Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Friend's Pet Hates Me

Oct 2006
    Phrase
    I am a leaf on the wind...

Friend's Pet Hates Me

This cat hates me. I don't know why.

I've tried bribing him with food he supposedly loves (even while blindfolded once), I've been here for several days and even washed my clothes with her detergent so I know it's not a scent thing. Every night is a freakin circus show because he hides under the bed that I sleep on and when we try to get him out, he screams at us all.

I'm debating getting a hotel room because I'm sick of it and don't wanna hear it anymore.

Anyone have suggestions? I don't need for him to love me, but I just want him to stop hiding under my bed and to stop screaming when I get close.
    “Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.”
    ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
    Sneak Attack
    Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

The Gaze of the Abyss B. de Corbin's Avatar
    Feb 2007
    Religion
    Alchemist and Neo-American Redneck Buddhist
    Frozen Northern Michigan, near Thunder Bay
    Phrase
    Where are the tweezers?

Re: Friend's Pet Hates Me

Maybe you two knew each other in a past life...

The only thing I can think of is to ignore the cat. If you leave it be long enough, it may decide to hold a truce. Cats tend to be very territorial, and you are invading it's territory. I suspect that an adjustment period is needed.

Good luck - mad cats are hard to deal with...
    Those who have suffered understand suffering and therefore extend their hand.

I can't do everything, but I can do something.

Oct 2006
    Phrase
    I am a leaf on the wind...

Yeah, that's what I've resorted to doing. I just ignore him now. He reacted this way a few years ago, too, when I came to visit for one night. My friend said that the only other person he's reacted this way to is her sister's daughter but that they are more or less on good terms now and that it only took a few days. lol
    “Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.”
    ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
    Sneak Attack
    Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Shamanic
    Phrase
    The rabid leg humper.

If all else fails try catnip. At the very least it will keep the cat distracted.
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows. ---Henry Ward Beecher

Jun 2007
    Religion
    Norse Something-or-Other
    Phrase
    Nice is not the same as good.

Oh, wow...I'm sorry but I just laughed so hard watching that. It improved an otherwise miserable morning.

Couple of ideas:

Based on what you said, it's you, not the clothes, etc, right? Do you have more then one pair of shoes? I've seen cats flip out about boots in a generally non-boot household before.

Try just reading in the same room, ignoring the cat, for a couple of hours. Not so close the cat flips out, but someplace where it knows you're there. Being around but ignoring it. Have your friend come in and out, and behave as normal.

Whatever the case, good luck! I know the feeling...I had dogs scare me as a kid, and it took me a while as an adult to get used to them, but some will just go nuts around me, very aggressive, barking, etc...often dogs that aren't normally like that, surprising the owners. It's pretty common all the time, but worse around my period. Makes me wonder if they can smell something "off" with my hormones and it scares them.

Cannibal Rights Activist Ophidia's Avatar
    Aug 2008
    Religion
    Ophidism
    Phrase
    I like Nature, just not on me.

Dab some tuna juice on you or your clothes, maybe?
    The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Celtic Pagan
    Phrase
    That was fun. Lets never do that again.

Sometimes the smell of oranges can drive cats a little crazy, maybe it smells something different about you
    "Otwarty świat; rany zamknięte."
    - Open world; Wounds closed.

One with the Force ChainLightning's Avatar
    Nov 2005
    Religion
    Polytheist with Pan-/Panen- tendencies.
    Phrase
    In the darkest recesses of your twisted mind, a G-rated version of me resides.

I'm familiar with that kind of behavior. The only pet we have, in this tiny house, is an irrational cat of Alissa's. It's taken me over a year to help her adjust to me. She still acts like that towards Kelly, though.

Things we've tried: Bribes (treats, food, catnip etc), submissive behavior (talking quieter, slower & more cautious walking/steps, cease pacing), changing appearance (removing shoes, hats etc)... nothing is sure-fire.

Well, what IS sure-fire is that she will be in hysterics any time we have company or when Kelly gets too close (anything less than about 8-10 feet).

Good luck, Juni!!!

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Oct 2011
    Religion
    Staroverci

I'm with DeseretRose on this one. Give it time, don't rush anything and just give the cat some time and space to get used to you being there. If you go in too quickly to try and 'befriend' it, you'll only end up making things worse.

I volunteer at a cat shelter that takes in a lot of extremely shy and sometimes aggressive cats It can be done, it just takes a lot of time.
    One other tip, don't reach for the cat... ever... If they see your hand coming toward their face they will flip out on you if they aren't used to you (or extremely friendly).

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Militant Atheist. The Satanic Temple.

At the risk of sounding unpopular, this is just a cat.

I am focusing mostly on getting it to take it's time ELSEWHERE. I would spray it with water until it hid somewhere else and THEN ignore it.
    No one tells the wind which way to blow.