my life.

I think this is another one of those many "lies to make you feel better about life" things - like "you suffer now but you'll be rewarded in the afterlife" deals. And as an Atheist I can see how much of a disservice those lies are to humanity There is a lot of wasted energy and effort on things that don't matter, because we're told that the things that DO matter, don't.

- - - Updated - - -

Forgot to mention: My entire life the whole "rewarded in the afterlife" thing always reminded me of those shady life insurance salesmen - sure, of course, the check's in the mail. I'll tell you what: You *show* me what I stand to gain, then I'll decide if it's worth the effort. If I don't get to see the prize first, I've learned, that it probably doesn't exist anyway - and that almost pissed me off more because so many other people have been sucked into that lie and are effectively wasting their potential because they trusted someone that was supposed to care about them.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
                        I know that Dream Rok has done some pretty shitty things that Real Rok probably wouldn't do.

- - - Updated - - -

Other thoughts:

Since converting and re-addressing most of these questions over the last few years, I have a whole newfound respect for the written language (not that this was lacking before, but a renewal is good anyway ).

Think about, say, movies or TV shows from the 1970's. Have they held up well? How about music? What's the OLDEST song you can think of? Meanwhile, we are almost able to figure out what our predecessors (via cave paintings) experienced. We can really understand what someone 6000 years ago experienced. And that person hasn't existed for 6000 years.

THAT is some powerful stuff, AFAIC. I have gained a new interest in antique items because someone 200 years ago made it. With their hands, their blood, their sweat, and often their tears. It wasn't some machine produced piece of stamped out metal, but something hand carved or hand written. There was a brain involved. A "soul". And that is gone now...but their imprint is still around.

It has motivated me to start writing again. To start investing in the arts. To stop wasting my time with stupid projects that I'm never going to finish. To indulge in those things that I was told were a waste of my time when I was younger. Why? Because it is an experience I may never have another opportunity to get. Ever. And that's a long motherfucking time.

If I'm 80 years old in a home I can accept that. But I do not want to be incapable doing the things that I wanted to do. I would rather have done them, and enjoy reflecting on that, than lamenting my caution and my hesitation. I don't want to hear stories about those that did anymore. I want to do.

- - - Updated - - -

Man, I'm not going to be able to let this go.

I will admit that it is a little disappointing to know that I can't explain or describe that feeling to a lot of people. Their answer is simply, "Well, then believe in God!"...but you're aware, that doesn't solve the problem. Believing in the invisible unicorn in my kitchen doesn't make it exist.
                        Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's Relativity.
                        - Albert Einstein

“It is not necessary to accept the choices handed down to you by life as you know it.” - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

So, guys?
                          I am unsure when it comes to the concept of the soul. People use it to describe personality and traits but personality is meant to come from your frontal lobe...so who knows.
                          There is something pagan in me that I cannot shake off. In short, I deny nothing, but doubt everything. - Lord Byron

Come forth into the light of things, let nature be your teacher. -
                          William Wordsworth

Comment

Working...
                          X