"Immigrants take our jobs"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Immigrants take our jobs"

I hate statements like this and every time I see them on facebook I want to give the person who posted it an earfull.

Aside from the many flaws in the statement itself, I am an immigrant (I moved here and gained citizenship after being born in Canada, and yes I have German background but I didn't grow up here) and I work, so it just feels a bit personal. Luckily the statements rarely come from Germans I know and almost always come from people back home. My experience here is also that being on the other side of it, it's HARDLY that easy.

/rant

Re: "Immigrants take our jobs"

Here in the states, especially the southwest (California, Arizona, Nevada, New Mexico & Texas), we've been hearing it for years.

Yes, some places do hire more non-natives. Yes, there are illegals working here.

But almost every morning, coming home from a relatively well-paying, do-nothing, good benefits job, I see crowds of 'day-workers' standing outside hardware stores, hoping to be able to make a little money that day so they can take care of themselves and their families.

We've got a problem with a wall outside, where damage had occurred to the stucco & rain got behind it, & now that wall is crumbling to pieces. Once I get off of medical leave & start getting paychecks again, we're going to have to get it fixed. We could do it ourselves, but the problem was there when we bought the house almost 8 years ago, and it's currently covered w/duct tape. I don't know exactly how to fix it and my husband & mother-in-law never seem to be able to 'get around to it'.

We've (me, my husband, & the mother-in-law) have all talked to various friends, neighbors, contracting companies, guys in hardware stores, you name it. Either they 'don't do small jobs', 'don't do stucco', or have an hour/parts/labor minimum that could be justified if we needed the whole wall replaced, but it's a patch job - and we're buying the materials. So, you know who we're going to turn to when we're able to afford it?

Yeah, those guys in front of the hardware store. Whose job are they taking, exactly?
    The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

This reminds me of an article I read a few years ago were a few states researched the "immigrant job theft" subject. These states posted the top 10 jobs immigrants typically work in their state run career centers and job search web sites. Over the course of the study only a handful of inquiries about these jobs were recorded and. None of the positions were filled.
      If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows. ---Henry Ward Beecher

Comment

My husband was pondering yesterday about how country music is more popular amongst Republicans, who have strong feelings against illegal immigration from Mexico (and therefore often have negative feelings about Mexicans in general), and yet so many country songs are about going to Mexico to relax on the beaches.

I just had to mention that for some reason :

I think that it gets to be most annoying because it's something that people parrot... they don't give much thought to it, they just repeat the same bumper sticker lines over and over without actually having any debate about it with other people.

Comment

People who often have these opinions also often support cheap products that involve low-wage labour, which often involves illegal immigrants to do. If you don't like it, stop buying products that support it!

Comment

Arrogant teens fresh out of high school take my jobs... bastards <.<

Comment

Re: &quot;Immigrants take our jobs&quot;

Originally posted by Ljubezen View Post
              Arrogant teens fresh out of high school take my jobs... bastards <.<
              As one of those teens who can't get a day job because I am too ambitious and "over-qualified" because I tried hard in school I take offence to that. 3 out of 4 youths in central Scotland are suffering because of unemployment, lack of jobs and low minimum wage positions.
              It's a problem for us "arrogant teens" as well...
              "You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me"- CS Lewis

https://www.facebook.com/KimberlyHagenART

Comment

I have an associate's and am in a uni completing both of my 4-year degrees; and every interview I've been on-they have chosen the 18 year old fresh out of high school. Trust me, these ones aren't "over-qualified"...

---------- Post added at 03:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:27 PM ----------

And I haven't been able to get any real job. I know it's not just me, but it is infuriating and the point is-it's not immigrants that are taking the jobs I've been applying for :P

Comment

Originally posted by FantasyWitch View Post
                  As one of those teens who can't get a day job because I am too ambitious and "over-qualified" because I tried hard in school I take offence to that. 3 out of 4 youths in central Scotland are suffering because of unemployment, lack of jobs and low minimum wage positions.
                  It's a problem for us "arrogant teens" as well...
                  I had the same problem in Canada when I was out of high school too. And unemployment is low in my province now, but when I lived there it was fairly high, especially for youths. All I can say is 'hang in there'....it's not easy and it sucks to work hard at something only to be told you worked 'too hard', but I think sometime soon it will pay off!

---------- Post added at 10:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:34 PM ----------

Originally posted by Ljubezen View Post
                  I have an associate's and am in a uni completing both of my 4-year degrees; and every interview I've been on-they have chosen the 18 year old fresh out of high school. Trust me, these ones aren't "over-qualified"...

---------- Post added at 03:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:27 PM ----------

And I haven't been able to get any real job. I know it's not just me, but it is infuriating and the point is-it's not immigrants that are taking the jobs I've been applying for :P
                  I think your problem is not the 18 year olds but the kinds of jobs you need to get based on those qualifications aren't really student friendly. When you grad you'll be in a much better position!

How badly do you need money? Could you do internships to build experience?

Comment

Yeah that really is the problem. I'm above the minimum wage positions and below everything else. I have a mortgage and a husband without a work permit... It's awesome, but I'm still trying. Won't be graduating for a couple more years though >.<

I could do internships, but the problem is that there are no internships out there right now that I'm able to do that relate to the career field (psychology and biology) just yet. I sort of missed the fall boat because I was in the middle of transferring to a new Uni at the time Hopefully next year!

What's that phrase... time fixes everything. I'm waiting it out Also, I hear Kmart is hiring haha!

Comment

Hang in there!

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                        X